AB5 gives Cali drivers opportunity

driverdoug

Vote No on 22. Once employees you can form a union and negotiate a contract that benefits drivers. Uber and Lyft are evil. Drivers need to stand strong.

Once you have a union you are in with other unions and government types. It will be a middle class job where you have the possibility of having a family, buying a house and having a retirement.

NicFit

Go do yourself a favor and look at your local ads for drivers, you won’t be affording houses and AB5 doesn’t give you retirement. What the point of a union? You really think a union will magically make you rich or something? Most unions do nothing but take money so they can push their agendas on a company so they can seem like they are doing something. Do your research on what an employee driver makes and then compare it to what a rideshare driver makes now, your naive to think rideshare is a middle class job after they make you an employee

driverdoug

I’m speaking from my own experience as a union worker and what I’ve seen in the taxi industry as an owner and a driver. I managed to do those things I mentioned and there is no reason it can’t happen for drivers in California. AB5 is a big leg up. The key is forming a union and integrate with the power structure.
I don’t want to get into the whole union thing. Just realize it provides a future for drivers which basically doesn’t exist now or under the Prop22 scenario. You’ve been given a gift by the state and so many are making like they got f**ked.

driverdoug

What can I say “you can’t fit 10 pounds of rice in a 5 pound bag”. What you are saying may be true but Prop22 looks like real crap. Better than nothing? Maybe but very sad.

A union will be able to negotiate a contract that covers all terms of employment. Then you really have something. It’s not easy but at least it provides more dignity.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I agree. PROP-22 is crap. Even if AB5 would end my ride-share 'career' as a part time driver, I'd never put PROP-22 or anything that any of these gig companies advocate through as an option. It's been shown time and time again, they are not interested in driver well-being, Drivers are merely an annoying stop-gap until they can automate the platforms with self-driving vehicles. Even if Self Driving Cars take another 10 years to be ubiquitous, UBER is going to continually devalue/squeeze Drivers for that decade.

NicFit

I’m speaking from my own experience as a union worker and what I’ve seen in the taxi industry as an owner and a driver. I managed to do those things I mentioned and there is no reason it can’t happen for drivers in California. AB5 is a big leg up. The key is forming a union and integrate with the power structure.
I don’t want to get into the whole union thing. Just realize it provides a future for drivers which basically doesn’t exist now or under the Prop22 scenario. You’ve been given a gift by the state and so many are making like they got f**ked.
You mentioned taxi drivers, they aren’t employees, they are owners, your already contradicting your own statements trying to compare taxi drivers with rideshare. AB5 will make rideshare a crappy low paying job that people do instead of flipping burgers. Unions are a joke, I don’t want my money going to them, all unions do is make sure everyone gets treated like crap equally

Oscar Levant

Vote No on 22. Once employees you can form a union and negotiate a contract that benefits drivers. Uber and Lyft are evil. Drivers need to stand strong.

Once you have a union you are in with other unions and government types. It will be a middle class job where you have the possibility of having a family, buying a house and having a retirement.

Why can't IC's have a 'union'? isn't there a legislative workaround that would allow for it?
Post automatically merged:

You mentioned taxi drivers, they aren’t employees, they are owners, your already contradicting your own statements trying to compare taxi drivers with rideshare. AB5 will make rideshare a crappy low paying job that people do instead of flipping burgers. Unions are a joke, I don’t want my money going to them, all unions do is make sure everyone gets treated like crap equally

I used to be a swamper for a moving company. The non union shops paid $3 an hour, and the union shops paid $6, this was in 1972 when $6 was three times minimum in L.A. the dues were few bucks each week and I got $120 more than I would have without the union. So, on that experience, i must disagree. All the big names were union, Bekins, etc. The small operators weren't.

Jst1dreamr

I am a retired union worker and I can tell you that unionizing is not the way to go. @NicFit is correct about "Most unions do nothing but take money so they can push their agendas on a company so they can seem like they are doing something. It is true that you might one day be paid more but most of that would be paid to the union in dues. The unions are nothing more than a big business thriving off your hard work. The most likely union to take on ride share is the SEIU and ask a hotel housekeeper what it has done for her. She likely works two or three jobs to make ends meet but she would be out on the street if she didn't at least pay her union dues in stead of her rent.

Why can't IC's have a 'union'? isn't there a legislative workaround that would allow for it?
No there isn't a way around it because the unions pay hundred of millions of dollars every election to buy the protections of law makers.

NicFit

I used to be a swamper for a moving company. The non union shops paid $3 an hour, and the union shops paid $6, this was in 1972 when $6 was three times minimum in L.A. the dues were few bucks each week and I got $120 more than I would have without the union. So, on that experience, i must disagree. All the big names were union, Bekins, etc. The small operators weren't.
Probably the last time unions were effective was 1972, now they don’t make much difference since tons of laws have been passed so unions are just another layer of paperwork, fact is right now Uber collects 25% and you get 75% of a fare, what better deal could a union make? You can’t raise driver pay without raising passenger costs, that means less riders, which will mean less pay. Want to be paid hourly? You can kiss those surges goodbye as you won’t get the 25/75 split, Uber will charge what they want and you’ll get you minimum wage, you think unions will help you get more money? Fast food is free to form unions but you think they will get more money from it? Nope. Pipe dreams is all this union nonsense is, there isn’t a union formed yet and when do you think that’ll happen? Uber won’t form a union, you think that the 20-30% of drivers they hire will make one the second they get hired? Probably take years for a union to be form if ever

TomTheAnt

Most unions do nothing but take money so they can push their agendas on a company so they can seem like they are doing something.

So freaking spot on!!!

For the past 20+ years my wife has had to belong to a union so she can work (flight attendant) and monthly union due debit confirmation is pretty much the only thing she has ever gotten from them. Yeah, they've negotiated contracts with the airline, but while the pay may have increased slightly most of the time, pretty much any and all other benefits have not. Any time she has had an issue where she has needed something from the union, you can bet your ass the only thing she has gotten is the runaround. Nothing but @@@@ing politics in that @@@@ing outfit. :mad:

I'm actually really surprised they're not demanding her to pay dues now that she, along with thousand of others, got furloughed at the beginning of the month. And where was the almighty union in all these furlough talks? Nowhere to be found and walked over by the company. Gee, thanks! The union will be in for a rude awakening when all that's left are the ones with 30/40/50 years of seniority and they start @@@@@ing that they actually have to WORK more than a couple of days a month now that the company had to furlough all the ones with less seniority. LOL! :roflmao:

Selector19

Middle class job? :roflmao: Go to school in order to have that silly:laugh:

AB5 might give Cali drivers opportunity, but, it will be to only 20-30% of the drivers.
The remaining 70-80% will have no jobs/gigs, as Uber will cut them out.
Yep, and the best of the best ants will constitute that 20-30%, the best of the best who will be willing to ant their asses off for a minimum wage, discounted health insurance, and a couple of weeks of minimum wage paid vacation. And all of that will only be passible if Uber and Lyft won't leave California. Who really want them to leave right now are fleet operators and not drivers. That's why you guys see more and more posts of those trolls who say "Vote No on 22"...

Last edited:

Mash Ghasem

Middle class job? :roflmao: Go to school in order to have that silly:laugh:

... the best of the best who will be willing to ant their asses off for a minimum wage, discounted health insurance, and a couple of weeks of minimum wage paid vacation.

Contrast that to those who today keep posting screenshots to boasting of their large daily earnings.
Gone will be those days.

driverdoug

Well however it goes-I wish you guys the best. I hope you think hard before you fall into the Prop22 trap.

BTW. I think it’s ridiculous that very wealthy companies can write their own labor laws in this manner. I could see only drivers voting, but why does everyone in the state get to say what your job should be?

If Prop22 passes you might see other companies go the IC route and try to further cut standards and wages For their workers.

dnlbaboof

dont worry if prop 22 fails, you can turn on doordash/uber/lyft and postmates reject every request and get 48 bucks an hour watching TV! The no on 22 crowd says you'll have the same flexibility and the app wont change!

Fusion_LUser

Well however it goes-I wish you guys the best. I hope you think hard before you fall into the Prop22 trap.

BTW. I think it’s ridiculous that very wealthy companies can write their own labor laws in this manner. I could see only drivers voting, but why does everyone in the state get to say what your job should be?

If Prop22 passes you might see other companies go the IC route and try to further cut standards and wages For their workers.

Prop 22 only covers rideshare and delivery gigs. It does nothing to address all the other independent contractors (writers, musicians, tutors) who are currently getting screwed by AB5. If other companies wanted to go that route they would have done so already.

Nobody believes a Wal*Mart drone or McDonald's burger flipper can be an IC.

Nats121

Nobody believes a Wal*Mart drone or McDonald's burger flipper can be an IC.
No? Well I don't believe rideshare drivers are ICs.

There should be no "cutouts" or exceptions to AB5. If a musician, writer, tutor, software writer, etc. doesn't pass the ABC test they should be classified as employees.

dont worry if prop 22 fails, you can turn on doordash/uber/lyft and postmates reject every request and get 48 bucks an hour watching TV! The no on 22 crowd says you'll have the same flexibility and the app wont change!
A lame attempt on your part to misrepresent the position of the AB5 supporters.

Fusion_LUser

There should be no "cutouts" or exceptions to AB5. If a musician, writer, tutor, software writer, etc. doesn't pass the ABC test they should be classified as employees.

Oh but there are plenty of exemptions. Matter of fact Newscum signed AB2257 on September 8, 2020 with at least 19 new exemptions and while rideshare and delivery gig workers are considered employees, doctors, lawyers, real estate agents and hairstylists are not considered employees. So like everything else in CA politics and arbitrary stupidness are always the prevailing rule of law.

So much for the no "cutouts" huh?