Accident while driving Lyft questions?

StaplesGuy

Looking for some information after an accident while driving with Lyft here in Boston. Had 2 passengers in the car and was rear ended and pushed into a 3rd car in front of me. Driver that rear ended me took full responsibility. Have 2-camera dash cam just in case. So I assume that since it was the drivers fault his insurance will be settling my car damage claim and the passengers medical bills be covered via Lyft's insurance directly. Would my medical bills be via the at fault driver or Lyfts? Anyone with some history with accident that was the other parties fault could reply. Will start the process Monday 4/15 so just want to get some basics.

john1975

Looking for some information after an accident while driving with Lyft here in Boston. Had 2 passengers in the car and was rear ended and pushed into a 3rd car in front of me. Driver that rear ended me took full responsibility. Have 2-camera dash cam just in case. So I assume that since it was the drivers fault his insurance will be settling my car damage claim and the passengers medical bills be covered via Lyft's insurance directly. Would my medical bills be via the at fault driver or Lyfts? Anyone with some history with accident that was the other parties fault could reply. Will start the process Monday 4/15 so just want to get some basics.
Contact lyft and their insurance company as well to report it. You don’t need to contact your insurance. Also expect lyft to deactivate you pending your car getting fixed. This means get a rental. You will pay up front but get reimbursed by insurance later. I’m not familiar with lyft rental program but I know Uber runs through hertz.

Tysmith95

Rideshare insurance add ons won't cover you with Lyft passengers in the car. You'd be covered by Lyfts insurance.

You should contact the at fault drivers insurance and Lyft. Lyft would have a $2500 deductable, but the at fault insurance should pay you for that plus the cost of a rental.

Jaackil

Here is the part you are not going to like. If you rear ended the car in front of you even though it was caused by the car rear ending you you are at fault for the car in front of you. So your deductible will apply for your damages caused by hitting the car in front of you. Unfortunately that is the way it goes in Mass. It’s essentislly how insurance companies have agreed to settle this kind of accident. Each car pays for the car in front of it. The only way to get around it is if you can prove you were a “safe” distance behind the car in front of you so that the driver behind you was driving so fast and reckless it was the only way it could have happened. But here is the thing. That “safe” distance is 1 car length at a full stop. Who ever stops 1 car length behind the person in front at a light or stop sign? If you are moving that distance gets longer. But you have cam footage so maybe you can prove it. On the other hand if your video shows you closer you may not want to use it, it will only be proof of fault. Good luck accidents suck hope it works out for you.

SOB

I was a solid car length behind the person at the light and was forced into that car so Im hoping I don’t have issues. which I have the dash cam footage of. The driver that rear ended me was going at least 30mph if not faster. The interior cam clearing shows him flying into my rear end. My trunk was pushed a solid 12” In from the impact. Initial contact with Lyft has been decent will see if it continues!!

DustyToad

Jaackil nailed this one. Unfortunately for you you will be paying the $2500 Lyfy deductible for the car you “hit”.

Another consideration to make in a different situation...
A good practice while waiting to take a left at a stop light is to keep your front wheels straight ahead. Don’t cut them to the turn just sitting there. Cut them when it’s all clear then make your turn.

Otherwise if someone rear ends you they’ll push you right into oncoming traffic and you will be at fault. And it would be a head on crash and it could be pretty serious.

Ssgcraig

Here is the part you are not going to like. If you rear ended the car in front of you even though it was caused by the car rear ending you you are at fault for the car in front of you. So your deductible will apply for your damages caused by hitting the car in front of you. Unfortunately that is the way it goes in Mass. It’s essentislly how insurance companies have agreed to settle this kind of accident. Each car pays for the car in front of it. The only way to get around it is if you can prove you were a “safe” distance behind the car in front of you so that the driver behind you was driving so fast and reckless it was the only way it could have happened. But here is the thing. That “safe” distance is 1 car length at a full stop. Who ever stops 1 car length behind the person in front at a light or stop sign? If you are moving that distance gets longer. But you have cam footage so maybe you can prove it. On the other hand if your video shows you closer you may not want to use it, it will only be proof of fault. Good luck accidents suck hope it works out for you.
Not true, I was rear ended and the person that rear ended me pushed me into the car in front of me. Person that rear ended me was at fault 100 percent for both cars. Was on 495 in Lawrence, stop and go traffic. Was not asked how much distance was in front of me, guy in front of me coorborated my story. I was not doing ride share, but I did not pay anything.

Reactions: SOB

Hugh J

I was a solid car length behind the person at the light and was forced into that car so Im hoping I don’t have issues. which I have the dash cam footage of. The driver that rear ended me was going at least 30mph if not faster. The interior cam clearing shows him flying into my rear end. My trunk was pushed a solid 12” In from the impact. Initial contact with Lyft has been decent will see if it continues!!
Can you upload the video?

SOB

I will upload the front & rear footage in the future once things get going with my case I don’t want to post it publicly now. But the interior camera showing the impact from behind it’s pretty scary. I have contacted a personal injury attorney so I really don’t want to post it publicly yet hope you understand. I will also post information on the process and the steps so people will know in the future. Such as I will be being paid via Lyft’s insurance for lost wages starting this week. They take a total of your gross earnings for 2018÷52 weeks and give you 75% of that. Which I was surprised about this I have submitted my tax documents and my doctors note and that I’ll be out indefinitely.. The injury side of the accident through Lyft has been excellent. They will be looking at my car at the tow yard today which is really my only concerns and I’m a bit nervous about how they handle it. Hoping this side does not turn into a big hassle. It was a 2016 Malibu LT so we’ll see what they come back with.. I will update....