After 1,000 trips, what REALLY suck about driving.

Just popped my 1,000 trip cherry this week.

1. Uber charges PAX in my town the same per-mile fee as arriving to them as they do dropping them off. Yet despite this, I get paid PEANUTS if I drive 5 miles to get someone and only have to drive them a few blocks. The per mile is 99 cents each way.

I assume this why the pax often tells me they were cancelled on many times? People don't wish to drive that far?

2. The per minute wait is 13 cents a minute, or $7.80 an hour, which is literally 55 cents an hour more that minimum wage. Which isn't really even minimum wage, because while Iowa's MW is $7.25/hr, most retail places start at 10-11 an hour.

3. All of the promotions, quests, etc are for the Quad Cities, Uber has ONLY done promos in my area for EATS, and they suck. It takes an hour and 15 minutes to get to the QC area, so it's not worth going there for promos, not to mention some parts of QC are sketchy as hell.

4. Hardly ANY pax has a 5 star rating. I honestly think there is a driver who one stars everyone. I see a 5 star pax maybe once out of every 20-30 rides.

5. Likewise, I've had 7 one star ratings, wish I guess isn't bad out of 1,000 rides. Hardly any were warranted or came with an explanation.

6. The surge in my town has only exceeded $5 ONCE, and that was NYE. It usually never gets past $4.50, and that is on bar close Fri/Sat night. Despite people complaining it's taken them 30 minutes for a ride, Uber doesn't give you a big surge like they do in lots of towns. I don't live in a small town. The metro area is over 200k people.

7. People say riders leave stuff behind a lot. Oddly, not the case here. I've had ONE wallet left. No phones, no cash, a small baggie of weed, a few hats and scarves, and that's it. Also the person I returned the wallet to didn't even freaking thank me. This was also after spending a week tracking the person down and trying to reach them based off info in the wallet.
Should have just chucked it in the river.

8. I've started being less nice to people. By nice I mean doing crap that I really shouldn't have to do. I no longer take people through drive up food unless they offer to buy me some food too or promise me $10 for my time, as it seems to happen a lot during bar close when there is a surge.

I also don't wait a second past the 5 minute timer unless I got the ping and it was like a few blocks away. I don't take them back home unless they add it as a stop. I don't wait more than a few minutes at a stop. People say crap like "I dunno how to add a stop" or "my phone is at 1%". 99.9% of the time, they are LYING.
I've noticed literally no change to my rating since doing this.

9. I quit driving around waiting for pings. Hell, I will park on the street late at night, which I'm sure scares some people, but the fuel savings is awesome. I will only relocate if I don't get a ping in 10 minutes.

10. Some people REALLY like it if you BS them. Some people only want an agreement to their opinions, not a counter. Hell, they could tell me the earth is flat ,they believe in the flying spaghetti monster and I will agree with them.

Overall, I like my job. Most people are nice, even the drunks. It's not the best pay, but for literally sitting on my ass and driving around, I can't complain.

Comments

• Article Author Article Author
r u sure? Reading your note............um, er, ah.....well....ok!
I worked in retail and a few other jobs about 6 years. I like working for myself. When I worked, people always told me what to do, and it was either do it or get fired.

Working Uber, if someone tells me to do something and I don't want to, I can decline it without much worry.
I also can work when I want to, not get fired if I take time off for being sick, etc.

1. Uber charges PAX in my town the same per-mile fee as arriving to them as they do dropping them off. Yet despite this, I get paid PEANUTS if I drive 5 miles to get someone and only have to drive them a few blocks. The per mile is 99 cents each way.

I assume this why the pax often tells me they were cancelled on many times? People don't wish to drive that far?

2. The per minute wait is 13 cents a minute, or $7.80 an hour, which is literally 55 cents an hour more that minimum wage. Which isn't really even minimum wage, because while Iowa's MW is $7.25/hr, most retail places start at 10-11 an hour.

3. All of the promotions, quests, etc are for the Quad Cities, Uber has ONLY done promos in my area for EATS, and they suck. It takes an hour and 15 minutes to get to the QC area, so it's not worth going there for promos, not to mention some parts of QC are sketchy as hell.

4. Hardly ANY pax has a 5 star rating. I honestly think there is a driver who one stars everyone. I see a 5 star pax maybe once out of every 20-30 rides.

5. Likewise, I've had 7 one star ratings, wish I guess isn't bad out of 1,000 rides. Hardly any were warranted or came with an explanation.

6. The surge in my town has only exceeded $5 ONCE, and that was NYE. It usually never gets past $4.50, and that is on bar close Fri/Sat night. Despite people complaining it's taken them 30 minutes for a ride, Uber doesn't give you a big surge like they do in lots of towns. I don't live in a small town. The metro area is over 200k people.

7. People say riders leave stuff behind a lot. Oddly, not the case here. I've had ONE wallet left. No phones, no cash, a small baggie of weed, a few hats and scarves, and that's it. Also the person I returned the wallet to didn't even freaking thank me. This was also after spending a week tracking the person down and trying to reach them based off info in the wallet.

8. I've started being less nice to people. By nice I mean doing crap that I really shouldn't have to do. I no longer take people through drive up food unless they offer to buy me some food too or promise me $10 for my time, as it seems to happen a lot during bar close when there is a surge.

I also don't wait a second past the 5 minute timer unless I got the ping and it was like a few blocks away. I don't take them back home unless they add it as a stop. I don't wait more than a few minutes at a stop. People say crap like "I dunno how to add a stop" or "my phone is at 1%". 99.9% of the time, they are LYING.

9. I quit driving around waiting for pings. Hell, I will park on the street late at night, which I'm sure scares some people, but the fuel savings is awesome. I will only relocate if I don't get a ping in 10 minutes.

10. Some people REALLY like it if you BS them. Some people only want an agreement to their opinions, not a counter. Hell, they could tell me the earth is flat ,they believe in the flying spaghetti monster and I will agree with them.

Overall, I like my job. Most people are nice, even the drunks. It's not the best pay, but for literally sitting on my ass and driving around, I can't complain.
The only good thing about Iowa is that Walmart pickups are 25 mile rides.

You get 5-stars for smelling like manure in Iowa.

Every cornfield doubles as a Holiday restroom.

Last edited:
I can't remember what they call it, but it is shown on its on separate line in the pay break down.
Are you complaining about this?

Getting paid more than minimum wage to do nothing, literally, nothing and you're complaining?

You can get fired from retail for doing nothing.

Doing nothing is much easier than stocking shelves or running a register.

In theory, your cost of living is significantly less than in a big city. Since you're not in a "big city", there are fewer pax, and fewer rides, and you make less money.

I could make a buttload more money if I moved to SF or NYC, but my cost of living would skyrocket.

Congrats you kinda summed it up.

Bigger metro areas produce more $$$ & more great rides. But as one said, cost of living is high, which .63/mile & .13/minute will keep you in the dog house.

I’ve met great people, but it gets super old after so many rides.

I finally stopped the POOL crap & and I get another PING soon after !!! Just not worth the aggravation of cheap passengers wishing they were in a private ride. Not to mention they are unappreciative Tired of it !!

BEST SAID “Uber is a bridge, not a home”

....thx for the update. Truly is a common experience. Helps if you like people (I do most of the time)... but the best days are when no one is in my car !!! Just love it !!

Passed 1000 rides this year as well. I stopped driving around looking for pings awhile ago. Now I barely leave my house unless there is a surge. You have to eventually get good at knowing where they will be and when.

It's not the best pay, but for literally sitting on my ass and driving around, I can't complain.
Your asinine closing statement shows you shouldn't have bothered writing the "article".

It appears that after writing the piece you shoved a fistfull of Stockholm Syndrome pills in your mouth and washed them down with Uber Kool Aid. That would explain your lame closing statement.

It's bad enough that Uber totally disrespects the work their drivers do, it's even worse when a driver does it.

You claim to have completed 1000 rides, yet your comment shows you don't know what you're talking about.

You are one false compliant away from being deactivated.
This forum is full of deactivation examples.
Let me clarify. Someone tells me to do something that is not WITHIN REASON.
Such as:
1. Trying to fit more pax than seat belts.
2. Trying to get a ride for a baby and no car seat.
3. Asking me to go through the already long line at Taco Bell during peak surge on Sat night.
4. Wanting to smoke cigs or drink beer in my car.
5. Wanting me to drive them back to their house for no tip, cash, etc. Literally for free. If you live a block away, no problem. 2-3 miles?? Hell naw.
6. Wanting me to wait in the parking lot while they spend 30 minutes shopping for groceries, after I already ended the ride.
7. Asking me to "borrow da aux cord" on a .1 mile trip.
8. Asking me to pick their son/daughter up from middle school (should have called CPS on them, who asks a complete stranger to pick their kid up?) or asking me to pickup an minor in general without an adult in the ride.

Last edited:
Where are you from? Dubuque? LaSalle-Peru?

That's a whole lot of sucking there
If you dont like it you should quit !!
Go out with a big bang !!!!!
Really get into it maybe create some kinda spectacle in a public place so
you make sure you get deactivated
Then post a pic on here with some prohibited material in it so you get permanently banned from here too

Let me clarify. Someone tells me to do something that is not WITHIN REASON.
Such as:
1. Trying to fit more pax than seat belts.
2. Trying to get a ride for a baby and no car seat.
3. Asking me to go through the already long line at Taco Bell during peak surge on Sat night.
4. Wanting to smoke cigs or drink beer in my car.
5. Wanting me to drive them back to their house for no tip, cash, etc. Literally for free. If you live a block away, no problem. 2-3 miles?? Hell naw.
6. Wanting me to wait in the parking lot while they spend 30 minutes shopping for groceries, after I already ended the ride.
7. Asking me to "borrow da aux cord" on a .1 mile trip.
8. Asking me to pick their son/daughter up from middle school (should have called CPS on them, who asks a complete stranger to pick their kid up?) or asking me to pickup an minor in general without an adult in the ride.
Let me clarify. Some PAX will wants to ride for free or wouldn't like you told them and complain to Uber that you appear DUI then you're immediately deactivated for a few days when they investigate.

So, in a nutshell, Uber works great. Right? Thought so.
😎