AAA

observer

Why would you need a towing truck 4 times a year? That means you need to change your vehicle.
I think in my area its been changed to four service calls and not tows.

I had a problem with my Prius where the alarm stopped working and the door locks would just shut and needed a couple battery jumps as well.

Turns out the accessory battery was bad causing the alarm to close the locks. Used up all my service calls for the year in three weeks.

UberBastid

Why would you need a towing truck 4 times a year? That means you need to change your vehicle.
Well, hopefully you don't.
But, that's insurance, right?
Have it, pay for it - hope you don't need it?

But, I did get a letter from AAA once that I'd hit my limit.
A bad luck year.
Alternator in wifey's truck went out, then a month later I left the lights on and needed a jump, then riding as a passenger in a friends car and he locked his keys in, then ... I got a warning letter. Glad I had it though.

Older Chauffeur

More accurately, they offer insurance and memberships. You don’t need to have AAA insurance to be a AAA member (and vice versa).
A membership is required to apply for AAA insurance, but you can be a member and not buy their insurance.

Maybe region by region because @May H. is in California and I know TNC and other vehicle for hire was expressly forbidden in my AAA coverage.
Right, Automobile Club of So. California won’t cover any commercial or for hire use of a vehicle. Apparently Cal State AAA (Northern California Club) now has a TNC endorsement, according to their website.

Unleaded

As you drive along the highways and byways of America, you will notice both new and used cars (even exotics) parked on the side of the road with their flashers on, possibly waiting for a tow. It may be the first time or the 4th time, but AAA coverage on any car us certainly a blessing. Waiting for an AAA tow truck or service vehicle means that help us on the way.

observer

One time I was driving back from TJ and the checkpoint near San Clemente was opened. Just as I pulled up to the BP officer my car shut off.

Right smack in front of him.

After seeing I couldn't turn the car on he called over three other officers and between the four pushed me to the side. :smiles:

I called AAA and in about 20 minutes they had a flatbed out there with seating for four pax. When I got home I asked how much it would have normally cost, it came out to 325 bux.

Two years worth of AAA Premier membership.

Turned out some electronic component went out and that caused my car to shut down.

LADryver

Does anyone here use AAA and/or have experience with them? Do they cover rideshare?

Towing through my insurance policy is only 15 miles, and often times I'm much further away than that. Towing can be expensive. $200-$300 or more for a 40+ mile tow.

I'm looking at AAA memberships right now. $100/year for mid-level, which if I could pay monthly means like $8/mo. Offers 4 free 100 mile tows per year.

If not AAA how do you handle things if you have a breakdown and need a tow? Are there other options for "towing insurance"?
You have to be a member in order to upgrade.

Seamus

Highly recommend AAA. I have 7 cars and a family of 7, some away at college. AAA means they are all able to get help if they are stuck and dad isn't close by. Use it for a tow and it more than makes it worth it. You can bet with a family my size and the amount of cars we own I have had to have cars towed!

Does anyone here use AAA and/or have experience with them? Do they cover rideshare?

Towing through my insurance policy is only 15 miles, and often times I'm much further away than that. Towing can be expensive. $200-$300 or more for a 40+ mile tow.

I'm looking at AAA memberships right now. $100/year for mid-level, which if I could pay monthly means like $8/mo. Offers 4 free 100 mile tows per year.

If not AAA how do you handle things if you have a breakdown and need a tow? Are there other options for "towing insurance"?
Get AAA plus, it’s only a few dollars more then basic. It usually covers 100 mile towing. It’s an excellent service to have and doing rideshare doesn’t matter.

Older Chauffeur

You have to be a member in order to upgrade.
Yes, member for 90 days with no service calls. The Premier 200 mile towing is limited to one per household per membership year, after that the 100 mile limit applies. Basic membership covers 7 miles towing, you pay for any additional miles. Four free service calls per card per year.

MyJessicaLS430

Hi OP!

I am insured with AAA almost since the day of receiving my DL in the US. Are you asking for the insurance or road side assistance?

Please note that the insurance policy itself does not include any roadside assistance. This is what the membership is for. There are 3 different levels of membership, namely classic, plus and premier. As a 'plus' member, I am entitled to up to 4 times of 100-mile tow each year. The premier membership does not make much sense since the 200-mile tow only applies to the first call, meaning that all subsequent tows will be limited to 100 miles. The cost of my current membership is $90/mo and it renews itself. You may want to check with the website since the benefits and cost of membership may vary with states. You will be asked to input a zip code such that the site will provide you the most relevant information. Anyway, it is fair to assume that a 100-mile tow should be sufficient for most people.

You can have a membership without getting insured through AAA. I would say it simply gives you a piece of mind if the unfortunate happens. I have been over-paying autoinsurance since my first day of driving and hence, I did not bother to ask about RS coverage. As for the membership experience, I would give it a 10 out of 10 score. One time I could not start up my car at a Kroger's parking lot. Help arrived in half an hour and the technician helped to install a new battery. It was a little expensive ($140 approx) that comes with a year of warranty but it certainly has saved me the time getting the car towed to my dealer just for battery replacement. Another time when the membership became helpful is one of the tyres deflated for unknown reasons. Help this time, took a little bit longer, but certainly within 40 minutes to get the spare tyre in the trunk installed. I was very lucky at that time. My dealer put another new tyre back to the trunk at no additional cost since it was within the warranty period. I have also tipped the person who drove all the way to help in both occasions $10.

Until now, none of my cars have never left me stranded and hopefully they never will. Although I am extremely thankful for their reliability, it does not harm to pay $90 for the membership; given that a tow could cost hundreds.

Last edited:

UberBastid

Until now, none of my cars have never left me stranded and hopefully they never will.
I've owned real estate for fifty years.
I never had a house burn down, yet I kept making those insurance premiums.
Then one day ... my house burned down.
And the insurance company gave me back all my premiums, and then some.

We have it . Towing 5 miles is free. Above that you pay .

LyftUberFuwabolewa

The basic package with AAA will get somebody to come if you have a flat tire or need a jump. But the basic package only covers 5 miles of towing.

Also in my market there are certain parkways and turnpikes where AAA is not allowed to operate so you still need another tow company if you break down there.

I had a rider who told me that he broke down on one of those roadways where AAA can't operate, so he paid a different company to tow him just as far as the next exit, and then he went AAA from there.

KK2929

--------------------------
Been a member for over 30 years. The membership is on you - not your car, meaning if you are with a friend in their car and it breaks down, you can call for a tow .

I have the AAA, plus. Miles towed is increased and it is not that much more per year. Plus, you will get help sooner - within 45 minutes, I believe.
I have never had a problem and they have been there for me many times.

The yearly fee is deductible on your taxes as an expense. AAA covers you or any car you are riding in or driving , so, yes, they will cover Ride Share.

For the cheapest membership, I believe it is free 7 miles and 4 tows per year. The AAA, plus is considerably more - 100 miles, I believe.

You also get free unlimited road maps and other discounts for motels, etc. They will even route a trip for you if needed. They also have certain services for DMV work -- vehicle title changes for example.

They , also, offer vehicle insurance

Last edited:

observer

--------------------------
Been a member for over 30 years. The membership is on you - not your car, meaning if you are with a friend in their car and it breaks down, you can call for a tow .

I have the AAA, plus. Miles towed is increased and it is not that much more per year. Plus, you will get help sooner - within 45 minutes, I believe.
I have never had a problem and they have been there for me many times.

The yearly fee is deductible on your taxes as an expense. AAA covers you or any car you are riding in or driving , so, yes, they will cover Ride Share.

For the cheapest membership, I believe it is free 7 miles and 4 tows per year. The AAA, plus is considerably more - 100 miles, I believe.

You also get free unlimited road maps and other discounts for motels, etc. They will even route a trip for you if needed. They also have certain services for DMV work -- vehicle title changes for example.

They , also, offer vehicle insurance
I forgot about the DMV services.

Sometimes I could drive there get my stickers and drive back to work on my half hour lunch break.

Disgusted Driver

I've owned real estate for fifty years.
I never had a house burn down, yet I kept making those insurance premiums.
Then one day ... my house burned down.
And the insurance company gave me back all my premiums, and then some.
I hear that! I had a house fire that easily cost my insurance company 250k. That's a couple of hundred years of premiums.

Older Chauffeur

60 year member here, and I wouldn’t be without it. Joined when I got my first car. A few years later I took a sales rep
position with them, selling memberships and insurance. Did it for six months and decided I didn’t like selling. I have my cars and house with them to this day.