• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Advice For New Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayn10

This has to be the most hilarious post I have ever read. Wow. Keep it going! There are so many people so far off the beaten path that it kills me. Good stuff

MaximusMurkimus

I think the "text authorization from account holder" is a bit excessive. Waiting there for an awkward confirmation is time consuming and often unnecessary. In 900 Uber rides I never had an unauthorized one that costed me.

I simply ask if the person who I'm picking up knows who called the ride, WITHOUT saying the name first. So if they say something like "Uber for Bob?" and the name to pick up is Bob, I'm sure Bob probably called it for them.

MoneyUber4

I think the "text authorization from account holder" is a bit excessive. Waiting there for an awkward confirmation is time consuming and often unnecessary. In 900 Uber rides I never had an unauthorized one that costed me.

I simply ask if the person who I'm picking up knows who called the ride, WITHOUT saying the name first. So if they say something like "Uber for Bob?" and the name to pick up is Bob, I'm sure Bob probably called it for them.
I think that would depend in what area you would picked up. But in my case I had several, including one risky pick up where I found 2 guys at 4:30 AM, the youngest one jump in my car and mentioned my name.
To make it really short, the guy was not the account holder (unknown person) at night going to an unknown address. I did stop after 1.5 block and asked the pax to show me his phone. He said, that is my uncle's account he has the phone. I call and text him, the guy cancel the ride.
I reported to Uber and Uber refused to pay me for the pick up as customer claimed I picked up the wrong person.
What about if this guy was going to rob me later on, how do we know who he was?
I always kept a handwritten log with customer's info, time and address, that was the only way Uber paid me.
Electronic logs are easy to delete by Uber.
Since that day, I was asking customers to give me more info. so I can verify that I had the right person.

Quatro40

I just had one last Saturday, woke up on Sunday to -3.96, wrote to Uber and even though I told them the pax gave me the correct name they woudn't put the money back so now I ask for the text authorization on every ride that is not the account holder. I don't mind waiting the extra 2 minutes but it guarantees that I will get paid for the trip. This is happening with younger riders. I also ask to see their Uber app if don't see the phone on them.

Attachments

Last edited:

IceMan3930

Thanks for this post!

I just signed up and am currently waiting to be cleared so I can start driving. I appreciate the info that you listed.

I'm weary about doing this, but I really need to make some extra money since my full-time job just isn't cutting it with all the bills.

I think my main question to everyone would be if everyone in this forum actually changed their insurance when they started driving uber...or is it just recommended?

Also, if there is any advice not listed here, everyone please feel free to message me or reply here and help me become a good uber driver!

Caspita

Thanks for this post!

I just signed up and am currently waiting to be cleared so I can start driving. I appreciate the info that you listed.

I'm weary about doing this, but I really need to make some extra money since my full-time job just isn't cutting it with all the bills.

I think my main question to everyone would be if everyone in this forum actually changed their insurance when they started driving uber...or is it just recommended?

Also, if there is any advice not listed here, everyone please feel free to message me or reply here and help me become a good uber driver!
To the insurance question I think it is HIGHLY recomended. Many here just go with regular personal insurance hopping nothing happens ... Including me .. Until this week at least hehe. Best way is to get the additional ride sharing for peace of mind. You don't want to find out the hard way that you are not covered or your insurance company finding out somehow and dropping you without warning. I got a quote from Farmers yesterday and my additional for ride sharing is about $300 per 6 months period only. So I'm meeting the agent today to go over the details and close the deal. At least that one less thing to worry about.

SibeRescueBrian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just a friendly reminder here to keep this thread on topic. Advice for new drivers doesn't include war stories or comparisons of earnings vs hours worked. I appreciate all your contributions, but we really need to keep with time-tested, proven suggestions here. You're all more than welcome to start new threads on the other topics. Thanks again.

Lepke

You may want to add something about the dangers of throwing people out of your car.

Over the past two and a half years I've had very few occasions where I have had to ask people to get out of my car. Unfortunately each time I have had to say " get out" the same thing happenes.

People freak out and get belligerent when you ask them to get out of your car. A new driver may want to try to avoid this and try to finish the ride even if they are real jerks.
At the very least the passengers will slam your doors and at most they can get violent.

There are times when you cannot finish the ride. an example would be when five girls squeeze their way into my car before I realized there were five of them. I didn't start the trip and I explain to them that I could not take more than 4 and they freaked out. They refuse to exit my car until I dialed 911 at which time they got out slamming all three doors.

If you have no choice and have to end the ride early and kick the people out try your best to do it by the police and make sure the people that you are asking to leave your car are aware that the police are there.

Lepke

Vomit.
You did not take on the vomit issue.

A new driver should have barf bags or at least gallon size Ziploc freezer bags.
If someone vomits in your car pullover and ask them to exit the vehicle. The ride is over. Do not attempt to clean the vomit and do not allow the passenger to clean the vomit.
Take pictures, lots of pictures. End the ride rating the passenger one star and then notify Uber that a passenger threw up in your car. Turn off your app as your night is over.
Uber should give you $200 as a cleaning fee. If they don't be polite but persistent with your emails until you receive your $200 cleaning fee.

uber.duper

Can some experienced drivers weigh in on how exactly they handle underage riders? Do you ask for an ID if you're unsure?

Lepke

Can some experienced drivers weigh in on how exactly they handle underage riders? Do you ask for an ID if you're unsure?
I take them and I hope for the best.
A lot of times it's the parents account or the parents requested the ride for their kids.
I have refused this type of ride in the past but for the most part I just crossed my fingers and take them.

Caspita

• Dual channel dashcam. Don't ask why. Just get one and install it.
Any specific brand/reference recommendations on the dashcam?
• WetherTech or Husky floormats are highly recommended. The ones that come with your car can't handle all the wear and tear of full time driving. Seat covers are encouraged for the same reasons.
Is eBay the best place to get them? price wise I mean.. official website quoting $180 for prius mats $115 eBay just concerned these are the same quality,

Any comments on vomiting bags?

Thanks!

SibeRescueBrian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any specific brand/reference recommendations on the dashcam?

Is eBay the best place to get them? price wise I mean.. official website quoting $180 for prius mats $115 eBay just concerned these are the same quality,

Any comments on vomiting bags?

Thanks!
I don't have a specific recommendation for a dash cam because everyone has different requirements for what they want out of it. However, I DO like my Falcon Zero f360.

$180 seems awfully steep! I bought mine from the official website for my 2011 Altima for about 100 bucks. If you can get a better deal on eBay, go for it as long as you're buying from a trusted seller. You can also check out http://www.autoanything.com/ for specials as well.

Even when I drove Uber full time, I never worked the drunk crowd, so I have no personal experience with barf bags. I'm sure someone else would be able to assist you further with those.

UberSchmuber

Uber only gives out the U glow sign to limo plates in NJ or TLC in NY. I friend of mines gave me his. But I don't use it, don't want people jumping on the car at crosswalks so they can collect on the insurance.
They sell those signs on eBay. They are probably a good idea at night, but jumpers? Has anybody had that problem in the age of dash cams?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.