Uber Drivers Forum banner

AC went out

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  don3rd1981 
#1 ·
So my AC went out yesterday, it seems to me like it would be a death sentence to my account to try to do Uber without any AC, especially when you consider I'm in Florida. I already have people who have a tendency to give me a 3 or 4 rating even though I'm a very safe driver. Will hold conversation when riders want to but can read people well enough to know when they don't want to talk. Also keep a very clean car inside and out. I think we can thank Yelp for this mind set.

I know there are plenty on here that has been doing this for a while so I wanted to get some seasoned drivers opinions. Am I right to assume that trying to rideshare without AC would be a great way to get myself deactivated within days from bad ratings?

#2 ·
I had a pax today who would have loved you. Asked me to turn my AC off completely, which of course I wasn’t doing. I’m sure I got a 1 star to match the 1 star I gave him after he then put my window down. (Like dude, I turned the AC all the way down and you’re in the back seat. Its 91+ out...)

#5 ·
I actually tried this but it didn't work. Tried changing out the part I suspected the issue was with and that didn't work. My roommate's boss told him that sometimes when the refridgerant hasn't been evacuated and refilled after a long time that it can get dirty and clog the system. The car has over 145k miles on it and since the last 3 years I've had it I haven't done anything with the air so I'm really hoping that's the problem.

#6 ·
In Florida I gotta imagine AC is mandatory I couldn't imagine driving around no ac

So you said your ac doesn't work but does the blower fan still work normally ?
Does it get cold at all or nothing ?

You're probably gonna have to take it get it diagnosed they can do a full AC system check I believe most shops charge about $69 for the check , hope it just needs to be recharged properly but if you've already tried to charge yourself and you did it correctly you probably have a more serious problem like your AC Condenser or more than likely your Compressor

#9 ·
I'm in Jacksonville, FL. It's pretty much the same here. Most nights won't drop below 80 degrees out.

In Florida I gotta imagine AC is mandatory I couldn't imagine driving around no ac

So you said your ac doesn't work but does the blower fan still work normally ?
Does it get cold at all or nothing ?

You're probably gonna have to take it get it diagnosed they can do a full AC system check I believe most shops charge about $69 for the check , hope it just needs to be recharged properly but if you've already tried to charge yourself and you did it correctly you probably have a more serious problem like your AC Condenser or more than likely your Compressor
It's most likely the compressor since it seems that the compressor clutch isn't even trying to engage.

Spoke to a friend of mine who was a mechanic for a long time. He thinks it's an electric issue. Says that if it was something mechanical that i would at least here it periodically clicking as if it were trying to engage.

#11 ·
It's 84 in jacksonville right now. If I were in a car without AC I would probably go on a rampage. I'm sorry to say I would have to rate lower because of it.

#13 ·
Well finally got my AC running. It turned out to be the compressor. I took it to a local nissan dealership to have it diagnosed and pinpoint the issue, then picked up the part last night and installed it today. First time I've ever done any work to my car that complex, have only done brakes and oil before. Couldn't tell you how huge the relief was when I turned that car key and felt the cold air start to flow. Ready to hit the road again in the AM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.