• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Advice on Getting Over Near Attack

RideshareColi

Hello All,

Just had worst ride ever. Won't go into Dicken's novel about it but had close call with physical attack by four drunk college kids.

Any positive words of advice to shake these @@@@@@@@ off would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

RideShareColi

Last edited:

Alfred j

Hello All,

Just had worst ride ever. Won't go into Dicken's novel about it but had close call with physical attack by four drunk college kids.

Any positive words of advice to shake these @@@@@@@@ off would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

RideShareColi
go get a shot and be glad you didn't get your ass whipped

kc ub'ing!

Sorry that happened to you. Drunk college punks are the worst! 10 feet tall and bullet proof with no sense. Good thing is they're easy to avoid. Especially now that summers here. Stay away from campus at night and bar close weds-sat.

I've done 6000 rides and I've only had 2 incidents with the snots. So I'd say odds are in your favor, it won't happen again. Stay strong. You got this!

Trafficat

NV is a shall-issue state for CCW permits. Uber doesn't allow guns but they don't have to know about it unless you use it, in which case losing Uber is the least of your worries.

I'd also seek specific training on self-defense in a car. The confines of a car require a bit more thought.

Saltyoldman

I’m sorry that happened to you. I stopped driving those turds awhile ago. You can avoid them easily like kc does. Traffic cat is correct also. My priority would be to stop vehicle and have something to grab on your way out of vehicle to defend yourself. You have way better odds of defending yourself not being in the vehicle. Good pre ride screening will also help. Rating, location, wait time. College kids are easy ‘shuffle’ victims. By the time they actually come out of bars, dorms, and apts. and realize you aren’t there- your gone! Good luck

JoshInReno

1100 rides in, and I had my first real problem this last weekend.

Ping to Silver Legacy. While on Sierra I phone pax to find out where they are located. I was hung up on mid-sentence. Knowing this ride isn't going to go well (after being hung up on), I park on 5th (I think it was) and decide to wait him out and get my cancel. @@@@@@@@ get cancelled - but not for free. I still had to drive over here. He is somewhere in a 50 story building that takes up a whole city block. Probably won't find me before the clock runs out.

I was wrong. He finds the car within seconds and flings the door up demanding my name. I tell him "that's not how this works. You tell me yours." Upon confirming his identity he tells the other 4 passengers to hop in the back. That's a problem as I drive X and I let them know I cannot legally transport them all.

In this moment, things went from uncomfortable to 5 adults screaming at me inside the car. Not college brats - adults. Easily 50 - 60 years old and belligerently drunk. 3 men, 2 women. I tell them this ride is not happening and they need to get out. The screaming intensifies as the back seat empties out and the door is slammed harder than I thought was possible. I really thought the glass was going to break. The ringleader exits the passenger seat threatening to drag me out of the car and beat my ass. He closes the door and I lock it. He fails to open the locked door so he punches the window. This is when options start going through your mind. Let me lay out the landscape:

A cab has pulled in front of me and I am unable to drive away. The angry group is now on the passenger side on the curb with one of them now behind the car. So (in this moment) I am blocked in. My thoughts: if I get out of this car I am going to end up in handcuffs, likely lose my CCW and will be deactivated. I'm a 200lb guy in my 30's and am not going to back down if I need to defend myself. However, there are 3 of them and I don't like those odds. I also know if I exit the car the law is no longer on my side. There is OC spray in the driver door and a lethal option is holstered on my strong side. If this guys breaks the window I'm going to assume he's coming in and he's going to be shot.

In the 3 seconds that his unfolds in, the cab in front of me pulls away and I do the same -leaving this group behind. I report the threat of violence to Uber and move on with my life. I feel for whoever got stuck with them.

Most of the potential issues we can encounter are bullies who are not use to being stood up to. I can guarantee you the ringleader in my story has a history of intimidating drivers into breaking the law for him. He found out in .5 seconds that I wasn't going to be one of them and blew up. Stand up to these @@@@@@@@ and most of the time they will back down. Keep control of the situation and your personal safety come first. Cancel the ride, tell them to get the f*ck out and wreck the car with them in it if that becomes necessary.

(My lessons learned from this: keep the doors locked. I usually do, but I need to be 100% about it. Also, I am starting to think about shopping for a crossdraw holster that is concealable.)

Last edited:

Saltyoldman

1100 rides in, and I had my first real problem this last weekend.

Ping to Silver Legacy. While on Sierra I phone pax to find out where they are located. I was hung up on mid-sentence. Knowing this ride isn't going to go well (after being hung up on), I park on 5th (I think it was) and decide to wait him out and get my cancel. @@@@@@@@ get cancelled - but not for free. I still had to drive over here. He is somewhere in a 50 story building that takes up a whole city block. Probably won't find me before the clock runs out.

I was wrong. He finds the car within seconds and flings the door up demanding my name. I tell him "that's not how this works. You tell me yours." Upon confirming his identity he tells the other 4 passengers to hop in the back. That's a problem as I drive X and I let them know I cannot legally transport them all.

In this moment, things went from uncomfortable to 5 adults screaming at me inside the car. Not college brats - adults. Easily 50 - 60 years old and belligerently drunk. 3 men, 2 women. I tell them this ride is not happening and they need to get out. The screaming intensifies as the back seat empties out and the door is slammed harder than I thought was possible. I really thought the glass was going to break. The ringleader exits the passenger seat threatening to drag me out of the car and beat my ass. He closes the door and I lock it. He fails to open the locked door so he punches the window. This is when options start going through your mind. Let me lay out the landscape:

A cab has pulled in front of me and I am unable to drive away. The angry group is now on the passenger side on the curb with one of them now behind the car. So (in this moment) I am blocked in. My thoughts: if I get out of this car I am going to end up in handcuffs, likely lose my CCW and will be deactivated. I'm a 200lb guy in my 30's and am not going to back down if I need to defend myself. However, there are 3 of them and I don't like those odds. I also know if I exit the car the law is no longer on my side. There is OC spray in the driver door and a lethal option is holstered on my strong side. If this guys breaks the window I'm going to assume he's coming in and he's going to be shot.

In the 3 seconds that his unfolds in, the cab in front of me pulls away and I do the same -leaving this group behind. I report the threat of violence to Uber and move on with my life. I feel for whoever got stuck with them.

Most of the potential issues we can encounter are bullies who are not use to being stood up to. I can guarantee you the ringleader in my story has a history of intimidating drivers into breaking the law for him. He found out in .5 seconds that I wasn't going to be one of them and blew up. Stand up to these @@@@@@@@ and most of the time they will back down. Keep control of the situation and your personal safety come first. Cancel the ride, tell them to get the f*ck out and wreck the car with them in it if that becomes necessary.

(My lessons learned from this: keep the doors locked. I usually do, but I need to be 100% about it. Also, I am starting to think about shopping for a crossdraw holster that is concealable.)
I bought this dock system from alien gear holsters, mount it next to your right leg under your dash. Have your done light turned off and they will never see it.