• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

AHA! I think I know the tech company's plan and why rates are so low ...

Kalee

The tech company does not WANT customers to become accustomed to enjoying the rideshare experience with drivers at the wheel.
They don't want customers to reach a point of liking the drivers.
So, the tech company does everything in it's power to rattle drivers, whether it be with low rates, no help with misbehaved pax, deactivating driver accounts, little to no help when an accident occurs, etc., etc.

The closer the tech company comes to launching it's fleet of driver-less vehicles, the worse they will make the driving experience for drivers. Towards the final year before the launch of autonomous vehicles, they will have drivers so disgruntled, depressed and struggling even more than they do today, that the drivers behaviors will be no better toward pax than the worst of the worst cab drivers are today. There will be no personable rideshare drivers near the end. Pax will hate all of us by that point.

And why is this the tech company's strategy?

Because once the driverless vehicle fleet is launched, pax will be so fed up with nasty drivers again that they will welcome autonomous cars with open arms at the $5 per mile the tech company intends to charge.

No tip necessary.

And no surge, because there are plenty enough driver-less cars for everyone ... everywhere. At $5 per mile.

Last edited:

Huberis

I assumed Uber would lease the driver-less cars. It will be another service offered to people with bigger pockets.

Txchick

The tech company does not WANT customers to become accustomed to enjoying the rideshare experience with drivers at the wheel.
So, the tech company does everything in it's power to rattle drivers, whether it be with low rates, no help with misbehaved pax, deactivating driver accounts, little to no help when an accident occurs, etc., etc.

The closer the tech company comes to launching it's fleet of driver-less vehicles, the worse they will make the driving experience for drivers. Towards the final year before the launch of autonomous vehicles, they will have drivers so disgruntled, depressed and struggling even more than they do today, that the drivers behaviors will be no better toward pax than the worst of the worst cab drivers are today. There will be no personable rideshare drivers near the end. Pax will hate all of us by that point.

Because once the driverless vehicle fleet is launched, pax will be so fed up with nasty drivers again that they will welcome autonomous cars with open arms at the $5 per mile the tech company intends to charge.

No tip necessary.

And no surge, because there are plenty enough driver-less cars for everyone ... everywhere. At $5 per mile.
That going to happen in the next 20 years?? I can guarantee that drivers driving now won't be in 5,10,20 years from now.

Kalee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So when do you think it will happen? You just said drivers driving now won't be in 5, 10 or 20 years. I proposed within 2 years and you say I'm wrong.

So the right answer, according to you, has to be either 3 or 4 years from now. Which is it?

Txchick

So when do you think it will happen? You just said drivers driving now won't be in 5, 10 or 20 years. I proposed within 2 years and you say I'm wrong.

So the right answer, according to you, has to be either 3 or 4 years from now. Which is it?
They are not going to have driverless cars in mass quanties in 2 years.

Tim In Cleveland

Good theory. It's pretty psycho to tell customers NOT to tip the drivers. The also do not allow employees and CSR's to be drivers also. Apparently, don't want them to see our point of view.

Choochie

No tip necessary.

I'll be dead by then and it won't matter. Not in the near future will it happen - too many variables. My guess. Just like Amazon will not be doing drones but for a different reason.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor

"Driverless" will be no different than cruise control. It will be a feature the driver can turn on and off temporarily when appropriate. It's not something that will be used 100% of the time. State laws require vehicles to be driven by people with valid state issued licenses, and cars don't qualify to be issued a license. So even with the driverless feature, the law will still require a licensed driver to be responsible for the opperation of the car. And assuming that would eventually change, using the licensed vehicle as a vehicle for hire has even more regulatory and insurance hoops to jump through.

Heck, airplanes are pretty much pilotless today. I've heard commercial airline pilots spend around 30 minutes a week actually piloting the plane. The rest of the time the plane is flown by computer. The pilots are essentially there for insurance, and if they weren't there insurance companies would charge far more to insure airlines than the salaries the pilots cost the airline. If you think finding insurance that covers ridesharing is crazy, just wait until the search for insuring driverless vehicles for hire comes to fruition.

There's a lot more to making this happen then just the technology to do it.

Choochie

"Driverless" will be no different than cruise control. It will be a feature the driver can turn on and off temporarily when appropriate. It's not something that will be used 100% of the time. State laws require vehicles to be driven by people with valid state issued licenses, and cars don't qualify to be issued a license. So even with the driverless feature, the law will still require a licensed driver to be responsible for the opperation of the car. And assuming that would eventually change, using the licensed vehicle as a vehicle for hire has even more regulatory and insurance hoops to jump through.

Heck, airplanes are pretty much pilotless today. I've heard commercial airline pilots spend around 30 minutes a week actually piloting the plane. The rest of the time the plane is flown by computer. The pilots are essentially there for insurance, and if they weren't there insurance companies would charge far more to insure airlines than the salaries the pilots cost the airline. If you think finding insurance that covers ridesharing is crazy, just wait until the search for insuring driverless vehicles for hire comes to fruition.

There's a lot more to making this happen then just the technology to do it.
Very true and scary that these pilots aren't really capable of commandeering these planes like the pilot who landed on the Hudson. We know what happens when conductors drive trains and there are no auto safety mechanisms in place. Govt will put a lot of regs in place as they should.

Huberis

UberHammer The kind of auto pilot you describe for cars pretty much exists already. I have a buddy living in Germany whose car can do what you described for short periods. It keeps the car on course, on the highway at speed and lets you text or fix your makeup for a couple seconds. That kind of thing.

The low rates - I mentioned this recently on some other thread: It seems to me that by having the rates so extraordinarily low, it is almost impossible for an Uber driver to undercut Travis and work under the table. A saturated market helps eliminate that ability too. Uber encourages drivers not to get commercial insurance, that too discourages drivers from truly developing their own business.

Those are just some thoughts, I'm not sure how valid they are. Travis is a control freak. He doesn't want any external competition and he sure doesn't want it coming from within.

KGB7

The amount of red tape, countless testing, high ass mother @@@@ing insurance rates. You wont see these cars on the roads for another 20 years.

Half the trunk on todays driver-less cars, is filled with computers. Where the ef is PAX supposed to put its laguage on the way to the airport??

Even 5 years from now, driverless cars would get 1 star rating all day long, as this cars unable to make a last second decision which route to take to avoid traffic.
Driver-less cars will become the most stolen vehicles, as they directed towards a chop-shop.

Dont forget drunk shift. Dozens of drunk kids freely puking inside one after another, smoking cigarettes and leaving cigarette buts inside the car that set the car on-fire.

Drugs runs? Sure, driver-less car will carry your 5 kilos of cocaine at lowest price then ever.

Countless PAX having sex in the car and leaving stains and bodily fluids all over for the next PAX to sit on.

I know i know, it will have some sort of safety feature. But guess what, computers are no where near human intelligence.. AI. And if such computer/software exists, no Taxi/uber/lyft/etc will be able to afford it for another 50 years, unless its mass produced to the point where its available in a microwave at a bestbuy.

UberIndyX

Not a chance. Another company will enter the market or Lyft will and the rates will be lower. Not gonna happen.

Enoch Shadkam

No tip necessary.

Will uber leased the cars through Santander?

Tim In Cleveland

"as this cars unable to make a last second decision which route to take to avoid traffic." They will if they use Waze which you can already use with Uber.