Access to my mother's car — I'm not insured on her plan

nostrum90

I was curious about any experience anyone had with the rent for Uber service start ups. Can I potentially rent the car from my mom through one of these services and had insurance covered. She's willing to rent the car, but only wants to rent to me.

Thanks,

wpguy1967

Well, it didn't take 10 seconds googling to see that hyrecar averages about $50 a day to rent. That would likely be 50% of what you'd make and I can't see that playing out.

Go grab yourself a cheap car with a cheap payment. Even if you have to go "buy here pay here" you can grab something for $200 to $300 a month over $50 a day.

Last edited:

gofry

I was curious about any experience anyone had with the rent for Uber service start ups. Can I potentially rent the car from my mom through one of these services and had insurance covered. She's willing to rent the car, but only wants to rent to me.

Thanks,
Even if you could do it it is a bad idea. It costs something like $600 a month. Don't buy or rent anything if you can't afford it, especially to drive for Uber, where you may not make enough to make the payments.

If you have some money, buy a beater, as wpguy1967 suggests. Otherwise you'll get into a deep hole.

Finally, try borrowing a car for a few weeks, then do the math before you dive in.