Acura Reliability

Seattle_my_beloved

Hi friends,
How reliable is an Acura MDX? Can an MDX take as much punishment as say a Toyota Highlander? I am just nervous about Acura's transmission. Your thoughts?
Thank you!

DrSavelli

My 2005 has 215k miles, and transmission is still okay. Change the transaxle fluid frequently if you are worried. Mine is driven only in the mountains - 3k to 7k above sea level. I stopped Ubering with it because of bad fuel economy and crazy high California gas prices. All in all a great car, and bullet proof in the snow when using snow specific tires.

Risab1981

Change the oil every 5k and transmission fluid every 15k and it will last a long time. Acura would be about the only higher end luxury car that doesn't require crazy expensive oil changes and other maintenance like BMW or Audi for example.

rideshare2870

In the past, MDX models from 2001-2006 are known to have transmission problems. I don’t know what year you have but it’s hard to tell the reliability the newer it is. It’s disappointing because I really liked the 2004-2006 generation.

Last edited:

Seattle_my_beloved

In the past, MDX models from 2001-2006 are known to have transmission problems. I don’t know what year you have but it’s hard to tell the reliability the newer it is. It’s disappointing because I really liked the 2004-2006 generation.
Actually I don't own one, I was thinking of getting one. But I think I cannot trust Acura and Infinity, and ofourse German cars. I should consider Lexus, and Lexus only.

rideshare2870

Actually I don't own one, I was thinking of getting one. But I think I cannot trust Acura and Infinity, and ofourse German cars. I should consider Lexus, and Lexus only.
I always find myself buying Toyota products myself. I was going to buy an 2005 MDX at one point but decided to play it safe and get a 2006 Sienna instead. The Sienna works better for rideshare anyways. I also bought a Corolla this year because buying a Toyota is like placing a bet on a horse that always wins. I’ve bought quite a few Toyotas now and although I try to buy something else when I’m car shopping, I always find myself steering back to a Toyota. Lexus is even better; you can’t expect nothing less from a Toyota product.

Risab1981

If you think buying a Lexus will guarantee a worry free existence of that vehicle, I have a bridge to sell you.

Any car and every car can have issues. Honda and Toyota and Subaru and Hyundai are extremely reliable vehicles, but that doesn't mean they can't break down because of poor maintenance or factory defects that manifest later on in the vehicle's life.

Basing a vehicle purchase, especially when you're talking about such a large amount of money when it comes to a Luxury SUV on a false pretense that just because it's a Lexus it won't have issues or is THAT much less likely to have issues would be silly.

Sticking with a reliable brand is a great start, however, again when it comes to such an insane amount of money, you have to consider other aspects of your purchase and factor them in.

Seattle_my_beloved

Ok beloved friends, I thought alot about it. And I want to play it safe. Reliability and resale value are the strengths of Lexus. So I am going with a Lexus RX450HL. Acura and Infinity are nice too, but I have something for Toyota/Lexus. That transmission issue on Honda/Acura is something taken to be seriously. A friend's brand new Accord blew up a transmission at 55k miles, and I can never forget that. I have beaten up three Toyotas so far, and they performed like champs with no problems whatsover. Lexus is Toyota, and I am sure it will not disappoint me. I have faith in Toyota.
I am going with it, need your well wishes.
Thank you so much.

18-02-07-lexus-rx-450hl.jpg
20190430_233355.jpg
20190430_234555.jpg

rideshare2870

Ok beloved friends, I thought alot about it. And I want to play it safe. Reliability and resale value are the strengths of Lexus. So I am going with a Lexus RX450HL. Acura and Infinity are nice too, but I have something for Toyota/Lexus. That transmission issue on Honda/Acura is something taken to be seriously. A friend's brand new Accord blew up a transmission at 55k miles, and I can never forget that. I have beaten up three Toyotas so far, and they performed like champs with no problems whatsover. Lexus is Toyota, and I am sure it will not disappoint me. I have faith in Toyota.
Thank you so much.

View attachment 316135 View attachment 316136 View attachment 316137
Wow, it has third row seats.

Risab1981

Thank you so much.

View attachment 316135 View attachment 316136 View attachment 316137

Are you planning on buying that to Uber in?!!?? In today's climate?

Also, are you planning on running XL in it? Like I advised you earlier, you may want to do a bit of research, before diving into such a large purchase. I remember reading that it has 0 leg room in the back, and will not fit any adult comfortably, only small children. You'll PISS people off picking them up in that and trying to shove them back there.

Spending 60k on an Luxury SUV to beat up doing Uber in 2019 is ABSOLUTELY insane. In 2014? maybe...but now? You're going to be doing X and Pool rides trying to find any work in this over saturated, surge-less climate, in a 60K Luxury SUV.

I wish you nothing but good luck, but damn dude...you're talking crazy shit here :wink:

DrSavelli

Wow, what a rig! My personal opinion...Uber doesn't deserve for you to run that beauty into the ground with their absurd psychological tricks, and definitely not for rock bottom rates with crazy cost of living increases happening. I always felt like to justify driving for Uber Lyft in the first place, you should find the cheapest most disposable most efficient vehicle possible. Only with full autonomy over the compensation aspect, would I take such a risk with a high-end vehicle. But what do I know?, I know longer drive for these companies. No hate. Hope it helps you make more money!!

2starDriver

Acura is virtually a Honda. It has a weaker transmission that can be dealt with by changing the fluid constantly (Every 15-30k miles). Other than that it's bullet proof. With basic maintenance it'll last a long time. I wouldn't compare it to a Toyota though.

How about timing belt?? Thats another thing to worry about.

2starDriver

Not really, as long as it's replaced on time. Some models (4 cylinders) don't even have timing belts and use timing chains instead.

That means extra time and $$$ along with trans fluid. This explains why mdx way cheaper than qx60
There are tons of 2016 mdx with packages around 25k. You can not even find base black 2016 qx60 under 30k in socal.