• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

AB5 HAS PASSED

DeadEndRoad

Let’s give a nice round of applause to the idiots in California. You guys are now going to be employees. So you can say bye-bye to surge, You can say bye-bye to setting your own hours, and now Uber is going to be on you guys like white on rice. Your acceptance rate goes below 80%, YOU ARE FIRED. Uber is going to tighten the parameters on drivers now and will probably deactivate half the drivers because they don’t wanna pay benefits to them. Uber may be too big to pull out of California, but they will make your life a living hell. I think people are making a big mistake here. But hey you reap what you sow and I’m gonna laugh my ass off would half the drivers in California get deactivated because they can’t get their numbers up. Uber is going to find a way to get around this law and Uber will find ways to deactivate you.
Maybe, maybe not. At this point its pure speculation. I for one would not accept employee status. But I don't believe uber can cut its workforce and survive in that large of a market.

Ssgcraig

The reason AB5 passed was because the pay was cut below poverty wages and there was nothing left to take from the drivers. So there will be no pay cuts at Uber and Lyft.

Now Lyft and Uber will have to pay at least the minimum wage plus driver vehicle expenses which the IRS says are .58 cents a mile. That is not a pay cut. That is a pay increase for the majority of the drivers.
Post automatically merged:

Nothing for right now. The law just applies to California until other states pass similar laws.
Minimum wage while on a ride, yeah that's a pay increase.
You will get your $.58 upfront, only difference is who is paying it to you. This is not a pay increase, this is at best, a minimum wage job in CA now. How do you see this as a pay increase? Good job liberals!

I think other states will wait to see the fail/success story.

Taxi2Uber

What part of AB5 requires schedules ? Let's see it.
What part of AB5 requires flexible schedules?
After four years and over 8000k plus rides with an average rating of 4.95... I never had the illusion of making easy money but I did believe if one puts the time in with the goal of getting each pax to their destination in a safe timely manner with courtesy. Then one should receive fair compensation. But as all of us know, there is a better chance of seeing world peace before that day would arrive.
How long ago did you quit driving?
What were the rates when you quit?

Last edited:

SuperDumped

Whats this mean for the ride share drivers in the rest of the country?
nothing much doesn't take effect till jan 1 2020 so theyll try to loot as much as they can by then

it just means 3 of their top 5 markets that bring in 80% of their revenues will be regulated ny, la, san fran, brazil, london

rest of markets are literally pennies compared to those 5

ny got $7 minimums $1.75 per mile .35 per minute, cap on hiring and when too many drivers in an area others cant log in, i expect the same in cali they can expect a new drivers agreement in order to log in on jan 1 so they fall under independent contractor status still so no unemployment, no workers comp no soc security credits but lesst minimum & maybe livable wages

other than that rest of country will take years to pass similar,96% will continue to fail or quit

but the public gets more knowledge into how these criminal orgimizations operate some will tip more, others will continue to exploit the app because theyre just poor not stupid

Ssgcraig

At this point I almost want Uber, Lyft, and others to go out of business and be replaced by more humane companies kind of like The Costco of The Gig Economy.
Post automatically merged:

They CAN'T REDUCE PAY because employees are ENTITLED TO MINIMUM WAGE AFTER EXPENSES. Uber/Lyft drives will have to make the minimum wage AFTER DEDUCTING 58 cents per mile.
If you drive 200 miles in 8 hours and make $116, then your income will be considered $0 and Uber will have to pay you minimum wage for 8 hours on top of those $116 you made. Uber and Lyft will try and claim that you're only working when you are on a trip, but California will geve Uber/Lyft another beating for the ages if they try and pull that BS. Uber/Lyft will have to pay overtime and other stuff too.
This is delusional, companies other than Uber already throttle employee hours so they don't pay overtime. 200 miles in 8 hours in my market is $308, this doesn't include the $.58 I get to write off which comes to $116. 200 miles in CA dream world is min wage plus $.58 a mile. What does that come to? $212 dollars? But wait, don't forget about being taxed at a regular rate now, also health insurance comes out of that $208. But wait, overtime? Youre kidding right? You think Uber will allow you to log in more the 39.9 hours online?

Last edited:
This is delusional, companies other than Uber already throttle employee hours so they don't pay overtime. 200 miles in 8 hours in my market is $308. 200 miles in CA dream world is min wage plus $.58 a mile. What does that come to? $212 dollars? But wait, don't forget about being taxed at a regular rate now, also health insurance comes out of that $208. But wait, overtime? Youre kidding right? You think Uber will allow you to log in more the 39.9 hours online?
It’s California man... this is the same state who just yesterday signed a bill into law allowing schools to not suspend disruptive kids who verbally abuse their teachers. It’s laughable I know.

Seamus

In the 30 days before the start of the effective date (1/1/20) it's going to be a cold December for a large quantity of drivers. They will deactivate drivers who have a history of low AR, and fall below their threshold of star rating, CR, etc.etc.. They will do this just prior to the effective date so the drivers won't get to collect unemployment benefits.

The new motto at Uber HQ is going to be "Not Uber Pro.....Gotta Go"!

To those that think they can't do that because they need the drivers, history has shown they have no problem signing up (or now hiring) an endless supply of new ants who will conform. If you are a Cali driver, you better make sure between now and December you hit Uber Pro Status!

Last edited:

mch

Whats this mean for the ride share drivers in the rest of the country?
Unless Uber and Lyft drastically change their buisness model in CA to make the drivers there true ICs it means the rest of us across the country will probably get rate cuts to pay for it

Ssgcraig

In the 30 days before the start of the effective date (1/1/20) it's going to be a cold December for a large quantity of drivers. They will deactivate drivers who have a history of low AR, and fall below their threshold of star rating, CR, etc.etc.. They will do this just prior to the effective date so the drivers won't get to collect unemployment benefits.

To those that think they can't do that because they need the drivers, history has shown they have no problem signing up (or now hiring) and endless supply of new ants who will conform. If you are a Cali driver, you better make sure between now and December you hit Uber Pro Status!
Yup, I would start making plan B if you are one who has low AR, star and cancellation rates. If you are one to call the pax to find out destination, shuffle people because you just don't want to drive. Maybe this will weed out all the shit heads you drive in CA? Who knows.

itsablackmarket

Unless Uber and Lyft drastically change their buisness model in CA to make the drivers there true ICs it means the rest of us across the country will probably get rate cuts to pay for it
And that will just put more pressure on states to pass similar bills quicker.

njn

fun fact, overtime in cali is anything over 8 hours in a day.

fun fact #2, min wage is the same for tipped and non-tipped employees.

Seamus

They can't cut driver rates much more. More likely, just like in NYC when the new driver rates went into effect new pax rates went into effect. Pax Uber and Lyft rates in NYC are much higher than in the surrounding areas. Taxis love it because in Manhattan the difference between paying for a Taxi vs an U/L aren't as much as they used to be. In cities pax will pay the higher rate because they don't have much of an alternative other than mass transit. In more suburban or rural areas demand will drop as pax price increases. The drunk shift demand will probably be mainly un-affected because they were already used to paying surge prices.

To those that think they can't do that because they need the drivers, history has shown they have no problem signing up (or now hiring) an endless supply of new ants who will conform. If you are a Cali driver, you better make sure between now and December you hit Uber Pro Status!
Yup!!! That’s pretty much what I said. And yet people call me ignorant

mch

They can't cut driver rates much more. More likely, just like in NYC when the new driver rates went into effect new pax rates went into effect. Pax Uber and Lyft rates in NYC are much higher than in the surrounding areas. Taxis love it because in Manhattan the difference between paying for a Taxi vs an U/L aren't as much as they used to be. In cities pax will pay the higher rate because they don't have much of an alternative other than mass transit. In more suburban or rural areas demand will drop as pax price increases. The drunk shift demand will probably still be there.
I dont know man. In SE PA/Philly where I drive it's .69 a mile. Across the bridge in Jersey its .66. I guaruntee you the majority of the ants in this area wont just up and stop driving if they reduced both markets to say .50

Even if Im wrong, decreased demand means less $$$ so it may as well be lower rates