Advice: would you recommend driving for uber/lyft?

Would you recommend?

• Total voters

M.209

Hi to all experienced drivers who drive for uber/lyft.

Would you recommend to newbies, like this one https://goo.gl/vxFJzP, driving for uber/lyft?

Note to new drivers: when you sign up, all drivers have the privilege to become a free driving advertisement. Isn't cool?
And so much more:

- Being brainwashed that you have to do and must, whereas you are not.
- Being treated as an employee, but in reality your are an independent contractor with no benefits
- You will be stuck in traffic and get paid pennies. Because payment logic is $uck$
- You will be frustrated by support team that replies with generic answers
- The value of your car will go down and you will end up fixing it.
- Most of passengers(pax) , especially Uber's, treat drivers as a doorman, concierge. And in the end of the trip a nice door slam

And so much more :eek:

Last edited:

SEAL Team 5

Not only do I recommend driving for Uber/Lyft, but I will help you cut through the red tape so you can be on your way to GET YOUR SIDE HUSTLE ON by BEING YOUR OWN BOSS. I will show you how to WORK WHEN YOU WANT TO.

Just send your non refundable payment of $29.95 with a self addressed stamped envelope to;

SEAL Team V
c/o UP.net Forum

Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

wst1459

Im a grad student with no funding and had to take out loans. Im hearing what you all are saying but Uber saved my ass for now. I understand about the car depreciation and everything - Im not planning on doing this for more than a year or so. Im working 3 days a week (Th-Sat mostly nights) and making 200-400 a day. This last week I made 1200. Im in upstate New York in a college town that has high demand and not enough drivers for the busy times. I would recommend it with a caveat: BEWARE OF ENTITLED, RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS DRUNK FRAT BOYS AND SORORITY GIRLS.

M.209

Im a grad student with no funding and had to take out loans. Im hearing what you all are saying but Uber saved my ass for now. I understand about the car depreciation and everything - Im not planning on doing this for more than a year or so. Im working 3 days a week (Th-Sat mostly nights) and making 200-400 a day. This last week I made 1200. Im in upstate New York in a college town that has high demand and not enough drivers for the busy times. I would recommend it with a caveat: BEWARE OF ENTITLED, RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS DRUNK FRAT BOYS AND SORORITY GIRLS.

May I see a screenshot from your phone that shows such income?

By the by, do you drive Lux or Black?

Not only do I recommend driving for Uber/Lyft, but I will help you cut through the red tape so you can be on your way to GET YOUR SIDE HUSTLE ON by BEING YOUR OWN BOSS. I will show you how to WORK WHEN YOU WANT TO.

Just send your non refundable payment of $29.95 with a self addressed stamped envelope to;

SEAL Team V
c/o UP.net Forum

Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Cool, you know how to make bold letters from uber ads.

Beign your own boss of what kind of business? To be the boss of a not-so-profitable business? On that, I would agree.

Better check this link https://www.roberthalf.com/blog/job-market/10-best-job-search-websites

Or

https://makeawebsitehub.com/online-business-ideas/

Today your drive for pennies, tomorrow you get deactivated for any reason. Now what?

AvengingxxAngel

Would you recommend to newbies, like this one https://goo.gl/vxFJzP, driving for uber/lyft?

Note to new drivers: when you sign up, all drivers have the privilege to become a free driving advertisement. Isn't cool?
And so much more:

- Being treated as an employee, but in reality your are an independent contractor with no benefits
- You will be stuck in traffic and get paid pennies. Because payment logic is $uck$
- Most of passengers(pax) , especially Uber's, treat drivers as a doorman, concierge. And in the end of the trip a nice door slam

If someone can't get a job for whatever reason, then yes. Otherwise no.

SEAL Team 5

Beign your own boss of what kind of business? To be the boss of a not-so-profitable business? On that, I would agree.
It worked great for Uber. Their little internet ad of "Make great money...Be your own boss...Work when you want to" helped them onboard 700,000 drivers to drive their own vehicles for pennies a mile in the U.S. alone.

I've always loved the quote "Uber has a fleet of over 400,000 vehicles without owning a single one."

Uber Crack

Author
I can't vote because my option isn't there. I'd ask them why they're considering it. I think for some people it's a decent fit to make some side money.
Basically don't drive if you're a hot female under 30. Only drive if you've had direct experience with the mentally challenged and know how to handle weirdos. And above all don't drive if it's your only source of income. :smiles:

Spotscat

I think of driving for Uber and Lyft the same way I think of the exotic dancers at the local strip club - it's not for everyone, and it isn't something I would want my kids to do. But, I'm glad there are people that do it.

Tr4vis Ka1anick

And so much more:

There are all negative responses on your poll.

What if someone says sumptin' like:
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, but only if the person/pax express interest
  3. Yes, but I will be honest about the multiple challenges with Uber (maybe sugarcoat it just a smidge).
  4. Yes, I actively give out my promotion code for referral bonuses and / or $20.00 off first ride.

Uberdriver2710

UberBastid

Lost a good friend that way.
Had a GF, kinda cute, but REAL high maintenance, and a real biotch. Not worth it. Dumped her and a friend asked if it'd be ok if he picked up on her. I said, "Sure. No problem."
Six months later he was like, "Why didn't you warn me? WTF? Friends like you, who needs enemies.''

I tell people to use Uber, not let Uber use you. If you have a goal, like "I wanna take a nice vacation and I need an extra $5k in three months", or "I wanna get some dental work done, and need a few bucks extra so I don't need to borrow it". When you reach that goal, then stop.

M.209

There are all negative responses on your poll.

What if someone says sumptin' like:
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, but only if the person/pax express interest
  3. Yes, but I will be honest about the multiple challenges with Uber (maybe sugarcoat it just a smidge).
  4. Yes, I actively give out my promotion code for referral bonuses and / or $20.00 off first ride.
Not all. The last one is not negative at all...

Create your own poll. Promote uber/lyft. Problem solved)

I would suggest you just read all the threads on here and make your own decision. Personally I think Uber/Lyft is great,,,, but only when I need a ride :smiles:
Agree. Very good for riders. Very cheap. (Line/Pool, X, ..)

Singing in the Rain

Simply put, there is no money to be made here. By the time you calc in ALL your expenses, you'll make between $7 and $9 per hour, and then you'll pay taxes on that as you wear out your car prematurely. You may as well work a fast food job. Now, to be fair, if you're OK being a chump, then Uber/Lyft is a wonderful way to make you feel like you're earning money, when all you're doing is cashing out your car's equity far sooner than you otherwise would have.

Let me know if I can explain anything else to you. I'm glad you asked about this. Too few people only figure out the racket only after they've been in it for a while. I was one of the lucky ones who had it figured out within a week.

Ciao!

Last edited:

Yes - if you have a car that qualifies above X, and work occasionally driving peak times and cherry picking surges and events.

Singing in the Rain

Yes - if you have a car that qualifies above X, and work occasionally driving peak times and cherry picking surges and events.
That's an excellent point. There's no real money to be made here. Unless you know how to cherry-pick and game the system, you will likely make no money at all. You have to game in order to profit. It's sad that that's where this has gone, but it's true.

Dchap08

If you aren't making money driving for uber/lyft, it's your own fault unless you live in a bad area.

I have personally cleared $1000 a week since I've started except 1 week where I didn't drive for 4 days due to surgery. I still made $700 that week working the weekend.

If you are that easily duped in to doing exactly what they want you to do, then you're an idiot.

We are independent contractors... Where was the confusion?

Because you drive in traffic, doesn't mean the smart people do. You've beaten this topic to death. Be smart when you drive man.

Agree with you on this one. They farm out customer service just like 90% of every company in the United States. It's a business decision and they can't afford to pay CS reps in the United States. It's frustrating, but if you know what you are doing, you can get a real person to answer you. "escalate this to a supervisor please" works every time.

What did you think was going to happen when you drove your car for an income? It would increase in value?

Stop driving in those areas. 9 out of 10 pax I encounter are pleasant and respectful. If they aren't, they receive a 1 star and I'll never have to see them again. I consistently get bad pax in certain cities. I no longer drive there. Problem solved. The rare times I do drive in bad neighborhoods, I still get good pax 90% of the time.

Could it possibly be that the problem is not on the passengers end? Hmm... Me thinks so considering the rest of your posts, general negative attitude and your attitude toward uber, lyft and passengers.

Take a look in the mirror. That might be the problem.

M.209

Another happy hippie here...Ok.

Appreciate your extensive analysis and monitoring of my profile. Yet, I do not appreciate you calling my posts negative. The reasons is that they are not negative, but realistic and sometime positive.

Now let me reply to most of your statements ( without going too deep):

If you aren't making money driving for uber/lyft, it's your own fault unless you live in a bad area.

I leave it ok area. Not my fault, because I can not make Uber/Lyft pay me and other drivers fairly. So far I observed only a decline in income.

I have personally cleared $1000 a week since I've started except 1 week where I didn't drive for 4 days due to surgery. I still made $700 that week working the weekend.

Oh really? Is that true? Did you sleep or drove 24 hours straight? Need I see your recent screenshot from the phone showing those numbers. Otherwise, I made $10K yesterday with uber X last weekend :smiles:
Actually, maybe it is possible if you drive uber black or lux.
For sure you can not make that much from lyft or from uber pool/X

If you are that easily duped in to doing exactly what they want you to do, then you're an idiot.

Newbies are doing it, unfortunately. Saw it personally and then asked them why they open doors for people, who can do it without drivers help( not disabled or old).

Because you drive in traffic, doesn't mean the smart people do. You've beaten this topic to death. Be smart when you drive man.

And Im not done beating it. Because it is not solved yet.

Take a look in the mirror. That might be the problem.
Checked the mirror. It is clean, it is all good with it)

The problem is with ride share companies, who want drivers to work for pennies. When started, it was much better. Now it is much less, isn't it?