• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

accident possibly at fault what do I say and not say

calipool222

arrg what do I do? I have not spoken to the insurance yet James Rivers in fear of saying the wrong thing, its been 2 weeks. I was driving on the hertz uber rental program. I was on my way to pick up passenger but he was on the other side of the street, lady slammed into me. I have a police report, of course I did not claim fault, but given circumstances it can look like my fault.. What should I say and more importantly NOT say. Will Uber cover it since I was on way to pick up passenger? How do I protect myself? The other driver claimed shoulder injury (probably looking for a payout especially knowing I work for Uber). Do I get a lawyer before filing the claims and speaking to JR? Time is running out need to get it rolling and I am petrified of making a wrong move. I am not concerned about the $1,000 deductible, now I am worried about baying this lady half my paycheck for the next 20 years.

Last edited:

AuxCordTherapy

Worst case scenario you pay a $1,000 deductible and your insurance premium goes up. Payouts for bodily harm typically won’t exceed $8,000 and that includes the doctor/lawyer fees, which your insurance will cover. Uber will also cover it because you were on your way to pick up a passenger.

But you have to explain how the accident happened exactly so you can get some advice on here.

Star Lord

arrg what do I do? I have not spoken to the insurance yet James Rivers in fear of saying the wrong thing, its been 2 weeks. I was on my way to pick up passenger but he was on the other side of the street, lady slammed into me. I have a police report, of course I did not claim fault, but given circumstances it can look like my fault.. What should I say and more importantly NOT say. Will Uber cover it since I was on way to pick up passenger? How do I protect myself? The other driver claimed shoulder injury (probably looking for a payout especially knowing I work for Uber). Do I get a lawyer before filing the claims and speaking to JR? Time is running out need to get it rolling and I am petrified of making a wrong move. I am not concerned about the $1,000 deductible, now I am worried about baying this lady half my paycheck for the next 20 years.
Contact your insurance company, and Uber..

Your insurance will payout first.. As long as u have the ride-share endorsement..

Uber will payout but only after they exhaust your insurance.. They usually work together.

Good luck.

UberTantrum

arrg what do I do? I have not spoken to the insurance yet James Rivers in fear of saying the wrong thing, its been 2 weeks. I was on my way to pick up passenger but he was on the other side of the street, lady slammed into me. I have a police report, of course I did not claim fault, but given circumstances it can look like my fault.. What should I say and more importantly NOT say. Will Uber cover it since I was on way to pick up passenger? How do I protect myself? The other driver claimed shoulder injury (probably looking for a payout especially knowing I work for Uber). Do I get a lawyer before filing the claims and speaking to JR? Time is running out need to get it rolling and I am petrified of making a wrong move. I am not concerned about the $1,000 deductible, now I am worried about baying this lady half my paycheck for the next 20 years.
You mess d up by letting them know you work for Uber..

AuxCordTherapy

Once you figure out what to say it’s ok to talk to your own insurance company. They are on your side and will try to do their best not to pay the other insurance company. If you get a call from the other party’s insurance company don’t talk to them. If you pick up the call unknowingly tell them you’re at work and to call back another time, and don’t pick up their calls again.

HelloNewbie

You should check with your own insurance first, if they don't cover it, uber has to help. Reason i feel this way is because fortunately, you did accept a request and you were on your way. The only time i feel its a major issue is if you were driving around and have yet to accept a request

UberLaLa

Two weeks? There are 3 phases of being on Uber App.
1. Waiting for a passenger. (If you have Rideshare Endorsement with your personal insurance company, they will cover you - if you do not have the Endorsement/Gap insurance, they will Cancel you.)
2. Have a Trip and on way to pickup passenger (sounds like you were in this phase, Rideshare endorsement does not cover this phase).
3. Passenger in car. (Rideshare endorsement does not cover this phase).

All that said, do NOT report to your insurance. If you have full coverage with your personal insurance, James River will cover your damages - less the $1k deductible.

Here is the real issue, you waited so long....Uber might deactivate you. Either way, you need to report it since other driver knows you were on Uber trip (picking up passenger) from what you said.

I would get a lawyer, since you waited so long.

Babak

If you were on your way to pick up the passenger. Uber's insurance is covered by the 50-100k insurance they have. If there was a passenger in your car then it would be on the 1million policy. So technically you're own insurance doesn't cover that. So make sure you tell them you were on the way to pick them up. That you already have the request. Make sure of the time log you have is correct. James Rivers is really hard insurance to deal with I hear.

somedriverguy

I see that people say don’t say you we’re in uber l, trying to find forums on why? I forgot to mention this was a Hetyz uber rental so I had to give the rental contract to police
There are people on this forum who think lying to the police will absolve them of responsibility, don't listen to them. The rules may suck but life is easier if you follow them. Also get a lawyer, it's their job to know how to handle these things

SCdave

It's a Hertz rental. Then what does your contract say? Guessing there are some very important things you must do when you are in an accident with THEIR vehicle.

Good luck. Let us know how this goes.

UberIsAllFubared

Worst case scenario you pay a $1,000 deductible and your insurance premium goes up. Payouts for bodily harm typically won’t exceed $8,000 and that includes the doctor/lawyer fees, which your insurance will cover. Uber will also cover it because you were on your way to pick up a passenger.

But you have to explain how the accident happened exactly so you can get some advice on here.
This is spot on. You are going to be out the deductible. You should also have personal insurance too, which if you weren't going to pickup a pax would cover you. But AuxCordTherapy is 100% right. Why sweat it now. Take care of it and move on.

Do not lie to insurance company. That will just dig the whole deeper for you.

Oh, your insurance is going to go up a couple hundred a month for at least the next three years.

I see that people say don’t say you we’re in uber l, trying to find forums on why? I forgot to mention this was a Hetyz uber rental so I had to give the rental contract to police
DO NOT LIE. If you lie to the insurance, you will never be able to get insurance again. Insurance companies are not stupid, they will do an investigation and will find out you drive for uber/lyft. Just suck it up, pay the deductible and move on. Its not the end of the world.

As someone said a long time ago, its not IF you will get in an accident doing this job, its WHEN. Average person puts 12,000 miles a year on their car. A full time ant probably puts 80,000 miles a year on their car.... and makes $40K. :p Its gonna happen to everyone if they do this job long enough.

uberer2016

Never ask for legal advice on this forum. Period...if you haven’t figured that out already.
Exactly. If people could get free legal advice from forums like these, the liars...i mean lawyers would go out of business.

If somone is qualified to give out legal advice, he wouldn't be on a forum like this.

uberist

arrg what do I do? I have not spoken to the insurance yet James Rivers in fear of saying the wrong thing, its been 2 weeks. I was driving on the hertz uber rental program. I was on my way to pick up passenger but he was on the other side of the street, lady slammed into me. I have a police report, of course I did not claim fault, but given circumstances it can look like my fault.. What should I say and more importantly NOT say. Will Uber cover it since I was on way to pick up passenger? How do I protect myself? The other driver claimed shoulder injury (probably looking for a payout especially knowing I work for Uber). Do I get a lawyer before filing the claims and speaking to JR? Time is running out need to get it rolling and I am petrified of making a wrong move. I am not concerned about the $1,000 deductible, now I am worried about baying this lady half my paycheck for the next 20 years.
You all ready made many wrong moves.

#1. Coming here to ask advice.
#2. Waiting to report
#3. Etc.

Uber20/20

My case....I was on trip with one pax in back seat. Attept to change lane and hit someone's rear fender with my left front fender and left front bumper. Must been a blind spot. He slow down ahead of me as I follow him to parking lot near by. I ask pax to grab another uber but he insist wait. So I exchange info and left. After I drop pax off uber call me ask if I got involve accident. WTF how did they know??? I said yea and he ask me to take pix of damage. He put hold on my uber acct till check and see if my car is ok to drive. 20 min later I was able to get back on road .He told me JR will contact me and they did next day. Have me download estamate express app and have me took more pix and send in ..That was it with uber and JR ..I was getting call by my insurance (state farm) but I did not reply because I wanted to find out who cover what .And I did not know what my insurance know and I didn't want to be me telling them everything .Anyways I end up speak to statefarm adjuster because the guy I hit call his insurance and his insurance call state farm ..I told I was working for uber and had pax. Of course state farm said they will not cover but JR will be primarily. State farm will let other insurance know to call JR ..At this point I need to go get estamat for my damage and let JR know how much it is. -1000 deduct and rest I'll get a check from JR I think.
U better act quick because there is time limit for report to get your car fixed. And other party might already contact both JR and your insurance if u guys exchange info if not they could still find out by cars license plate anyway. If your app was on and on the way to pick up? Likely JR will have to cover .

U are not to decide who's at fault. Just explain what happen in your point of view and let them figure it out .

UberIsAllFubared

My case....I was on trip with one pax in back seat. Attept to change lane and hit someone's rear fender with my left front fender and left front bumper. Must been a blind spot. He slow down ahead of me as I follow him to parking lot near by. I ask pax to grab another uber but he insist wait. So I exchange info and left. After I drop pax off uber call me ask if I got involve accident. WTF how did they know??? I said yea and he ask me to take pix of damage. He put hold on my uber acct till check and see if my car is ok to drive. 20 min later I was able to get back on road .He told me JR will contact me and they did next day. Have me download estamate express app and have me took more pix and send in ..That was it with uber and JR ..I was getting call by my insurance (state farm) but I did not reply because I wanted to find out who cover what .And I did not know what my insurance know and I didn't want to be me telling them everything .Anyways I end up speak to statefarm adjuster because the guy I hit call his insurance and his insurance call state farm ..I told I was working for uber and had pax. Of course state farm said they will not cover but JR will be primarily. State farm will let other insurance know to call JR ..At this point I need to go get estamat for my damage and let JR know how much it is. -1000 deduct and rest I'll get a check from JR I think.
U better act quick because there is time limit for report to get your car fixed. And other party might already contact both JR and your insurance if u guys exchange info if not they could still find out by cars license plate anyway. If your app was on and on the way to pick up? Likely JR will have to cover .

U are not to decide who's at fault. Just explain what happen in your point of view and let them figure it out .
Your pax told uber you got in an accident, thats how they knew.