Advocacy meeting notes

Nate R

Well, I haven't seen any new name suggestions lately. I guess we need to setup a poll. I kinda like ULIDA but how to pronounce it? u lee da or u lie da??

Toddal

I'm sorry but we absolutely can not include Lyft in the name of our group. For so, so many reasons. Here's a list.

They might object.
We are not in fact Lyft, we are Uber.
They may cease to exist at some point.
We do not know anything about their grievances and in fact, as has been pointed out on this forum, they do not appear to have many/any.
We have many Uber specific grievances and lumping them in with Lyft would be confusing and counterproductive.
We have specific percentages and rates and metrics that we are using for much of our most powerful Uber arguments and none of them involve Lyft and it would be confusing to do so.
We are not Lyft experts and if we were ever asked about Lyft we probably could not answer with the same authority as we can on Uber which might weaken our image or message.
Lyft clearly operates in a much less callous manner than Uber and quite frankly it would be unfair to lump them in with those Uberholes.
We probably don't want to have to collaborate with a couple Lyft drivers to get our stories straight and include them in a way that is befitting having their name in our Associations title.
About 5 more.

So hopefully we can decide on another name that does not include the word Lyft. I don't even care to have it be an umbrella word like Transportation or TNC or Rideshare but clearly that is the bulk of what the names are so far so whatever. Just please...no Lyft.

Last edited:

Native Austinite

I happen to want to make a difference for people other than myself. So far we've been able to get one article written, working on a second in the statesman and have some people with more social media experience than myself working on some twitter bombs.

If I'm wasting my time, well, it's mine to waste isn't it.
You guys are fukcing great; I currently sit on the "not sure how much longer I want to UBER/ not enough to get active" side of the equation.

However, the work your doing and the momentum you are building is good stuff. ATX 22 knows this is about justice. In America if we want to use our resources to pursue that instead of golfing or whatever other waste of time you enjoy, we @@@@ing will!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of UBER is that good men sit around and do nothing"

ATX 22

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys are fukcing great; I currently sit on the "not sure how much longer I want to UBER/ not enough to get active" side of the equation.

However, the work your doing and the momentum you are building is good stuff. ATX 22 knows this is about justice. In America if we want to use our resources to pursue that instead of golfing or whatever other waste of time you enjoy, we @@@@ing will!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of UBER is that good men sit around and do nothing"
Seeking fair and equitable treatment for the people who are doing the most difficult part of the equation and are compensated the least.

Toddal

I don't think any of us look at this as permanent employment either but we still know unfairness when we see it. Who knows if we can make any kind of a difference but at least we can say we tried!

Stratos

Great that you are trying to get some thing started with the rideshare community....But in my opinion your just wasting alot of time and effort that you could be used to find a more lucrative career...The fact is there is no money being a driver for rideshare.....And with the internet and how they hire new drivers you will never be a force to be reckon with....Just the cold hard truth....Take it from a person who is retired and drives just to same off a bar stool during the day.
And of course your constant just quit Uber mantra is not self serving. The less drivers out there the more rides for you mindset comes across very clear.

Nate R

Toddal, I think you have a valid point there about Lyft, even though I am a Lyft driver too. I beleive the name needs to be as service neutral as we can make it to encompass any service who wants to participate.

I do like these too:

AID - Austin Independent Drivers (or add Area for AAID)
TNDA-Transportation Network Driver's Association

BramasoleATX

Here is a cheap guerrilla marketing for you. Start requesting rides everywhere you go, text them a message to join this forum to organize, then cancel the trip. If you have a thread specifically for them to look at when they get here, even better.
That's gold right there son.

6 Speed

Names, we need names for the group.... I still like the service neutral option. How about one of these?

ARDA (Austin Rideshare Drivers Association)
AARD (Association of Austin Rideshare Drivers)
AMRD (Austin Metro Rideshare Drivers)
AARD (Austin Area Rideshare Drivers)
RDA (Rideshare Drivers of Austin)
IRDA (Independent Rideshare Drivers Association/of Austin)
AAIRDA (Austin Area Independent Rideshare Driver Association)
How about GARD "Group of Austin Rideshare Drivers" ?

6 Speed

You offered your unsolicited opinion of something I have chosen to do. Take my response and do with it whatever you wish. I'm not ignorant, nor am I stupid. I typically work hard to be sure I don't frame differences of opinion in an inflammatory manner. In your case, on your comment, I chose to make an exception.
Forums ALWAYS seem to get nasty - but most have a way to ignore certain members. I haven't found an "Ignore button" here. Am I missing something?

ATX 22

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forums ALWAYS seem to get nasty - but most have a way to ignore certain members. I haven't found an "Ignore button" here. Am I missing something?
There is one. It's attached to the person's profile. This is many months old thread. Incidentally, I did stop wasting my time after it became clear that most drivers don't have any interest in actually improving anything.

6 Speed

There is one. It's attached to the person's profile. This is many months old thread. Incidentally, I did stop wasting my time after it became clear that most drivers don't have any interest in actually improving anything.
Thanks

F-uber

Sad, but unfortunately true. Same with cabbies. Hell, even fast food employees have mounted some strikes.