Accident question

bedouin

Got into an accident earlier today. Minor door damage. Still opens/closes fine. Can I still drive with lyft/uber? Damage is noticeable.

Bpr2

If damage is noticeable, believe you me that a pax will rat you out to uber. I wouldn't risk it. Yes though, you can still drive for them since the door is working.

UberLaLa

Do NOT report it to Uber/Lyft unless you have to for whatever reason. Drive and get it fixed asap.

Do you have Rideshare insurance with your personal insurance?

SorryBluetoothOnly

I had minor door damage once. It was going to take several days to get it fixed, including painting and everything. So I timed the drop off at the garage so that it coincided with slow days. This meant that I drove around with the damage for a little over a week. I just apologized to each customer, acted flustered, and explained that it "just happened today". They were sympathetic. No reports. No rating hit.

Bleach

If you reported to Uber, you will temporary get deactivated. Fix or repair asap, because there will be that doo doo head pax will report you right away and guaranteed deactivated. Through the eyes of Uber, any type of ding or dent (no matter how small or big) is considered unsafe.

bedouin

I'm not going to report it to uber. I was on a ride too. But they are cool. Worried about my insurance. I don't have rideshare supplement. And the form is asking if I had passengers. The other will definitely report to his insurance. I really can't put that I had passengers. But will be lying if I didn't. Also if I put I wasn't driving, nor ever have driven for a fee.

Anyone else deal with this situation? And what should I do?

UberLaLa

I had minor door damage once. It was going to take several days to get it fixed, including painting and everything. So I timed the drop off at the garage so that it coincided with slow days. This meant that I drove around with the damage for a little over a week. I just apologized to each customer, acted flustered, and explained that it "just happened today". They were sympathetic. No reports. No rating hit.

Best Advice Award!

I'm not going to report it to uber. I was on a ride too. But they are cool. Worried about my insurance. I don't have rideshare supplement. And the form is asking if I had passengers. The other will definitely report to his insurance. I really can't put that I had passengers. But will be lying if I didn't. Also if I put I wasn't driving, nor ever have driven for a fee.

I had an accident with Uber passenger in car two years ago. If the accident is NOT your fault, do NOT contact your insurance company. Go after other driver's insurance for all repairs. Find new insurance company that provides affordable Rideshare (add-on) insurance - mine costs me $8 additional a month. Then Cancel your current before they find out and cancel you. You do not want an insurance company cancelling your insurance...not a good thing.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/my-uber-accident.35318/

Bleach

Best Advice Award!

I had an accident with Uber passenger in car two years ago. If the accident is NOT your fault, do NOT contact your insurance company. Go after other driver's insurance for all repairs. Find new insurance company that provides affordable Rideshare (add-on) insurance - mine costs me $8 additional a month. Then Cancel your current before they find out and cancel you. You do not want an insurance company cancelling your insurance...not a good thing.

Awesome dude, mine cost 8 additional bucks also for rideshare insurance. I have USAA

bedouin

It may be partially my fault. Guy pulls over before the corner. I see the passenger door open. So I pull ahead and start making a right. Then bam. I'm sure insurance will find it partially my fault and theirs.

Awesome dude, mine cost 8 additional bucks also for rideshare insurance. I have USAA

I was actually thinking of getting the USAA supplement. But was worried my main company would find out I was doing rideshare.

Bleach

It may be partially my fault. Guy pulls over before the corner. I see the passenger door open. So I pull ahead and start making a right. Then bam. I'm sure insurance will find it partially my fault and theirs.

I was actually thinking of getting the USAA supplement. But was worried my main company would find out I was doing rideshare.

RECOMMEND USAA, HELLA CHEAPER THAN MERCURY! WISH YOU THE BEST LUCK!

bedouin

I guess the main thing is determining who's at fault. I've been in 3 accidents, last one was over 7 years ago, but all were the other parties' fault. And there was major damage each time.

This time with ridesharing and passengers involved, I'm really not sure what to do.

TEDBUNDY

I'm sorry man this all sounds like hell right now. I wouldn't know what to do either if I was in your situation as I don't have rideshare insurance as well. That will be changing now, thanks to you guys mentioning USAA, etc. The advice the guys are giving is on point, especially UberLaLa

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

SorryBluetoothOnly

I guess the main thing is determining who's at fault. I've been in 3 accidents, last one was over 7 years ago, but all were the other parties' fault. And there was major damage each time.

This time with ridesharing and passengers involved, I'm really not sure what to do.

Determining fault is easy. Usually if the damage is on your door, it's a good sign that it's the other guy's fault, but it depends on the circumstances. So what happened?

bedouin

I was driving behind the guy. He pulls over and stops before the corner (red zone). I see the passenger door open. So I proceed to pull ahead and start my right turn. He starts moving forward and hits me. Hits the passenger side rear door.

But main issue is, I had pax. He will likely call his insurance, he has a Lexus. They will ask me about rideshare, pax, etc. I'm guessing they will contact my insurance and they will cancel me, right?

Last edited:

SorryBluetoothOnly

But main issue is, I had pax. He will likely call his insurance, he has a Lexus. They will ask me about rideshare, pax, etc. I'm guessing they will contact my insurance and they will cancel me, right?

Did you tell the other driver you were Uber AND give him your personal insurance policy info? If yes, then you're probably screwed, unless you can get this guy to admit he's 100% at fault and go entirely thru his insurance.

You had 2 other options:
  1. Don't admit you are Uber. Then it doesn't matter if your insurance is contacted. This can be difficult to hide if you're displaying trade dress.
  2. Tell him you are Uber and give him your UBER (James River) insurance info. Then your personal insurance does not get involved. You have a higher deductible ($1000), but that won't matter if he's found at fault.
It might be too late for 1 or 2 if you didn't do it already at the scene.

Last edited:

bedouin

Too late. I thought about JR insurance only after I left. I'm just going to have to report it. Probably get dropped by my insurance.

mandreyka

Insurance fraud that's what you'll be doing if you lie