• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Accident

iDrive85

I got into an accident this morning ... drunk driver was making a u-trun from the right lane without checking. I was on the left lane so he hit the front passenger door.... I was on trip with a passenger in back seat. We all are fine, none hurt.... the other driver left his vehicle and fled the scene... I contacted the police and waited for the them . Uber contacted us ( me and the passenger)right away . The passenger took another ride and left....the cops showed up an hour after and they made a report then the towed the abandoned vehicle .

So My question is what should I expect from James river insurance? Are they gonna screw me ? How long will it take them to contact me ?

Thanks

Cableguynoe

I got into an accident this morning ... drunk driver was making a u-trun from the right lane without checking. I was on the left lane so he hit the front passenger door.... I was on trip with a passenger in back seat. We all are fine, none hurt.... the other driver left his vehicle and fled the scene... I contacted the police and waited for the them . Uber contacted us ( me and the passenger)right away . The passenger took another ride and left....the cops showed up an hour after and they made a report then the towed the abandoned vehicle .

So My question is what should I expect from James river insurance? Are they gonna screw me ? How long will it take them to contact me ?

Thanks
The insurance of the owner of the vehicle that hit you should be covering your repairs.

iDrive85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The insurance of the owner of the vehicle that hit you should be covering your repairs.
I forgot to mention that they other driver fled scene because he didn’t have DL nor insurance nor papers.
He literally left his car in the middle of the street.

U phoria

Thanks
How do you know he was drunk? How did uber know you were in an a accident?

iDrive85

How do you know he was drunk? How did uber know you were in an a accident?
Two guys were standing close by went to check on him and they mentioned that to me. He left his id in the car ( it’s from Central American country) .

I think uber have implemented a software that detect irregular car movements/vibration.... impressive must say.

Irishjohn831

I forgot to mention that they other driver fled scene because he didn’t have DL nor insurance nor papers.
He literally left his car in the middle of the street.
If he didn’t have insurance, do you have uninsured motorist insurance ? I’m sure Uber insurance does and will sue him.

iDrive85

If he didn’t have insurance, do you have uninsured motorist insurance ? I’m sure Uber insurance does and will sue him.
I do but My insurance has nothing to do with it since it was period 3 ( on trip ) .... I’m just curious about what will happen with uber insurance. Are they fair ? Will they try to pull some BS ?

25rides7daysaweek

Two guys were standing close by went to check on him and they mentioned that to me. He left his id in the car ( it’s from Central American country) .

I think uber have implemented a software that detect irregular car movements/vibration.... impressive must say.
I did read somewhere that the beacon has some sensors in it too. Not that they would need it they already got your phones GPS and accelerometer...

SCdave

What Personal Auto Insurance do you have? (Some cover all three periods of TNC Rideshare. Some only cover Period 1)

Do you have the Rideshare Endorsement on your Personal Auto Insurance?

What does police report say? Written like you are " not at fault"?

Will an Insurance Company screw you?Sometimes they do so on purpose? Sometimes they do so because of incompetence. A few are really good at what they do. Still your job is to be deligent either way.

Say less not more. When Insurance company asks you a question and you are not sure, ask agent to repeat the question or say, let me look at my notes.

And It's your job to keep great records of ALL correspondence.

I use Evernote. It's a free App/PC program for basic version which is enough. Evernote is awesome but most important To Keep Good RECORDS - photos, emails, pdfs, photos of all written correspondence, and after talking to agent/anyone, keep notes with date/time/other party's name, title, tel#/etc:

01/20/19: Rec'd Police Report #...
01/20/19 - 11:30am: called State Farm Ins and filed claim. Spoke to "Name/Contact Info). Gave recorded statement, etc...
01/20/19 - 1pm: Rec'd call from Uber James River (Name/Contact)... What was said.
01/21/19: Went to ABC Collision Repair. Rec'd repair estimate. $800 and 3-5 days. (Make sure they print and/or send you email with pdf of estimate).

Don't like the estimate. Get another one. Don't like the cheap Collision Repair Shop they "recommended", go to any Repair Facility you want and tell Insurance Agent this is where you will get your vehicle repaired - in California it's your CHOICE.

Lastly, dont believe what I've written or anyone else. Be a sceptic. Google multiple sources. Make lots of notes. Ask your Insurance Agent and/or James Rivers QUESTIONS then shut up and listen. Not quite sure, ask agent to repeat their answer.

I have No experience with Rideshare and being hit. And no experience with a hit and run.

Good luck and let us know how this goes.

MrMahogany

Glad you’re okay! I had the same type of accident (other driver made an illegal u-turn) almost a year ago while Ubering and I had an Uber passenger with me. The best thing for you here is that it sounds like you have witnesses (did you and/or cops get their info?) witnesses will make your case if they’re willing to help. My Uber passenger was my witness and he gave me his info and was contcated by the insurance. His help made it easy for the insurance to determine the other driver was 100% at fault.
Insurance should be able to cover you. Go see an attorney tomorrow and start seeing a doctor. My knee and back pains didn’t show up til 2 days later. I ended up pocketing a little over $8k from the $18k total settlement (plus car repairs).

James River will not try to screw you (in my case they were very communicative) but they will send you a very low estimate repair, so try to find a recommended repair shop to give you a proper estimate. Also if your car is not driveable have it towed to your house if you have enough room to hold it until the repairs start. The shop can always send someone to your house to get the estimate. If your car is at a tow or repair yard they will start accruing daily storage fees which the insurance should cover, but can be charged to you if for whatever reason the insurance company doesn’t cover it.

It’s gonna take some time for insurance companies to determine fault, so you’re gonna have to hang in there (this is the most frustrating period. in my case it was 2 1/2 weeks until the other insurance determined their client was at fault) But if you see a lawyer and explain to them, they will have a good idea of what the insurance companies will determine. Like i said, your best ally here will be the witnesses. If true that the other driver didn’t have insurance, then it will all fall on James River and they will shadow the coverage on your personal policy. Don’t do anything yourself other than report the accident, which you already did. Get a lawyer ASAP!! From the date of accident til my car was repaired was a little over a month but the insurance gave me a rental. From date of accident to date of settlement was about 6 months. Insurance companies aren’t THAT quick with these issues, so be patient. I hope you feel good and hang in there.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Sideslippy

I have experience with accidents and Uber. Your insurance always has something to do with the outcome. Uber requires you to have comprehensive insurance. Basically imagine Uber's insurance will mirror your insurance, if you have liability only you will have a bad time. If you don't have ride share addon for your own insurance, try to not mention you where doing ride-sharing at the time of accident.

And always contact other insurance if you're not at fault.

iDrive85

What Personal Auto Insurance do you have? (Some cover all three periods of TNC Rideshare. Some only cover Period 1)

Do you have the Rideshare Endorsement on your Personal Auto Insurance?

What does police report say? Written like you are " not at fault"?

Will an Insurance Company screw you?Sometimes they do so on purpose? Sometimes they do so because of incompetence. A few are really good at what they do. Still your job is to be deligent either way.

Say less not more. When Insurance company asks you a question and you are not sure, ask agent to repeat the question or say, let me look at my notes.

And It's your job to keep great records of ALL correspondence.

I use Evernote. It's a free App/PC program for basic version which is enough. Evernote is awesome but most important To Keep Good RECORDS - photos, emails, pdfs, photos of all written correspondence, and after talking to agent/anyone, keep notes with date/time/other party's name, title, tel#/etc:

01/20/19: Rec'd Police Report #...
01/20/19 - 11:30am: called State Farm Ins and filed claim. Spoke to "Name/Contact Info). Gave recorded statement, etc...
01/20/19 - 1pm: Rec'd call from Uber James River (Name/Contact)... What was said.
01/21/19: Went to ABC Collision Repair. Rec'd repair estimate. $800 and 3-5 days. (Make sure they print and/or send you email with pdf of estimate).

Don't like the estimate. Get another one. Don't like the cheap Collision Repair Shop they "recommended", go to any Repair Facility you want and tell Insurance Agent this is where you will get your vehicle repaired - in California it's your CHOICE.

Lastly, dont believe what I've written or anyone else. Be a sceptic. Google multiple sources. Make lots of notes. Ask your Insurance Agent and/or James Rivers QUESTIONS then shut up and listen. Not quite sure, ask agent to repeat their answer.

I have No experience with Rideshare and being hit. And no experience with a hit and run.

Good luck and let us know how this goes.

I have Geico and yes I have the ride share endorsement ( it covers only period one ).

the police didn't give me the report , he said that detective need to finish it ( since the other driver fled the scene ). he reviewed my dash cam and took a copy of the clip. it was clear that I was " not at fault". he gave me the incident No. and told me to give this to the insurance .

thank you very much for the advice . much appreciated

LoveBC

I have Geico and yes I have the ride share endorsement ( it covers only period one ).

the police didn't give me the report , he said that detective need to finish it ( since the other driver fled the scene ). he reviewed my dash cam and took a copy of the clip. it was clear that I was " not at fault". he gave me the incident No. and told me to give this to the insurance .

thank you very much for the advice . much appreciated
When the dectective is done fiddle farting with the report you go get a copy and forward to insurance company.

iDrive85

Glad you’re okay! I had the same type of accident (other driver made an illegal u-turn) almost a year ago while Ubering and I had an Uber passenger with me. The best thing for you here is that it sounds like you have witnesses (did you and/or cops get their info?) witnesses will make your case if they’re willing to help. My Uber passenger was my witness and he gave me his info and was contcated by the insurance. His help made it easy for the insurance to determine the other driver was 100% at fault.
Insurance should be able to cover you. Go see an attorney tomorrow and start seeing a doctor. My knee and back pains didn’t show up til 2 days later. I ended up pocketing a little over $8k from the $18k total settlement (plus car repairs).

James River will not try to screw you (in my case they were very communicative) but they will send you a very low estimate repair, so try to find a recommended repair shop to give you a proper estimate. Also if your car is not driveable have it towed to your house if you have enough room to hold it until the repairs start. The shop can always send someone to your house to get the estimate. If your car is at a tow or repair yard they will start accruing daily storage fees which the insurance should cover, but can be charged to you if for whatever reason the insurance company doesn’t cover it.

It’s gonna take some time for insurance companies to determine fault, so you’re gonna have to hang in there (this is the most frustrating period. in my case it was 2 1/2 weeks until the other insurance determined their client was at fault) But if you see a lawyer and explain to them, they will have a good idea of what the insurance companies will determine. Like i said, your best ally here will be the witnesses. If true that the other driver didn’t have insurance, then it will all fall on James River and they will shadow the coverage on your personal policy. Don’t do anything yourself other than report the accident, which you already did. Get a lawyer ASAP!! From the date of accident til my car was repaired was a little over a month but the insurance gave me a rental. From date of accident to date of settlement was about 6 months. Insurance companies aren’t THAT quick with these issues, so be patient. I hope you feel good and hang in there.

Good luck to you!

I took my passenger phone number and his info, I'm glad he was okay ( the impact was on his side) .
proving that i wasn't at fault was easy ( thank god for the dash cam).

I drove the car to my place and parked inside the garage. and i'm waiting for james river call.

I will try to find a lawyer asap and talk to them.... thanks for the help .I'm glad you were able to settle your case .

When the dectective is done fiddle farting with the report you go get a copy and forward to insurance company.
yea I had to do that 3 years ago.... i got in car accident by sea world on (int 5 ) and the other driver didn't have insurance . i had to wait two weeks for CHP to finish the report.

I have experience with accidents and Uber. Your insurance always has something to do with the outcome. Uber requires you to have comprehensive insurance. Basically imagine Uber's insurance will mirror your insurance, if you have liability only you will have a bad time. If you don't have ride share addon for your own insurance, try to not mention you where doing ride-sharing at the time of accident.

And always contact other insurance if you're not at fault.
well the passenger was in the car , so I only contact uber since my insurance has nothing to do with period 3. unfortunately the other driver has no insurance, so my only option is James River.

Irishjohn831

I took my passenger phone number and his info, I'm glad he was okay ( the impact was on his side) .
proving that i wasn't at fault was easy ( thank god for the dash cam).

I drove the car to my place and parked inside the garage. and i'm waiting for james river call.

I will try to find a lawyer asap and talk to them.... thanks for the help .I'm glad you were able to settle your case .

yea I had to do that 3 years ago.... i got in car accident by sea world on (int 5 ) and the other driver didn't have insurance . i had to wait two weeks for CHP to finish the report.

well the passenger was in the car , so I only contact uber since my insurance has nothing to do with period 3. unfortunately the other driver has no insurance, so my only option is James River.
Why are you typing, doesn’t your neck and back hurt ?