• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ACL 2018

Ziggy

Everything you ever needed to know about driving at ACL ... but were afraid to ask. This is my 4th ACL driving pax ... though there are a few salty drivers who drove illegally in 2014 and made an obscene amount of money. Let's face it, we'll never make as much this year as we did in 2015 ($5k/ACL for me) or even come close to the $3k/ACL from last year ... the key to the new Uber surge is short trips and there will be a ton of them.

Probably the worst place to be this year will be the airport ... starting 2 days ago, Airport Security started restricting the TNC lot and they only allowed cars onto the lot if there were available parking spaces ... so there's no more double & triple parking in the TNC Lot

Be safe & drive smart.

The biggest surges will likely be within the restricted zones but don't get caught driving there it's a $500 ticket (I know a few people who got them last year). Personally, I like working the fringes - away from the fray.
Here's the latest official ACL map:

Or download full-size to your phone > http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/CityStage/Transportation/ACL_ZilkerArea_MAP_10022018.pdf

Be Safe & Drive Smart ... 'cause there are a lot of drivers here from everywhere other than here (met a driver from NoLa yesterday).

tcc83

Just drove a little this afternoon. Made $150 and was home by 7:00. Good enough for this part timer. In many ways, the new surge was better for me. Those sorry short trips near campus or dt were paying me 10 instead of 4. Always ended in good position to grab another. Did 14 rides in a few hours including an airport trip with a short rematch.

I’ll leave the big bucks to y’all tonight. Hope y’all do well and stay safe. Scooters are everywhere!

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ll leave the big bucks to y’all tonight. Hope y’all do well and stay safe. Scooters are everywhere!
Me too ... I was home by 6pm with $128 in my pocket. I looked at the airport queue a few minutes ago (I like that I can see the queue from everywhere, even in the boonies) ... and I saw 90 X, 20 Lux, 40 Select, 40 XL ... naw, I'll pass ... maybe I'll grab a few in the morning.

Jay Dean

I dont have the energy for it anymore specially now with scooters, too busy and too annoying I can pull 140 a day (if I hustle that is) without the mass crowds and excitement and HIGH risk of running into something, and since there is no actual incentive for drivers this weekend, I’ll stick to early mornings and catch “regular fares”you all have fun getting a surge and spending time weaving through traffic and whatever else..
Again wtf are you driving x in a semi nice car without surge ALL the time, stop kidding yourself you are trading instant money for car value. ACL has become a scam worse than before because they hooked more people into thinking it is real money they are making when they are better off working at a fast food joint part time, and on the weekend of all things lol

Last edited:

tcc83

I accidentally took a pool today that ended up being $31 after picking up 3 pax. I think I got paid the surge for each individual pick up. I know the first one was $5 but I ended up with $11 in surge from the ride. Pool might be worth it if it’s surging everywhere because it allows you to knock out several trips at once.

Kenj19

I had a few rides from there. Mostly 11 boost...went to drive back for the 19 dollar boost, but didn't make it in time lol. Easier pickups this year imo

TNCTopher

I accidentally took a pool today that ended up being $31 after picking up 3 pax. I think I got paid the surge for each individual pick up. I know the first one was $5 but I ended up with $11 in surge from the ride. Pool might be worth it if it’s surging everywhere because it allows you to knock out several trips at once.
The multiplier at the start of the POOL ride is applied until your POOL ride is completed. When it's at the peak (+$27 each night this weekend) you should milk that @@@@er for as long as you can.

Ziggy

The multiplier at the start of the POOL ride is applied until your POOL ride is completed. When it's at the peak (+$27 each night this weekend) you should milk that @@@@er for as long as you can.
This would be the only time it’s worth taking Pool (at least it’s the only time I’ll take Pool). Thanks for the tip

Kenj19

I had something like this Saturday night, but for some reason the area around the McDonald's at Barton Springs was a complete data blackout for me. I ended up missing the two trips. Once I left the area, my data was normal again. Wtf?

Noonespecial

I had something like this Saturday night, but for some reason the area around the McDonald's at Barton Springs was a complete data blackout for me. I ended up missing the two trips. Once I left the area, my data was normal again. Wtf?
You can thank "the donald" for killing internet nuetrality. Everybody gets slowed down to nothing near large crowds. This is a crime against americans that i wish Agent Orange wasnt getting a free pass on.

Ziggy

I doubt it was a "donald" thing ... the apps have been crappy since 2014 during ACL, SXSW and other huge events. It's a capacity issue, the Austin cell networks can't handle >50K people on the same towers at once. In 2016 people blamed the new ride share apps (Fasten, Fare, GetMe, RA) for crappy service ... but those of us who have been giving rides on Uber/Lyft since 2014 experienced similar outages with both Uber & Lyft during ACL & SXSW ... it's purely a capacity issue - which is why I added SATNAV GPS to my car in 2015 and also why I run with both T-Mobile & AT&T during big events, 2 carriers minimizes outages ... though I still have apps freeze on occasion.

Steve_TX

You can thank "the donald" for killing internet nuetrality. Everybody gets slowed down to nothing near large crowds. This is a crime against americans that i wish Agent Orange wasnt getting a free pass on.
The President has no direct power to affect Net Neutrality. FCC commissioners have the power. FCC commissioners are a bi-partisan group, 3 of the 4 commissioners were appointed by Obama and re-appointed by Trump.

As Ziggy said, if you ever attended or drove a large event in the 'Net Neutrality days', you would have experienced the same thing. It is a bandwidth issue, Net Neutrality has nothing to do with it.

Noonespecial

The President has no direct power to affect Net Neutrality. FCC commissioners have the power. FCC commissioners are a bi-partisan group, 3 of the 4 commissioners were appointed by Obama and re-appointed by Trump.

As Ziggy said, if you ever attended or drove a large event in the 'Net Neutrality days', you would have experienced the same thing. It is a bandwidth issue, Net Neutrality has nothing to do with it.
There are 5.....not 4. Three were put there by obama but he hand picked a chairman who supported net neutrality. It was the donald who put "shit pie" in charge. But thats Ok, no need to discuss actual facts here in texas. Life would be no fun if i just blindly agreed with everyone else.

Steve_TX

There are 5.....not 4. Three were put there by obama but he hand picked a chairman who supported net neutrality. It was the donald who put "shit pie" in charge. But thats Ok, no need to discuss actual facts here in texas. Life would be no fun if i just blindly agreed with everyone else.
Nothing non-factual about what I wrote: There are only 4 FCC commissioners at the current time, the 5th seat is awaiting appointment.

Yea, The government needs the force companies to offer high-speed for everybody.. we can tax big corporations to pay for it , they don’t need that money..right? ( you’re welcome for the good economy . you can leave Texas now , before you f*** it up like Detroit or San Francisco..and take your damn Beto sign with you, please)

Kenj19

I worked the first weekend, and that's it. One snobby woman who was late and a couple of 2 star for nothing. I guess I didn't open the door for them and kiss the ground they walk on. I made more than I ever had in one night, but that's not saying much. I only do a 7 to 8 hour shift.

JustTreatMeFair

The congestion in the pickup/drop off areas as well as routes in ate up time that detracted from the minimal surge offered up.

whiskeyboat

so how did yall do for the ACL weekends? My vehicle is down waiting for a transmission replacement! Dammit!
money was decent, not extraordinary but with all the traffic you really had to work for it

so you missed out on some money but you also missed out on a lot of stress and a lot of wear and tear on your ride.

Ziggy

You also missed out on the extra stress caused by the scooters zipping blindly down the road