• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

After 5,500 Rides...First Puker

MoneyMitch

It had to happen someday and unfortunately I was way underprepared. As a driver that normally transports business PAX, I was greedy and was looking for a long trip from a popular area DTS (it’s not where you think). I was desperate and took one on Lyft. That ended my night when I could have easily made $50-$100 more for the evening.

All I had to do was keep one or two of those circular barf bags in my car and I was good. Nope....I figured “I got this”. Now, I’m fighting for a full cleaning fee from Lyft. Thankfully, I reached out to a couple of members for advice and I was able to minimize downtime after I got my car cleaned.

Going forward, I will have barf bags and will look for ANY warning signs (passengers walking over to my car barely conscious).

Lepke

It had to happen someday and unfortunately I was way underprepared. As a driver that normally transports business PAX, I was greedy and was looking for a long trip from a popular area DTS (it’s not where you think). I was desperate and took one on Lyft. That ended my night when I could have easily made $50-$100 more for the evening.

All I had to do was keep one or two of those circular barf bags in my car and I was good. Nope....I figured “I got this”. Now, I’m fighting for a full cleaning fee from Lyft. Thankfully, I reached out to a couple of members for advice and I was able to minimize downtime after I got my car cleaned.

Going forward, I will have barf bags and will look for ANY warning signs (passengers walking over to my car barely conscious).
You sent rules in place for yourself in order to minimize these kinds of risks. For me, I don't take anyone who can't walk on their own and I don't pick up from certain night spots. I also quit early and will not pick up anyone after midnight no matter how far from home I happen to be. Every so often I get greedy and break one of these rules that I set for myself and when I do more often than not I pay for it.

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

Lyft will fight you to avoid paying cleaning fees. They will require a receipt from a detail shop. What we found useful is to tell Lyft that you have the passengers home address and name and dashcam and that you fully intend to sue the passenger for damages as well as put the dashcam on social media for other drivers to review. Lyft don't want bad publicity or educated and informed prospective drivers. Give em hell

ToughTommy

I would say to Lyft. I am cleaning it myself as I do t want to breathe in pathogens that will be present. I do not want to wait to clean up because I don’t want to vomit from the smell and if it’s 2AM on Sat night good luck finding a place to do it Sun AM.
I would blast them - oh OK I will drive around in vomit smell to appease Pfft
F them

MoneyMitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here’s another tip: look at their crotch.

I had a guy attempt to ride this weekend who had pissed himself and didn’t realize it.
That thought never crossed my mind. Thanks for the tip. That’s like a silent puke that can happen at any time

Lyft will fight you to avoid paying cleaning fees. They will require a receipt from a detail shop. What we found useful is to tell Lyft that you have the passengers home address and name and dashcam and that you fully intend to sue the passenger for damages as well as put the dashcam on social media for other drivers to review. Lyft don't want bad publicity or educated and informed prospective drivers. Give em hell
Update: I emailed them back with the receipt and I got the full $150. Well, technically $133 since they took the PAXs tip as a deduction. I felt the car wash that I got the cleaning from ripped me off a little bit, but it’s whatever at this point.

And I tell ya...Lyft has given me a lot of Shared pings (GQs and the whole nine yards) as of late. One ping was 23 minutes out yesterday. Drivers, even ants, are definitely getting smarter about accepting pings.

Reactions: njn

MaximusMurkimus

Welcome to the club.

I got my cherry popped around 3700 rides. Guy didn't even give any warning signs. Thankfully $15 of cleaning supplies and it was good as new.

TBNexCHaQ8jrSFTc2JsP

Now you learned the lesson we all had to learn the hard way. From now on I'm sure you'll be very cautious picking up drinks just like the rest of us are.

Uber burn in hell

I think after 5 thousand rides I will definitely be in a mental institution. And will still wake up every day and do Uber rides without ever leaving the place🤣
You are the equivalent of a navy seal my friend! Kudos to you👍

MoneyMitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Deducting tips sounds like fraud. Tips are for fares.

In the past, cleaning fees were considered promotions, taxable income, not anymore since they require receipts.
The more I think about it, that may be considered fraud. I’ll have to look more into that to see what the low down is

Now you learned the lesson we all had to learn the hard way. From now on I'm sure you'll be very cautious picking up drinks just like the rest of us are.
Yup. Couldn’t have said it better

I think after 5 thousand rides I will definitely be in a mental institution. And will still wake up every day and do Uber rides without ever leaving the place🤣
You are the equivalent of a navy seal my friend! Kudos to you👍
Ironically, my precious job almost put me in a mental institution. As crazy as it sounds, Uber/Lyft doesn’t even come close. Thanks for the kudos though.