• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Accident (no passenger but online) need insurance advice

ave284

Hi, I was involved in an accident yesterday, I was online but w/o a passenger. I rear ended a vehicle and totaled my car, but the other car received minor damage, dent, paint scrapes. The guy took my informatoin and was okay to leave. I have my own insurance w/ a much better deductible but also have the uber rideshare insurance.
The deductible through Uber is 1k. My own insurance is $500.

my question is, if anyone has been in the situation themselves: Which insurance should I make the claim through? And If i go through Uber and able to get a loaner vehicle, do I also have to inform my private insurance? I'm certain my car is totalled, but getting an estimate tomorrow at the body shop who took it. No police report was filed.

Any advice?

ave284

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s the insurance that he will be pursuing. You’ll have to report the accident to your private insurance.
I assumed so. So in a scenario where I report it to Uber instead, what would happen?
I also assume if I report to Uber the DMV will still get notified and my insurance will therefore know and have a mark against myself?

I'm basically wondering if I go through Ubers insurance, how would that work with getting the car totaled out, etc?

Daisey77

Were you matched up with a passenger? Do you have a Rideshare Gap policy in addition to your private policy and besides Ubers question mark does the other driver know you Drive rideshare?

Daisey77

I assumed so. So in a scenario where I report it to Uber instead, what would happen?
I also assume if I report to Uber the DMV will still get notified and my insurance will therefore know and have a mark against myself?

I'm basically wondering if I go through Ubers insurance, how would that work with getting the car totaled out, etc?
It's a nightmare if you can avoid it at all I would but you have to be careful because you going through your own personal insurance if they find out you were online it could be considered insurance fraud. I don't know what your state laws are

25rides7daysaweek

Uber's insurance only covers
paxes and the other guy
Dont tell anyone about uber
if you dont have too EVER !!!!

Soldiering

I had an at fault over 3 years ago. I was online with no one in the car but had a Gryft fish on the line so too speak. He took my info an headed out too work. I never saw it spoke too him again. I filed using my own insurance. Everything got fixed an my insurance went up but my rideshare gig was unaffected. Why would you want Guber involved? They essentially hate you. Good luck bro

Dekero

Hi, I was involved in an accident yesterday, I was online but w/o a passenger. I rear ended a vehicle and totaled my car, but the other car received minor damage, dent, paint scrapes. The guy took my informatoin and was okay to leave. I have my own insurance w/ a much better deductible but also have the uber rideshare insurance.
The deductible through Uber is 1k. My own insurance is $500.

my question is, if anyone has been in the situation themselves: Which insurance should I make the claim through? And If i go through Uber and able to get a loaner vehicle, do I also have to inform my private insurance? I'm certain my car is totalled, but getting an estimate tomorrow at the body shop who took it. No police report was filed.

Any advice?
I'm sorry to say not only are you going to be stuck using Ubers Insurance... Odds are pretty good that your private insurance is going to find out about the accident and find out that you were doing rideshare without a rideshare endorsement and cancel you for cause... I sure hope that's not what happens but the odds aren't in your favor. Sorry buddy..
Post automatically merged:

my private insurance info
Did he know you were driving Uber at the time... If not keep it on the dl

Chorch

If your insurance doesn’t know u Uber... just keep them out... don’t say anything about them. You were never online capishe
Again: you go through Uber, your insurance WILL find out.

There’s no way your insurance won’t find out. If you are in an accident, no matter what insurance you go through, your personal one WILL find out.

I learnt that the hard way (effing Geico).

———————————

First question: is your insurance aware that you were ubering? Do you pay that extra for rideshare policy?
If you do, then go through your insurance. They will guide you (most possible thing is the ask you to use uber’s insurance).

If you don’t have rideshare insurance, don’t even waste time going through your insurance. Talk straight to Uber.

And be prepared to get an email from your insurance saying they need a statement from you saying you were doing uber without their knowledge. And they will drop you. Time to get new insurance.

Last edited:

Daisey77

I'm sorry to say not only are you going to be stuck using Ubers Insurance... Odds are pretty good that your private insurance is going to find out about the accident and find out that you were doing rideshare without a rideshare endorsement and cancel you for cause... I sure hope that's not what happens but the odds aren't in your favor. Sorry buddy..
Post automatically merged:

Did he know you were driving Uber at the time... If not keep it on the dl
Again: you go through Uber, your insurance WILL find out.

There’s no way your insurance won’t find out. If you are in an accident, no matter what insurance you go through, your personal one WILL find out.

———————————

First question: is your insurance aware that you were ubering? Do you pay that extra for rideshare policy?
If you do, then go through your insurance. They will guide you (most possible thing is the ask you to use uber’s insurance).

If you don’t hmedication.are insurance, don’tn waste time going through your insurance. Talk straight to Uber.

And be prepared to policy email from your insurance saying they nefault.statement from you saying you were doing uber without their knowledge. And they will drop you. Time to get new insurance.
This is not true. It's not guaranteed your personal insurance is going to drop you. I would go through your personal insurance and not mention Uber, if they don't know you drive for them or don't call your personal insurance and report it through Uber. If you have a Rideshare gap insurance policy just go through that. I never notified my personal insurance when I started driving and they officially don't know still . My agent does now know but the company still does not know and Ive been in three accidents.

I guess the big question right now is were you matched with a passenger or were you just online waiting for a request to come in? If you were just online, hands-down go through your personal insurance . there's no issue with that. Uber only has liability on us during that period. My agent even said if it's during phase 1, I'd file through them🤷🏼

I hate Geico! One of their insured hit me with two passengers in my car. it was not my fault. their driver got ticketed and I lost everything. I was evicted. I had to put my dog down due to a stroke because I couldn't afford her heart medication. they would not pay any lost wages until my truck was fixed, which took over 8 weeks! I loathe them🤬

Last edited:

Diamondraider

This is not true. It's not guaranteed your personal insurance is going to drop you. I would go through your personal insurance and not mention Uber, if they don't know you drive for them or don't call your personal insurance and report it through Uber. If you have a Rideshare gap insurance policy just go through that. I never notified my personal insurance when I started driving and they officially don't know still . My agent does now know but the company still does not know and Ive been in three accidents.

I guess the big question right now is were you matched with a passenger or were you just online waiting for a request to come in? If you were just online, hands-down go through your personal insurance . there's no issue with that. Uber only has liability on us during that period. My agent even said if it's during phase 1, I'd file through them🤷🏼

I hate Geico! One of their insured hit me with two passengers in my car. it was not my fault. their driver got ticketed and I lost everything. I was evicted. I had to put my dog down due to a stroke because I couldn't afford her heart medication. they would not pay any lost wages until my truck was fixed, which took over 8 weeks! I loathe them🤬
Is this a Johnny paycheck song?
😎

DriverMark

There are 3 stages to Ubering w/ Insurance. I don't think you answered one question above...... did you accept a ride but not pick them up yet? OR were you waiting for a request to come through?

This is important because that determines the stage you are in.

In a brief nutshell (go do your own research here, this isn't a definate thing below, especially on Stage 2 which is a grey area):

Stage 1: You are just online, but haven't accepted a ride ---- you are on your own, personal insurance covers
Stage 2: Accepted a ride and en-rout to pickup --- This is a weird funky grey area. Good luck with either your personal or U/L insurance. It's some weird crap between the two. Good luck in this scenario and the 2 insurance companies might fight who is going to cover.
Stage 3: You picked up PAX and driving them -- U/L full coverage

If you can avoid using U/L insurance you will probably work out better.

New2This

I have my own insurance w/ a much better deductible but also have the uber rideshare insurance.
When you say "Uber rideshare insurance" do you mean a separate rider on your policy or the coverage Uber provides?

Did you sign up for the Uber Optional Insurance?

20191009_120648.jpg

Were you injured?

amazinghl

Uber only covers liability insurance for third party.
Driver or driver's car is NOT covered what so ever despite what Uber try tell you. Driver's have to cover his own body and property with his own auto insurance.