A week as a passenger

Uber-licious

I spent the last week as a passenger due to car issues and ultimately the new car search. Boy, did that feel weird.

I was very surprised how crappy uber can be. Things I observed were:

1. Lack of navigation skills even with the GPS.
2. Poor quality of the cars and lack of cleanliness.
3. Two drivers who didn't use A/C. Even if I'm not using it, I'll always ask if they would like it on.
4. Very poor communication skills, especially the one TLC I had. I wanted to 1 star him just for being in NJ.

I'm not talking lack of extras like a phone charger, but very basic things I just assumed were core to driving. Btw, not one ride had a charger.

I can now see how easy it can be to get less than a 5 rating and no tip. I did tip every one of them though except the NY guy

Chi Bones

When I started my limo biz in 2009, every rider had a horror story about a taxi ride - including a woman who told me her taxi driver had pulled over on the Turnpike onto the shoulder OF THE PASSING LANE, to urinate on the concrete divider.

Now when I pick up a rider, everyone has a horror story about an Uber ride. The new CEO - Dara - has a tremendous challenge to solve the human side of the Uber experience. With the big tech companies - Expedia, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, & Apple, there is virtually no interface with company workers. With Uber, the human part of the transaction is the most important part.

This is why Travis was so keen to quickly develop self-driving cars - to eliminate the human part of car service. In doing so, he destroyed any Goodwill he had initially created with drivers. Add an unending stream of Uber actions that devalue and defraud drivers and you have the situation you have now.

There is a pervasive cynicism towards Uber by drivers (mostly well deserved) and an extremely high level of passive aggressive behavior where drivers deliberately provide poor service, try to game the system, and hurt themselves as a way to "get even" with Uber.

Fubernuber

When I started my limo biz in 2009, every rider had a horror story about a taxi ride - including a woman who told me her taxi driver had pulled over on the Turnpike onto the shoulder OF THE PASSING LANE, to urinate on the concrete divider.

Now when I pick up a rider, everyone has a horror story about an Uber ride. The new CEO - Dara - has a tremendous challenge to solve the human side of the Uber experience. With the big tech companies - Expedia, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, & Apple, there is virtually no interface with company workers. With Uber, the human part of the transaction is the most important part.

This is why Travis was so keen to quickly develop self-driving cars - to eliminate the human part of car service. In doing so, he destroyed any Goodwill he had initially created with drivers. Add an unending stream of Uber actions that devalue and defraud drivers and you have the situation you have now.

There is a pervasive cynicism towards Uber by drivers (mostly well deserved) and an extremely high level of passive aggressive behavior where drivers deliberately provide poor service, try to game the system, and hurt themselves as a way to "get even" with Uber.
Another wordsmith here who got it 100% right.

pvtandrewmalone

The whole business model of not telling the drivers the destination beforehand lends itself to this.

I spent the last week as a passenger due to car issues and ultimately the new car search. Boy, did that feel weird.

3. Two drivers who didn't use A/C. Even if I'm not using it, I'll always ask if they would like it on.
4. Very poor communication skills, especially the one TLC I had. I wanted to 1 star him just for being in NJ.

I'm not talking lack of extras like a phone charger, but very basic things I just assumed were core to driving. Btw, not one ride had a charger.

I can now see how easy it can be to get less than a 5 rating and no tip. I did tip every one of them though except the NY guy
Do you realize how much Apple charges for their ph one chargers? @@@@ that.. I would rather have a one star rating..

If you "expect" me to have an iPhone charger.. then I know you aren't going to tip. Do u even realize how many different chargers there are out there? My last 3 Samsung Galaxy's all have different cables. And how many lightning cables are there? What about other phones, even a basic phone? We are not Best Buy.

I've been in the service industry for a long time. People are still people, and I treat them as best as I could unless they start off being really really rude.. like this one guy that yelled at me for passing him (while I was dropping off my previous pax.. I didn't even know I passed him cause I didn't even have his pick up location yet), and he got in my car, banged his luggage around while trying to get it in my back seat (causing scratches and small dents in my interior door panel), and he continued to yell at me and tell me that HE will tell me where to go, (EWR), because I "obviously don't know where I'm going, even with my GPS".. complete ass. Not my fault he was running late and he had only 25 minutes till his fliight took off.

Anyway, point being, we work for tips now. Even when pax couldn't tip on the app.. I always tried to be nice.. Not only for the tip, but for lack of a happier life. Your happiness and friendliness gets rubbed off on them (and hopefully) they will them return the same aura, even to otyhers they run into after you drop them off. I mean, when you meet a stranger.. do u try to be rude on purpose or just try to be a nice person generally??

Just being nice, in my opinion, is good service. Well, that, and just doing your job efficiently and correctly. For $3.71 on most rides, (before expenses like gas, tolls, and taxes) that's GREAT service.

If I was getting $15 for most rides and that was the minimum.. u better believe In would have an iph one charger. And maybe some of your favorite candy.. maybe even champagne:wink:

Call a limo service or black car if you want that great service. Do people really expect the same service for 1/4, or even much much less the price??

What kind of service do you get on a bus ride??...
None. Hmm and that's even cheaper.

Uber-licious

Do you realize how much Apple charges for their ph one chargers? @@@@ that.. I would rather have a one star rating..

If you "expect" me to have an iPhone charger.. then I know you aren't going to tip. Do u even realize how many different chargers there are out there? My last 3 Samsung Galaxy's all have different cables. And how many lightning cables are there? What about other phones, even a basic phone? We are not Best Buy.

I've been in the service industry for a long time. People are still people, and I treat them as best as I could unless they start off being really really rude.. like this one guy that yelled at me for passing him (while I was dropping off my previous pax.. I didn't even know I passed him cause I didn't even have his pick up location yet), and he got in my car, banged his luggage around while trying to get it in my back seat (causing scratches and small dents in my interior door panel), and he continued to yell at me and tell me that HE will tell me where to go, (EWR), because I "obviously don't know where I'm going, even with my GPS".. complete ass. Not my fault he was running late and he had only 25 minutes till his fliight took off.

Anyway, point being, we work for tips now. Even when pax couldn't tip on the app.. I always tried to be nice.. Not only for the tip, but for lack of a happier life. Your happiness and friendliness gets rubbed off on them (and hopefully) they will them return the same aura, even to otyhers they run into after you drop them off. I mean, when you meet a stranger.. do u try to be rude on purpose or just try to be a nice person generally??

Just being nice, in my opinion, is good service. Well, that, and just doing your job efficiently and correctly. For $3.71 on most rides, (before expenses like gas, tolls, and taxes) that's GREAT service.

If I was getting $15 for most rides and that was the minimum.. u better believe In would have an iph one charger. And maybe some of your favorite candy.. maybe even champagne:wink:

Call a limo service or black car if you want that great service. Do people really expect the same service for 1/4, or even much much less the price??

Re: the phone charger, yeah it's $9.85. Well worth it

Multi Charging Cable,2 Pack IVVO 4 in 1 Multiple USB Cable Charger Adapter Connector... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TT4Q4D/?tag=ubne0c-20

Re: the phone charger, yeah it's $9.85. Well worth it

Multi Charging Cable,2 Pack IVVO 4 in 1 Multiple USB Cable Charger Adapter Connector... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TT4Q4D/?tag=ubne0c-20
Ok. I was just trying to make a point. I actually have a little bit of a hard time believing it will work, at least for iPhones, for a good stretch of time.. since Apple is always like "Apple is only compatible with Apple products" .. THE main reason I am not an apple fan.

But thanks for the link.. smart ass..lol. it's actually good to know that's available. It would be worth buying at $10, if it works. Do u have one? If so, has it been working for awhile? FYI, it doesn't have the Galaxy s5, USB3 connector... although u "can.. but shouldn't" use the micro.

Now, if I had to buy an apple charger.. f*ck that! Or "lightning cable..
But wait.. do all iPhone use the same lightning cable connect? I thought they were different, depending on what iPhone u have?

IMO..all cell phones really should just all have the same cable.. which shhould be the fastest available when the phone is released.. (which I believe is the type c right now, but I could be wrong).

Dave609

well if you got me you would of been happy,i keep a clean good smelling car and always run my ac when it's humid even with these stupid high gas prices

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Do you realize how much Apple charges for their ph one chargers? &%[email protected]!* that.. I would rather have a one star rating..

This is why I roll my eyes at your "woe is me" thread. The problem you just described is solved for less than $25 bucks. For both Samsung AND Apple phones altogether. But you rather complain instead of proactively solving the problem.

You work in a customer service business. Adapt, or leave.

SuzeCB

Do you realize how much Apple charges for their ph one chargers? &%[email protected]!* that.. I would rather have a one star rating..

You didn't actually transport that Jo that was going to EWR, did you?

Hans GrUber

Which is why I never understood uber not encouraging tipping. The human element. You are going to continually cut fares and piss off your work force, then not give them incentive to provide a quality experience for your customers, then have these pissed off people be the ambassadors of your brand? Dumb.

Ardery

there's 4 charger wires that covers 99% of all mobile phones.

Micro USB
USB 3.0
USB-C
and iPhone lightning cable.
there aren't different iPhone lightning cables. there's ONE type of lightning cable.
(nobody uses the old wide iPhone cable anymore)

FOUR cables. THAT'S IT.
FOUR. F-O-U-R

I bought the iPhone lightning cable and a USB-C cable on ebay for 6 bucks each.

the other 2 I had a drawer full of extra ones from my old phones.

basic phones use micro USB cables.

I went to micro center and bought a 10,000 mAh portable battery bank. so the cables plug into it and I don't gotta bother fidgeting with my car plug ins. this was $25 bucks.

ya don't gotta offer water or candy. but if you're not equipped with phone charger wires for passengers, you're the biggest cheapskate EVER.

Last edited:

Ardery

I ask my passengers "does anybody need a charge for their phone?"

they end up appreciating it. that betters my chance at a 5 score and a tip.

you do it your way... being angry and bitter

I'll do it my way, being friendly and inviting.

if I don't get a tip, that's the risk we all take.

I'm not going to be angry and evil - handing out 1 stars to all their passengers like other people.

Last edited:

LEO2112

While I don't supply cords, I do notice most pax greatly appreciate it when I tell them there is a usb port behind my center console that they can use to charge up. Most already have their own cords. The ones who don't are usually drunk pax or teens. I also love it that most have an iphone so they seem to understand when I tell them I would love to lend them my cord but I only have cords for the latest samsung galaxy...:biggrin:

Ardery

I got 4 different types of cables so im equipped for all phones.

iPhone,

micro USB,

USB 3.0 for the Samsung
Galaxy S5

and USB-C for a lot of the newer phones.

they end up impressed.

driverx.nj

Some of these PAX are amazing, you pick them up from HOME and they need a charging cable. DUH?

They need an AUX cord. NOPE!!

They need to know how long is this ride going to take. Check it on your own DAMN Phone. DUH!!

Why did you go this way, I always go that way. SMH!

Not complaining, Just Saying. :biggrin: