ACL U/L Newbie...

Bigsk8r

Hey folks...

I just started driving a few months ago. Lyft approved me on 6/15 and Uber on 6/16. Presently waiting on background check for RA...

I have a couple questions:

Are there places around Zilker where one platform can be, but not another?

Does anyone have a link to a good "rules for rideshares" for this event?

What is your opinion on who will be the biggest earner? I am guessing Uber due to the very large out of state crowd, but who knows...

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Jay Dean

When I drove for ACL two years ago, it was a godsend if people got out right at Atlanta Street before the Mopac onramp when it was congested so I could hop on Mopac instead of sitting in the madness, but things might be more streamlined now, I was always so annoyed driving for all three days because after the drop off, it was 30mins to get back to a pick up (at best) hopefully the flow is better, again this was two years ago so older info, hope that helps!

TNCTopher

There are two streets to get acquainted with:
Wallingwood Drive
Lee Barton Drive
I would recommend you add them to your GPS favorites and check them out. Official drop-off will be at Austin High and your pax will have to hoof it in. The only way for them to get any closer will be for them to either take a taxi or to use the R|A Hail a Honda. Both of those have exclusive drop-offs at Barton Springs Pool.

Bigsk8r

Wallingwood Drive
Lee Barton Drive
I would recommend you add them to your GPS favorites and check them out. Official drop-off will be at Austin High and your pax will have to hoof it in. The only way for them to get any closer will be for them to either take a taxi or to use the R|A Hail a Honda. Both of those have exclusive drop-offs at Barton Springs Pool.

Thank you for that. Yes... two places that offer a drop within 1/4 mile and also allow drivers to double back and get away from the fray... nice.

TNCTopher

Thank you for that. Yes... two places that offer a drop within 1/4 mile and also allow drivers to double back and get away from the fray... nice.
I gave a ride to the Austin High Principal this morning and she was overly concerned with the preferred pickup/drop-off spot being at the high school. Fortunately, they have adjusted schedules to minimize the mess. It will still be very sloppy getting in and out.

Another spot to consider will be Republic Square Park (4th and Guad). There will be free shuttles running all weekend. A good spot when on the other side of the river.

https://www.aclfestival.com/information/

Jay Dean

Another thing that is common is 5 pax trying to fit in a 4 seater around campus, that is for sure a day in court and a huge fine, I keep door locked and ask if 4 total? Once they are in car with 5 it's a nightmare explaining ...so avoid it all together

Last edited:

Bigsk8r

Another thing that is common is 5 pax trying to fit in a 4 seater around campus, that is for sure a day in court and a huge fine, I keep door locked and ask if 4 total? Once they are in car with 5 it's a nightmare explaining ...so avoid it all together

I have had this happen several times, and bowed to it the first week of school, when people were "new". No more.

Even though four skinnies can get in the back of my big car and be safe with no problem, I am just not going there again. They need to get 2 cars or an XL. That crap is has to stop.

Jay Dean

I have had this happen several times, and bowed to it the first week of school, when people were "new". No more.

Even though four skinnies can get in the back of my big car and be safe with no problem, I am just not going there again. They need to get 2 cars or an XL. That crap is has to stop.

Yeah but also is it is illegal, and very unsafe, it's hard to know that starting out, and could really be a huge problem if pulled over

Wallingwood Drive
Lee Barton Drive

Thinking about driving for ACL as well (this would be my first time) What can drivers for Uber expect surge wise?

El Gato

Thinking about driving for ACL as well (this would be my first time) What can drivers for Uber expect surge wise?
Last year I saw up to 5.1x surge in the Westlake area (I know cause I just looked up a screen shot of it on my phone right now). Uber was still operating in that area since it was outside of City Limits. I was only fortunate enough to snag a 1.4x and a 2.9x that paid out $39. Didn't work the festival full time so that is the only data I have and the time I did work I did 3 more rides with GetMe and Fare. I was however able to nab a sweet $106 Pay Out on the Fare platform over 10 miles away in the Northland Hills area as I was heading to Zilker for the end of the festival that particular night. They were headed up to Lake Travis and had nothing to do with ACL but since Fare did their peak pricing city wide instead of by geographically where the demand was I was able to avoid the ACL madness and still come out huge. Sorry to say that is not the case this year. :frown:

Last year I saw up to 5.1x surge in the Westlake area (I know cause I just looked up a screen shot of it on my phone right now). Uber was still operating in that area since it was outside of City Limits. I was only fortunate enough to snag a 1.4x and a 2.9x that paid out $39. Didn't work the festival full time so that is the only data I have and the time I did work I did 3 more rides with GetMe and Fare. I was however able to nab a sweet $106 Pay Out on the Fare platform over 10 miles away in the Northland Hills area as I was heading to Zilker for the end of the festival that particular night. They were headed up to Lake Travis and had nothing to do with ACL but since Fare did their peak pricing city wide instead of by geographically where the demand was I was able to avoid the ACL madness and still come out huge. Sorry to say that is not the case this year. :frown:

Thanks for the reply man. I know jay z supped be performing on Friday night, i nights stay away because of the clusterF***. What's the better day to work ACL Fri, Sat, or Sun??

TNCMinWage

Wallingwood Drive
Lee Barton Drive

Topher are you sure about Wallingwood? I'm looking at the maps from all the TNC's and see it marked as a no pick up or drop off area, and that cops will be ticketing on Wallingwood/N. Mopac area.

tcc83

Where does uber want us to drop off pax? Austin high?

Not really planning on doing much for acl because I've never made enough for it to be worth it. But, I'm sure some people will want to go down there.

TNCMinWage

Where does uber want us to drop off pax? Austin high?

Not really planning on doing much for acl because I've never made enough for it to be worth it. But, I'm sure some people will want to go down there.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Ultimately will get stuck with someone wanting to head down there. I'm gonna try and drop off at Austin High, seems to be the best place coming from up north. I think even Ihop drop off sounds risky if they are ticketing around there. Not gonna stick my neck out for pax and get a ticket to nullify my day.

tcc83

Yep, let them be pissed. They aren't going to pay the ticket for you.

Where should I legally drop coming from the south?

TNCMinWage

Yep, let them be pissed. They aren't going to pay the ticket for you.

Where should I legally drop coming from the south?

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like if coming from the south you'll want to approach from the east side, come over on riverside, and drop off at the designated spot on Lee Barton. Looks like a pain in butt, don't drive in south! Thought you were in Round Rock? You'll probably get some cheap tourists staying way up there in hotels looking to head down, no?

tcc83

I'll drive after work in north austin. I usually end up south at some point in the night, which is why I was wondering. Ended up on slaughter the last two fridays.

El Gato

There is Austin high and McDonlads on Barton Springs is an official Uber p/u area too.

https://www.uber.com/drive/austin/resources/2017-fall-festival-driving/

City-designated pickup/dropoff areas
  • Veterans Drive near the MoPac Bridge across from Austin High School: A staging lot will be available for TNCs in the parking lot north of Veterans Drive, though space may be limited. Please be aware that after 9pm, Veterans Drive will be one-way going northwest.
  • Lee Barton Drive: Limited 5 minute waiting area for pickups and dropoffs.
  • Sterzing Drive: Limited passenger pickup and dropoff area. Limited 5 minute waiting area.
McDonald's: Uber pickup/dropoff area
  • Cars can enter on Lamar Blvd or on Barton Springs Road.
  • Drivers will enter a First-In, First-Out queue when entering the lot.
  • A dedicated pickup lane will be directed by traffic staff.
  • Please exit by turning right onto Barton Springs Road.

Thanks for the reply man. I know jay z supped be performing on Friday night, i nights stay away because of the clusterF***. What's the better day to work ACL Fri, Sat, or Sun??

This entire weekend should be golden. Every school district has Columbus Day off so no children in school Monday is prime weekend to go out and have some fun if you have kids and want a weekend to yourself, and no kids and Monday off means 3 day weekend. Saturday should be huge all around since UT has a home game against a conference opponent that is 3-1 so expect large crowds (their stadium seats 106,000) around campus all day and at the local bars where other will watch the game. With drivers split between 4 TNC's and UT letting out around the same time ACL lets out, drivers will be stretched thin across the city an across multiple platforms which is going to lead to surge, prime time, priority fare, boost in multiple locations. Hell if you love doing airport runs I have noticed a huge demand on Uber there when the surge explodes around the city as drivers abandon the airport to chase the surge and then leave a vacuum at the airport. If I had to pick a night I would do Saturday, Friday next, and Sunday last.

Steady throughout the day, it would likely pick up in the afternoon to early evening as folks head out to see the headliners that end the day and folks heading home who have been there all day and don't care for the headliners and want to hit up some bars or rest before hitting up the bars. There will be a lull from about 7-10 as most people are where they want to be, and then around the 10-11 hour as concerts end huge demand as now EVERYONE is looking for a ride home. Signal is spotty at times so don't be surprised if you can't get a hold of your pax. You'll be lucky if you take one home and make it though the traffic with time to head back and pick up a second one before the surge starts to dissipate. Now your done w/ the festival time to get all those filks who I mentioned earlier hit up the bars between 1AM-3AM. If you work the suburbs, many rides from there to festival as well, be patient and they will come but after 7PM again I wouldn't count on rides from burbs to come into the city.

And if you are one of those that doesn't like working the festival, bide your time and likely expect a little more demand than usual on Monday following each weekend only cause all the other drivers are at home resting after busting their butts for 3 days. Should be good for everyone these next two weeks.

Bigsk8r

Hey folks,

I wanted to follow up here on the weekend. Not going to post numbers until after next weekend, but suffice it to say that I am very happy with the fruits of my labor. A couple things came as pleasant surprises to me:

- 2.5 x or more several times between 10PM and Midinight each day. And it did not require me to always be near the ACL section of town. Very nice.

- Except for Veterans Drive, each place I picked up and dropped off was not a total cluster to get to. My drops on Sterzing resulted in less than 15 minutes total time from crossing Lamar and making the drop, to next pax pick up. Maybe I got lucky, but I was impressed with traffic control and flow.

- I found a place to wait on Lamar South of McDonald's that made pickups very easy in the evening.

- During the meat of the show, I either slowed it down by doing a few airport runs, or going offline for a movie or dinner. On Saturday especially, getting ABIA rides was not time consuming at all and I even got a couple quickies on LUX and Select requests.

Finally, a HUGE thank you to each person who has weighed in and helped out. There are some jaded folks out there for sure, but most of the people I have interacted with are solid folks.

I appreciate you and the insights...

Larry