Accident... on the road today

SCdave

If it is only a Fender Bender and your vehicle is okay to drive, best to not say anything to Uber at this time. If you do, they will "Waitlist" you while an Incident Report is handled by Uber Manager and James River (Raiser Insurance) investigates. This mean you will not be able to drive since you will not be able to login on your Driver App. This can take 7-10 days (hopefully faster - Farlance, do you know average time currently)?

1) As you stated you are planning to do, call your Insurance Company , go over incident and they will walk you through the process. Keep it simple: " I was stopped, someone hit me from behind. He said it was his fault." Let your agent ask you questions.
2) If you have Comprehensive (Hopefully, right), your Insurance Company/Agent should should be able to handle all of this for you.
3) Ask your insurance Agent when you can get your vehicle repaired and where. When you take your car in, don't say you drive for Uber(of course not, right). After they inspect and give you an estimate, talk and see if there is any way to get it repaired faster.
4) Think about how to time getting bumper fixed to minimize your down time from driving for Uber. Even though you get a Rental Car, you won't be able to drive Uber with a Rental Car.

If you don't have Comprehensive, your insurance will not be handle the claim for you. In this case, you will have to contact the other party's insurance company yourself to file a claim on your own.

Uber Insurance won't be involved in this type of claim I believe.

Baron VonStudley

Thanks to everyone for their wisdom and advice. I just got off of work from doing "Outside Lands" here in "The City".

From all of your brilliant wisdom... I've come to the conclusion that I should contact my Insurance company and tell them that I was hit from behind by a driver and keep my mouth shut about what I was doing. It's not like the insurance company needs to know that I was working at the time.

Actually, I wasn't working at the time since I wasn't getting paid a penny when this occurred.

People get hit all the time... and the Insurance companies don't ask them... were you working for Uber ???

Best to be straight up... and say I was hit from behind while I was in "The City" driving down the street.

Someone stop me before I pull the trigger tomorrow... if you think this isn't the right course of action.

... and thanks to all of you that have responded with your 2 cents.
I will only give my personal experience from 2 accidents that were not my fault. My insurance company was contacted by me to cover my ass in case the other driver had lapsed insurance or other issues. After consultation. My agent of 24 years said they no need to know nuthin. The other persons insurance is who I dealt with after that initial phone call. You said an elderly gentleman rear ended you so it's his insurance or hind personally liable. If you are not injured if look to simple quick repair through their appraiser but you pick where you want to go to fix and demand rental car. Don't try to anticipate thSt your insurance needs to know.

kalo

From all of your brilliant wisdom... I've come to the conclusion that I should contact my Insurance company and tell them that I was hit from behind by a driver and keep my mouth shut about what I was doing. It's not like the insurance company needs to know that I was working at the time.
They will give you a recorded interview. They will ask you if you were engaged in commercial activity. You will be committing insurance fraud one would think. This is exactly why Uber is successful with this model and worth billions. The UberX drivers are ALL shouldering many hidden costs and will lie. Playing out exactly as Uber has calculated. Smart men those Billionaires.

LUXYRIDE

This is what I received in my email from July 22nd. I am in Rhode Island, but the "bones" are the same regarding coverage. Lyft has Uber beat in this regard in that you do not have to have a passenger for property damage -- the app simply has to be "on." Hope this helps.

Date:07/22/2014 6:41 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Luxyrider
Subject: Rideshare Insurance Update

RIDESHARE INSURANCE UPDATE
Uber is committed to connecting riders and drivers to one of the safest rides on the road. We have always carried protection that exceeds rideshare, limo and taxi standards while rideshare drivers are on Uber trips. We’re excited to announce a few updates to provide you with more peace of mind and improve your claims experience (in the unfortunate event of an accident). The policy updates for all ridesharing drivers in Rhode Island include:
  • Coverage while on an Uber trip is now expressly primary - Updated
  • Claims process is streamlined - Updated
  • Coverages and limits remain the same

HOW HAS THE COVERAGE BEEN UPDATED?
  • From the moment you accept a trip to its conclusion, the coverage provided to rideshare partners is primary to your personal auto policy. (However it will not take precedence over any commercial auto insurance you may have for the vehicle).
  • If you have comprehensive and collision coverage for your vehicle on your personal auto policy, you are covered for comprehensive and collision by simply providing evidence that this coverage was in place at the time of the accident. Our insurer will no longer require you to make a claim on your personal auto insurance in order to get this coverage. This helps you get back on the road faster.

DO I STILL NEED TO CARRY MY OWN PERSONAL INSURANCE?
  • Yes. Valid personal auto insurance is required by state law to be on the road and we require it too.
  • If you want coverage for damage to your vehicle, consider purchasing collision and comprehensive coverage to protect you in the event of an incident; our contingent coverage only applies if you have purchased this on your personal policy.
  • If there’s an incident that your personal insurance refuses to cover while you are not on a trip, our contingent coverage for when you are logged on and available in the Uber Driver App will provide drivers with liability protection for bodily injury up to $50,000/individual/accident with a total of $100,000/accident and liability protection for property damage up to $25,000.

WHAT DO I DO IF I AM IN AN ACCIDENT?
  • As soon as it is safe to do so, contact your local Uber office.
  • Complete the incident report form that we provide.
  • You will be provided with a claim number and an adjuster will contact you on behalf of our insurer to resolve the claim.
  • If an accident occurs while on a trip, we will not require you to contact your personal auto insurer to make a claim. However we recommend that you still report the accident if your personal insurer requires that.

REMIND ME, WHAT COVERAGES ARE AVAILABLE WHILE ON A TRIP?
  • $1.5MM of third party liability insurance covering property damage and bodily injury to others
  • $1.5MM of uninsured / underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage
  • $50,000 of contingent comprehensive and collision with a $1,000 deductible for damage to your vehicle (you must carry collision insurance on your personal auto policy to get this coverage)
  • Personal Injury Protection of $5,000 in Rhode Island

Oc_DriverX

They will give you a recorded interview. They will ask you if you were engaged in commercial activity. You will be committing insurance fraud one would think. This is exactly why Uber is successful with this model and worth billions. The UberX drivers are ALL shouldering many hidden costs and will lie. Playing out exactly as Uber has calculated. Smart men those Billionaires.
If the OP's own insurance company does not have to pay the claim, I don't think they will give the OP a recorded interview. In this case the older gentleman's insurance company should be on the hook, and I don't know why they would care about whether the OP was engaged in commercial activity. This might be cutting a fine line, but since the OP had not been pinged and was not on a ride with a passenger, then an argument might be made that the OP was not engaged in commercial activity at the time of the accident.

kalo

If the OP's own insurance company does not have to pay the claim, I don't think they will give the OP a recorded interview. In this case the older gentleman's insurance company should be on the hook, and I don't know why they would care about whether the OP was engaged in commercial activity. This might be cutting a fine line, but since the OP had not been pinged and was not on a ride with a passenger, then an argument might be made that the OP was not engaged in commercial activity at the time of the accident.
I thought I read the OP will file with his insurance to cover his butt in case the other guy's insurance was lapsed, etc. I know I've written this on another thread somewhere, but I will try again here. The fine line would not be a line if Uber drivers are writing off these miles on their Schedule C for taxes. Writing off the miles = in business. Personally, to me, there is no line at all, if the APP is on, you are in business. Where this will be a big deal is when the Uber driver is at fault and hits the kid on a bike. The fact many people are wanting the OP to come up with a story, stretch the truth, lie, shows what Uber is getting away with. It should be stopped ASAP. I know Uber is working with and wanting insurance companies to come up with something for this GAP. Me too.

You would first file a claim with the other parties insurance company. If they deny the claim (say he did not pay his premium) or he actually had no insurance then you would go to your own insurance company and commit insurance fraud by not letting them know what you were doing at the time of the accident. File a claim and pay your deductible. Or you could tell the truth and get your claim denied again, and get dropped from your insurance, then you could file on Ubers insurance with a $1000 deductible. So they make it in your interest to lie to your insurance company and commit insurance fraud to save money on the deductible. In the end Uber has no liability, just how they want it.
Walkersm, I thought I read all the posts now I just saw yours. You summed it up well, I could have saved some typing. The California insurance regulators should have a look at this thread. I think I know which way they would vote if they did.

Last edited:

David Madrid

So I'm driving in bumper to bumper traffic on a city street and we all come to a stop at a stoplight... other than the guy right behind me and he hits the back of my car at around 3-5 mph and leaves a dent and scratch in my bumper. The older gentleman that hit me pulls off to the side and I get his name and address along with his insurance company and his policy. I also took a picture of the damage to my bumper with the Uber phone.

Just what we all hope for while driving and trying to make a buck.

Now I must ask... will Uber's insurance cover my damages ???

I was driving without a passenger... BUT, I was online driving waiting for a ping.

Does anyone have any insight on this kind of situation ?

Thanks, for your thoughts and input.

Sincerely,

Bummed I got a dent in my bumper guy
If you report it to uber you will be deactivated just pay out of pocket, because you were working it would be fraud to work as a driver and file a claim

David Madrid

If you log into the partner dashboard, you should see an option somewhere on the page to submit a ticket for something you need help with. And no, you won't be deactivated. That's silly.

Can't say anything about your personal insurance. It's not my area of expertise. We have a team that handles accidents specifically.
He could be deactivated don't lie to the guy Uber doesn't want drama.

Monica rodriguez

I dont know much about insuarance but if I got in an accident w/o a pax I would just contact that guys insurance company then if rejected then my personal insurance company ( I wouldn't tell em abt being on Uber at the moment, they wont know and the accident wasnt uber related anyway so how does it matter?) I know people here may criticize me for that but I dont care.

Walkersm

I dont know much about insuarance but if I got in an accident w/o a pax I would just contact that guys insurance company then if rejected then my personal insurance company ( I wouldn't tell em abt being on Uber at the moment, they wont know and the accident wasnt uber related anyway so how does it matter?) I know people here may criticize me for that but I dont care.
And that is the attitude Uber wants you to have. But most people argue it was Uber related since the only reason you were on the road was for a commercial purpose. But who really cares right I mean one insurance vs. another insurance. Big deal. It wont matter until the cost to renew your personal policy jumps up 400% because all of the accidents that would have gone against commercial insurance are now going against people's personal insurance. But most of America won't mind paying for the commercial activity of Uber since they are such a well loved company.

May as well pool the Semi truck and oil tankers into our personal auto policies as well. If Uber should not have to pay for accidents their driver cause while out doing business for Uber why should Exxon have to pay for an oil spill?

Monica rodriguez

And that is the attitude Uber wants you to have. But most people argue it was Uber related since the only reason you were on the road was for a commercial purpose. But who really cares right I mean one insurance vs. another insurance. Big deal. It wont matter until the cost to renew your personal policy jumps up 400% because all of the accidents that would have gone against commercial insurance are now going against people's personal insurance. But most of America won't mind paying for the commercial activity of Uber since they are such a well loved company.

May as well pool the Semi truck and oil tankers into our personal auto policies as well. If Uber should not have to pay for accidents their driver cause while out doing business for Uber why should Exxon have to pay for an oil spill?
I am on Uber while driving back home from work/school so if I werent on Uber I would still be on the road going back home so if someone hit my car I dont think its because of Uber. It had to happen. And one should be horrible driver to have so many accidents. I have been driving for over 10 years without an accident. No one has hit me and I havent hit anyone.

UberLuxbod

You have a choice.

Deny you were working for Uber and have ever worked Rideshare.

Likely this will be via a telephone conversation were they will analyse the conversation to see if they think you are lying.

Or rely on Uber doing what they say theu will do.

As soon as the other parties insurance realises you are using Uber Insurance i would expect this info to be saved on a database.

Wether your current insurers have access to that info I don't know.

The dilemma you are in is why I go on about UberX having proper Insurance coverage.

Uber can replace you in a second.

Imagine if you had two pax onboard who decide to go to an Ambulance Chaser?

Protect yourself.

Nobody will do it for you