Advice needed on passanger pick-up

Tda85

Hello,

I dropped somebody off who lives next door and they asked if they could book me for uber on the way back. They also want me to take them to and from work every day and that's $70 each way for me.

Im fairly new so what I've learnt is:
- If you're standing next to the passanger, you won't get the trip cos you need to be 100m+ away

- From reading forums, I understand the trips go to people not based on driver distance, but based on driver earnings. Even if I'm two minutes away, the trip will go to someone who may be 6 mins away because they've had lss earnings than me

Their insurance company is paying for it so they won't give me cash and will only book through app.

Any advice for me on how to arrange this? Am I best off sitting 150m away and hoping for the best? Or does that not make a difference and it goes purely based on who has less earnings than me, in which case, I can start at 7am when she goes to work so it doesn't go to someone else with "less earnings".

Sleepo

Hello,

I dropped somebody off who lives next door and they asked if they could book me for uber on the way back. They also want me to take them to and from work every day and that's $70 each way for me.

Im fairly new so what I've learnt is:
- If you're standing next to the passanger, you won't get the trip cos you need to be 100m+ away

- From reading forums, I understand the trips go to people not based on driver distance, but based on driver earnings. Even if I'm two minutes away, the trip will go to someone who may be 6 mins away because they've had lss earnings than me

Their insurance company is paying for it so they won't give me cash and will only book through app.

Any advice for me on how to arrange this? Am I best off sitting 150m away and hoping for the best? Or does that not make a difference and it goes purely based on who has less earnings than me, in which case, I can start at 7am when she goes to work so it doesn't go to someone else with "less earnings".
Sometimes it will work if you are beside the person, but generally I have found 5 to 10 metres work

Tda85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys.

Actually great tip with the destination filter.

Does this work better at pairing us up in uber's algorithm, or is it just to make sure I don't get other trips?

Bostic

This issue would be easily fixed if FUber allowed a rider to create a list of preferred drivers.
That way if a preferred driver was withing a 10 min pickup zone they could be matched with that driver.
Then both the Rider and the Driver are happy.

BUT at the moment, I have 5 customers who request me to drive them through SMS the previous day or day's in advance.
I arrive at the pickup point, they get in the car and then book me with the ride share app they use (Ola, Bolt, Go Crutch or FUber).
So far with FUber I have only had 1 job where FUber sent the request to another X+ car that was 15 minutes away. She booked me on the second attempt.
My customers are OK with cancelling and re-booking to get me if they don't on the first attempt as they want the bigger X+,XL/Select style car (2015 BMW X5).

Dhaw

Why not ask if they can pay cash, give them 10% discount maybe
erm...OP sed Their insurance company is paying for it so they won't give me cash and will only book through app.
Post automatically merged:

Hello,

Why you tda? Is she sweet on you? If you dont mind tying yourself to her departure time it's a good kick start to the day

Bostic

Why not ask if they can pay cash, give them 10% discount maybe
Besides the rider having to use the app because he is not paying, unless you have your own insurance and accreditation as a ride share provider you would loose your house when you get into an accident and a rider is hurt and sues your a.r.s.e.

Tda85

Legends!

Was about 150m at parking spot, with destination filter set, instantly got the ping for "Long trip 35min+"

Thabks for the feedback all.

And I think I'm pretty likable, why wouldn't she be sweet on me? :wink: Actually she was being nice as she lives down the road for me. She also works in a place which is next to an office space I'm often in for 2-3 hours so it's literally like a hand in glove situation.

Tda85

Besides the rider having to use the app because he is not paying, unless you have your own insurance and accreditation as a ride share provider you would loose your house when you get into an accident and a rider is hurt and sues your a.r.s.e.
Thabks mate, yep too true. I couldn't do it as you mentioned anyway, but this woman has had two accidents and the last thing I need is to risk something that could put the entire weight of two insurance companies on my shoulders. No thanks!

Kyanar

BUT at the moment, I have 5 customers who request me to drive them through SMS the previous day or day's in advance.
I arrive at the pickup point, they get in the car and then book me with the ride share app they use (Ola, Bolt, Go Crutch or FUber).
That's actually technically illegal in NSW.The Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Regulation 2017, section 84(b) makes clear that it's not lawful for a hire vehicle (like an Uber) to carry out a booking where the booking is made after the vehicle is stopped at the pickup point. More than $3000 maximum fine. You legally must park somewhere else and then come to the pax when the booking is made. It does not specify how far away you must be at the time of the booking though.

While we're reading around that section though - section 85 allows you, the driver, to direct a passenger to leave or not enter your vehicle simply because they're carrying something annoying (section 85(1)(c))

JCS26

erm...OP sed Their insurance company is paying for it so they won't give me cash and will only book through app

Yah I really know iI was just testing you guys if you read OP’s statements :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You guys passed :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:

Yawnie

if ur in a residential suburb the chances of another uber being closer is slim, at best you may have to cancel once or twice

DA08

This issue would be easily fixed if FUber allowed a rider to create a list of preferred drivers.
That way if a preferred driver was withing a 10 min pickup zone they could be matched with that driver.

So far with FUber I have only had 1 job where FUber sent the request to another X+ car that was 15 minutes away. She booked me on the second attempt.
My customers are OK with cancelling and re-booking to get me if they don't on the first attempt as they want the bigger X+,XL/Select style car (2015 BMW X5).
U use bmw x5 for uber? Your crazy...

WestSydGuy

Thabks mate, yep too true. I couldn't do it as you mentioned anyway, but this woman has had two accidents and the last thing I need is to risk something that could put the entire weight of two insurance companies on my shoulders. No thanks!
Personal injury in NSW is covered by CTP insurance, which all vehicles should have, Uber/Ola/etc does not add anything on top of that, unless you count hush money as insurance :confusion:

Well done on finding an ongoing customer. Be aware that the al-gore-rythm may start to not match you after 4/5 trips, as FUber don't like relationships blossoming. If you can use another app, it might help with that. SD will put you higher in the al-gore-rythm, good tip @micarn

If the PAX can pay on a card, look into square app. Maybe register yourself as a booking provider, or find a mate who is one, they can charge a small booking fee, and let you use their system, certainly lower fees than FUber, but matching the rider price.
Post automatically merged:

Which platform are you driving on, X only?

BuckleUp

Preferred driver is not going to happen.
98% of drivers will get no work.
It will go to the "other" 2%.
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Never going to happen in PC Oz.

Avenig

Not sure about now but I had it work where the passenger is in the car and I get them to have the rider app do a pick location 10-30metres away from the car.

[email protected]

U use bmw x5 for uber? Your crazy...
And he thinks that the passengers are doing him a favour LOL
Meanwhile the passengers are paying uber rates (even if its x+ select or XL) to be driven around in a luxury car.

Should turn up in a Camry one day and see if they still want to book for next time