Inshur

Add Lee

Towie

hi,
So my licence finally arrived after 5 months!
I originally planned to do Uner as part time (weekends for £550 as advertised......)
Obviously that's not the case.

I still work full time but may opt to take redundancy or go part time or retire.
The more I read though the more I look at Add Lee.
Reading Cab4now's site he has gone back there.
Any experiences on here at all of driving for them?

Like the idea of free car (after number of jobs - 40 I think)?
Was going to buy a Galaxy for Uber but may wait

London UberExec Driver

I've no experience with Addison Lee, but as they supply you with a car, they can get you out on the road quicker, with minimal outlay. However, when you want to take time off for any reason you may still have to pay car rental, insurance, car washes etc., unless you hand the car back. I don't know their precise terms and conditions.

Furthermore, their own knowledge/topography test may be more challenging if you're new to driving in London.

With getting your own car, you have more flexibility in who to work for, and you can easily change firms if you don't like one. Getting your insurance and keeping on top of maintenance can be an issue though, as well as budgeting for these.

Shers

hi,
I originally planned to do Uner as part time (weekends for £550 as advertised......)

I still work full time but may opt to take redundancy or go part time or retire.

Personally I'd start with AL. Your outlay is more or less zero for starters. You'll need to work pretty hard with minimal time off as it becomes expensive the more absent you are.

If your knowledge isn't up to scratch they offer training at their knowledge school on Melton St.

You'll need to sit a written test and take a verbal knowledge test so I'd be prepared.

Give yourself a year and then make a decision.

voodooman

Ad lee knowledge test Ha ha ha ha ahahahahahhahha hahhhahahahhaaahh hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Shers

I think they are offering 4 weeks free car rental.

It might be an idea just to pop in the recruitment office on William road and have an informal chat.

I can't stress enough though about the importance of using a co car just just for starters to get a feel for the work. It really will minimise your risk.

Drive4fun

Add lee are desperate for drivers at the moment, people are just going away from them. Earning the points to qualify for a free car is almost impossible same for the free weeks when you need holiday. Their K test is quite hard and if you'd never done driving in London it will be difficult to pass. Only people that are still good there are the well known drivers, mostly old English guys and those working 12 hrs and above

Towie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Add lee are desperate for drivers at the moment, people are just going away from them. Earning the points to qualify for a free car is almost impossible same for the free weeks when you need holiday. Their K test is quite hard and if you'd never done driving in London it will be difficult to pass. Only people that are still good there are the well known drivers, mostly old English guys and those working 12 hrs and above
Cheers,
Presumably the cost still comes down of hire depending on jobs done on a sliding scale?
No one minds paying rent I guess if earning enough.
Any idea of how many jobs it is for a free weeks rent (and the sliding scale)?

Shers

Towie you were heavily involved on a thread in June by Alan on the same topic ( feel sorry for Addison Lee) I think you may need a recap. Nothing has changed since then.

Drive4fun

650-850 depending on the quarter, but if you are working night time it's impossible to do it because from 00:00 till 05:00 on cash and cc bookings you receive 0 points. New scheme is designed in favour only for those working at busy times: 05:00-09:00 then 17:00-19:00 and 21:00-00:00. Add Lee have too complicated paying system, it's no clear at all and no fair as well, for example pax wants to take him to the destination via M25 and route goes 15-20 miles longer but the driver will get paid the shortest possible way. Another thing with them is that they can send you to drive 10-15 miles to do a minimum payment job of £6.5, all together takes over 1hr before you clear of and ready for next one, and in the same time someone who is close friend to controllers will receive cash or credit card booking for over £150, this is a practice there and everyone who worked in add Lee and has eye to catch will confirm that.

Amb

[QUOTE
Anyone got the accurate answer and sliding scale please?[/QUOTE]

Jan -March =650
Apr-June =650
Jul-Sep =550
Oct-Dec =700

If you achieve the above quarterly target, you qualify for a week free in each quarter. You still have to pay insurance and cash wash though. Points per job varies from 0-4 depending time you are willing to work.

Last edited:

Towie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for replies- it's more complicated than I thought.
I thought it was a weekly target of around 50 points (and 50 points = free car)
25 points / jobs = half price car
Etc

Don't like the sound of the controllers feeding jobs either

Shers

On the face of it it looks as clear as mud I agree.

You will always get an element of feeding whatever office you join. Try not to let that cloud your judgement but just accept it as part and parcel of PH.

A good strategy would be to just concentrate on working core hours that suit you, obviously you must incorporate at least one rush hour period though.

I used to work Monday - Wednesday 05.00 on a prebook to start until 4pm when I hit my going home button, invariably I got a job taking me my way within an hour. Thursday and Friday were late days I started around 3pm and worked until 2-3am. I made a judgement call on working an extra day or half day on the weekend depending on the week I just had.

This strategy worked for me as I used to accumulate enough points plus a healthy amount of cash. Most of the time I earned a free car but as stated before, you never really earn a free car because you really do pay for it through the poor paying account work.

I'm not sure how the cash circuit is working at moment maybe a current AL worker can shine a light on that aspect.

driver84

hi,

i work for AL and i can give you the following tips. at end its up to you depending on your circumstances.

1. at this momment i wont join any cab company as its really dead and you wont make money because of school holidays. wait till september when it will pick up again.

2. do you have experience? if not i will suggest you do 6/12 monts of uber to get a feel for the job plus your knowledge for london.

3.every company has pros and cons. nobody is going to give you free money and you have to be relastic with your targets.

4. if you still want to join Al and dont have experience. i will then suggest you go to their knowledge school now. its 4/6 weeks course they say and by the time you finish the market is busy again as everyone is back to work/school.

5. pros of Al: low/non startup fee in terms of getting a car. first 4 weeks you dont pay car rental plus they give you lots of cash and credit card jobs in your first 4 weeks. basic to welcom you. lots of drivers including me made most of their money in the first 4 weeks.
their credit card and cash rates are almost as black cabs. they really good. their account jobs are shit and the rate for account jobs are similar as uber rate but at least you dont pay 20% on top of that.

6. cons of Al:
you will have to deal with controllers that sometimes dont know anything.
you need experience. not just of london but in terms of busy hours and locations. DONT WORRY about points. the ones that care about points are the ones that struggle. just look how much money you get.

hope this helps.