Advice please

Hskrgrlusa

My car smells from a pax spilling beer in the back seat. He told me when i dropped him off he spilled his drink, said sorry snd gave me a dollar. ( no, i didnt know they had beer).

I thought ut wasnt bad as i couldnt smell it UNTIL i stopped at the gas station. My car reeks and i checked the back seat and its SOAKED!

I cant take passangers until its dry, but first i have to clean it. My seats are black so how do i prove the mess to uber?

VegasR

Well, it's probably too late now. But maybe applying a paper towel or napkin to the seat and taking a picture of the wet napkin either being pulled up from or resting on the mess.

KenLV

My car smells from a pax spilling beer in the back seat. He told me when i dropped him off he spilled his drink, said sorry snd gave me a dollar. ( no, i didnt know they had beer).

I thought ut wasnt bad as i couldnt smell it UNTIL i stopped at the gas station. My car reeks and i checked the back seat and its SOAKED!

I cant take passangers until its dry, but first i have to clean it. My seats are black so how do i prove the mess to uber?

Sadly, like when someone throws up, you're in bad shape until you can adequately clean your car.

I like VegasR's suggestion. I hope you took photos and sent in a request for cleaning fee - be as descriptive as possible and explain exactly how bad the smell is. THAT is what you're big concern is going to be moving forward.

You won't get compensated for your time, but at least you can get a cleaning fee out of it. If the fee they give doesn't cover your cost of cleaning, you can submit receipts, sometimes they'll modify but mostly they won't. Your best bet, if they give too low a fee, is to IMMEDIATELY write back stating that it won't be sufficient. I don't know where they think we can get our seats professionally cleaned for $20 or $40.

If you have a dash cam, put it in night mode and see if the stain shows clearer (I have no idea if this will work, I'm just spit-balling here, but the high contrast might show). Couldn't hurt.

Freebyrdie

The thing about a liquid that stinks is it gets down under the surface in to the padding. Whatever you use to eliminate the smell needs to be able to reach it thoroughly. Personally I would go buy a quart of that pet odor neutralizer and saturate the area of the spill with it. Be sure you get the enzyme based product. Natures miracle is one brand that comes to mind. It works because the enzymes actually consume the odor causing proteins and organics. It's designed for pet waste but I've used it with success on other things. Good luck!

Last edited:

Luckycabby

The thing about a liquid that stinks is it gets down under the surface in to the padding. Whatever you use to eliminate the smell needs to be able to reach it thoroughly. Personally I would go buy a quart of that pet odor neutralizer and saturate the area of the spill with it. Be sure you get the enzyme based product. Natures miracle is one brand that comes to mind. It works because the enzymes actually consume the odor causing proteins and organics. It's designed for pet waste but I've used it with success on other things. Good luck!
100% agree but I take it a bit further. I have a large syringe that can get into the cushion. The neutralizer will take out the smell you can get it at a auto detail store or
McFadden-Dale Industrial Hardware  

Website
Directions
4.4Address: 5580 S Decatur Blvd #114, Las Vegas, NV 89118
Hours:
Open today · Phone: (702) 251-8059

Spider-Man

Reapply some water to the outline where the beer was spilled. ( your not cheating the pax , your just recreating the mess he already caused you so you have proof again ) take those pictures now and get your cleaning fee. And tell uber what it was as graphically as you can the spilled alcohol. Hopefully you'll get 50$ fee .

R

RidingInLostWages

fwck the mods here

Last edited by a moderator:

Hskrgrlusa

Thanks everyone!
Car is clean and so far, no smelly beer!

Waiting to see if uber will charge the customer a cleaning fee. I did the best I could with pics of of the area.

I would think Uber would believe me, been driving a bit over a year and this is my first claim but integrity to uber is a foreign language.

KenLV

(this is why I just drive by anyone holding an open container - cancel no charge)

No charge? Screw that. I've invested time/money getting there. Let them know the law and their options.

I pulled up to a house last weekend for a pool ride (doing my quest) and he has a full clear plastic keg party cup of beer. I tell him sorry, but you can't bring it and why.
He mumbles something.
I say "Sorry, it's the law."
"F*** it, I'll just cancel the ride."
"OK." And I wait until he cancels - YES I want my cancel fee, I'm out 10 minutes of round trip plus gas.
I drive away. I'm not even out of his development...bing...pool, I accept. It's the same guy (no name on app anymore and map never updates in time, just says 3 minutes away). Maybe he changed his mind? Maybe he chugged the beer? Who knows. Make a U-turn... Bing-Bong "Rider cancelled, you'll receive a cancel fee".
U-turn again and keep driving. Bam, another pool,...same guy.
This happens TWO MORE TIMES. After the first one, I didn't even bother pulling a U-turn. Just pulled over and waited 15 seconds for him to cancel.

Fool tries to save a few bucks by taking pool and ends up paying $12 in cancel fees. Genius.

Flip side:
Picked up a couple this weekend from out of town - staying up in + family quarters at Nellis. He comes out with a beer bottle. I explain what's what and he asks if I can wait "while [he] finishes it quickly". It's half empty, so sure, no problem. Chugs it. (Probably wouldn't let someone chug and get in at the END of a night, but the beginning? Sure.)
They get in. Nice folks. Nice chat. Totally understand the rules. $5 tip on a 10 minute ride. No mess. No muss. No fuss.

This second scenario happens EVERY weekend, usually more than once.
That putz it the first I've had cancel b/c I wouldn't let him break the law in my car.

Last edited:

beezlewaxin

Glad you got your car cleaned up.. I had a pax accidentally break a bottle of red wine and it gushed all over my back black leather seats and car smelled like wine of course.

It helps to know that the bottom bench of the back seats in most cars is designed to be easily removed without requiring any tools or skills to do so. They just pop up and unhook in a couple of places and then after removed it makes cleanup about 100 times easier..

SGT-E

After each ride ..i just make it a habbit to check backseats with lights on. If they look drunk...no open bottles period.

I have a small wet-dry vacuum at the house, you can pic them up pretty cheap nowadays. That with foamy engine degreaser then hot soapy water rinse will deep clean your floor carpet really well. Then hit with your favorite febreeze will do wonders keeping your vehicle smelling fresh and clean.

A few passes with the vacuum and it dries really fast to.

KenLV

I can either drive away (cancel-no charge) or stop and ask that he not bring the alcohol into the car. If I do the latter there is a very real risk I'll get downrated because the passenger is obviously an a-hole for trying to bring the beer into the vehicle in the first place. It's not worth 3.75 for me to get downrated and it doesn't happen very often.

LostWages, you might want to rethink this...

Literally just that one guy in my OP examples was an "a-hole" and cancelled - out of 1700 rides, of which dozens have tried to drink in my car. Most every other person I've explained the law to simply (and understandably) didn't know. Since they can drink on the streets here, they believe "I can drink anywhere...so I must be able to drink in a car.".

They really aren't being a-holes. They believe the "anything goes" Vegas hype. So it's not a "very real risk" of a down rate.

It's not worth 3.75 for me to get downrated and it doesn't happen very often.

Here's where you're really hurting yourself financially: you're math is wrong. It's not a loss of the $3.75 cancel fee, it's the loss of a FARE. Every. Single. Time.

If I drove on by, as you suggest, I'd have lost DOZENS of good rides and tips. (See my "flip side" example in my OP which was a $10.50 fare/$5 tip ride). On just these two rides, if I'd done as you suggest, I'd have lost just over $25 PLUS about 30 minutes of round trip travel time to get to the pickups.

Ouch.

As far as my rating goes...

Even a 1 star down-rate will only reduce my rating by .008 stars. And then, only if they actually take the ride. That guy didn't, so he doesn't even get to rate me.

But let's say every person I make leave their booze gets pissed at me for the law AND 1 stars me...it would take 12+ rides for me to lose ONE TENTH of a star. Let's also say they were ALL minimum fare rides AND non-tippers. That means I would EARN at least $47 for that one tenth of one star loss.

4.8 instead of a 4.9 for ~50 bucks? I'm good with that. :smiles:

Seriously, you're leaving money on the table.

R

RidingInLostWages

fwck the mods here

Last edited by a moderator: