Uber Drivers Forum banner

Airport Drop-Offs Warning

Tags
fines lyft uber
5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  boriscleto 
#1 · (Edited)
July 28 Update: Uber has agreement to serve Syracuse airport. See
https://uberpeople.net/threads/airport-drop-offs-warning.179536/#post-2810732
Lyft appears better than Uber at airport documentation and possibly airport coverage in Upstate-NY. Look here.
_____
At the moment, only Lyft (not Uber) can transport passengers to and from the airport. Lyft reached an agreement with the airport to pay $2 every time it picks up or drops off passengers there, on top of a one-time fee of $2,500. - June 29, 2017 - Lauren Long of UpStateNewYork

Warning: Even without an agreement, Uber may send you to the airport with a passenger. Uber has done this in the past with Connecticut drivers who received $1500 fines at Westchester County Airport when caught. Uber offered no support to these distressed "independent contractors" beyond "Would you like the name of a good lawyer?"
____

Lyft to pay Syracuse airport $2 for each pick-up, drop-off
Syracuse.com - June 23, 2017 By Patrick Lohmann

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The ride-booking app Lyft will pay the Syracuse airport $2 every time it picks up or drops off a passenger at the airport, executive director Christina Callahan said Friday.

The app will also pay a one-time fee of $2,500 to the airport to be used for signs and other "logistics" for designating an area for the ride-booking app to use on airport property, Callahan said.

She could not provide an estimate of how much money the airport would make off of Lyft a year, saying the airport would wait and see how much passengers actually use the app.

"We're not sure yet," she said. "That's something we're going to monitor."

An identical contract was offered to Lyft's competitor, Uber, but the airport has not yet heard back, Callahan said. Unless Uber responds and agrees to the contract, it will not be able to pick up passengers at the airport.

"As of today, Lyft has signed an agreement. Uber has not," Callahan said.

On Thursday, five young Uber staff members in black t-shirts sat behind Macbooks at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Syracuse.

The apps are arriving in Upstate New York on Thursday after they were legalized to operate here in the state budget passed in April. At the moment, New York City is the only place in the state where they operate.

In Buffalo, the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority agreed Thursday evening it would charge a $3.50 fee per ride in addition to a $5,000 "permit" fee to Lyft to allow it to pick up or drop off passengers, according to the Buffalo News.

See less See more
#4 ·
Official word from Uber is that we may drop riders off at Syracuse Hancock International Airport, but we cannot pick up riders there. I received a pickup from Uber for a rider that needed to go to the airport. Based on the news media reports, I believed that I could not drop off at the airport, so I told the rider that I could not take him there and he cancelled. He successfully received a pickup with Lyft.

At the end of the day I requested that Uber refund the cancellation fee to the customer because he was acting on my misinformation. They agreed.

#6 ·
If you are a Lyft Driver it is not obvious how to get rides from the Syracuse airport. Do you need to wait in the special area to the left of the terminal is marked for Lyft pick up and drop off. You then need to wait in line for your turn. A pink symbol will appear on your app if the system recognizes that you are there. This does not work in the new driver app. You must use the old Lyft app and go online as a driver so far. If you are not waiting in the proper area, you will never receive a call for a ride from the Syracuse airport.

#8 ·
http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Uber-has-agreement-to-serve-Syracuse-airport-11655936.php
Uber has agreement to serve Syracuse airport
By Eric Anderson Friday, July 28, 2017

Uber will begin operating at Syracuse International Airport after reaching an agreement with the airport. Syracuse is at least the second upstate airport that Uber serves; it already has an agreement with Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

The ride-hailing service has balked at airports' insistence that it use third-party "geofencing" to track its comings and goings at individual airports. Albany International Airport has levied a $2 fee per vehicle for ride-hailing services that pick up or drop off passengers, plus a one-time fee of $5,000 to set up the service.

Lyft agreed to the charges and has served the Albany airport since ride-hailing became legal upstate on June 29.

Buffalo's airport management, meanwhile, agreed to a $185,000 payment by Uber for access there.

A spokeswoman told the Times Union that Uber would prefer an upfront payment for Albany.

Uber continues to drop off passengers at Albany, but its smartphone app last week told passengers trying to get picked up at the airport that no vehicles were available.

At last Monday's Albany County Airport Authority board meeting, airport CEO John O'Donnell said Uber "has not responded to communication from the airport" since a conference call on July 10.

As of July 19, O'Donnell said, Uber also hadn't reached agreements in Rochester, Syracuse, Elmira, Binghamton or Ithaca.

Albany airport officials couldn't be reached Friday afternoon for comment.

"We are excited to welcome all ridesharing services to the airport and offer our passengers additional ground transportation options, making the arrival and departure process as seamless as possible," said Syracuse airport Executive Director Christina Callahan, in announcing the new service.

Callahan said the airport and Uber signed their agreement on Thursday.

#9 ·
I was all set to wait for fares originating at SYR Airport, based on the above article. Instead, I got a red banner telling me that my, "vehicle is not allowed to operate in upstate ny".

That's what I get in a red banner when I attempt to go online at Hancock International. I can go online anywhere else, so what's up? I thought we were set up to work at this airport. Lyft isn't having this problem.

Anyone else experiencing this issue ?

#10 ·
All I know is in the article. It is possible that something important has changed. I suggest that you contact Uber for a better answer. Please let the forum know anything you find out.

#12 ·
I try to log in to the Uber Driver app at the rideshare area and got this message as well. I left the pickup area and was able to log on. I went back to the pickup area and a message showed up on the Uber Driver app that explained how things work.
They don't want us waiting at the airport, especially in the rideshare pickup area. If someone wants a ride from the airport, the app will give the ride to someone dropping off at the airport or to someone in the nearby area.
The last three times I've dropped off, I have gotten a pickup request from the rideshare pickup area of the airport before I could leave the airport grounds.
It definitely helps make airport runs more profitable being able to get your next ride right there.

#14 ·
Does anyone know if there is a new Uber/Lyft pickup area at the Syracuse airport? The parking lot we have been using is now marked "Do Not Enter" and I have not seen a sign designating an area for us. This looks like a temporary situation during construction at the terminals, but I would not want to be ticketed because I picked up or dropped off someone at the wrong spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.