A Simple Solution (UberPOOL & LyftLINE)

GR8driverATL

Many passengers favor the discounted fares available through UberPool and LyftLINE, and who can blame them? Securing full service at a fraction of the price makes perfect sense, right? Many drivers however, view these products with considerable disdain, some to the point of refusing to accept such trip requests. From the driver’s perspective, the flaw in these ridesharing options occurs when a thrifty passenger selects Pool or Line and no additional riders are matched along the way, resulting in reduced pay for what is effectively a full-fare service. Moreover, in the event drivers are fortunate enough to secure an additional passenger(s) during the course of the trip, many must often endure the unwarranted, discourteous belly aching of the initial passenger(s) who really weren’t interested in sharing the ride with additional customers, just paying less. Drivers have a legitimate grievance, and it’s not motivated by greed, as the uninformed might suggest. An unmatched UberPool or LyftLINE trip, that is to say, a trip in which the customer selects the discounted option but is transported to the destination without additional riders joining, costs the driver the same expense of time, fuel, maintenance, taxes, depreciation and risk as a regular fare of the same distance. Lyft and Uber don’t reduce their commission on these products, of course–They still take their 25%. Simply put, regardless of the insultingly misleading ‘more rides equals more money’ mantra espoused by both companies, each unmatched Pool or Line ride inhibits the driver’s ability to earn a living.

There’s a simple solution, however. All that’s necessary is to modify both UberPool and LyftLINE so that when a customer selects the sharing option but no additional passengers add on along the way, the customer pays the regular rate. Simple. Fair.

Drive Smarter.

GR8driverATL

disp350

Do you talk to your riders? 75% of these riders who selected Pool/Line used Pool or Line cause it's selected first and have no idea it is a shared ride since neither platform provides a warning or explanation that they can possibly be paired with another rider

Last edited:

circle1

There’s a simple solution, however. All that’s necessary is to modify both UberPool and LyftLINE so that when a customer selects the sharing option but no additional passengers add on along the way, the customer pays the regular rate. Simple. Fair.
That's just for starters!

DRider85

Agree so much... these companies should fix their flaws. I'm disheartened. Good thing I don't plan on doing this forever. So disheartening.

CrazyFemaleDriver

More importantly - when Pool IS matched with a second or third rider, the driver gets NOTHING more than any add'l mile/minute fare. ie: If a driver picks up 3 separate Pool fares at the exact same location and drops them at the exact same location, Uber collects 3 separate Pool fares, but the driver is paid just the mile/minute which is the same for all 3 separate fares as just the 1st fare. The dricer ends up doing 3 trips (so to speak) for 1 price!

So ADD incentive to pick up add'l riders...say $2 per Pool pick-up. Otherwise, unless there is a lot of extra distance traveled for extra pax (& there won't be b/c the whole idea of Pool is the add'l pax are "en route"), it's not worth it to the driver. Drivers are better off ending that Pool trip asap & getting a fresh new trip.

Wardell Curry

I get the same pay for pool that we do for x. The pax pays 25% less and Uber takes the additional amount out of their cut. And I always stop additional requests after the first pickup because there is where you lose money. The additional income you receive picking up a second pax isnt worth the time spent driving to them and waiting for them, more often than not.

disp350

I get the same pay for pool that we do for x. The pax pays 25% less and Uber takes the additional amount out of their cut. And I always stop additional requests after the first pickup because there is where you lose money. The additional income you receive picking up a second pax isnt worth the time spent driving to them and waiting for them, more often than not.
Yep - agree with that. As soon as I accept a pool request, the app gets set for no more requests. I will no longer accept Lyft Line requests in and around CC or PHL as you always get hammered with a second request. Unless someone know how to avoid getting them. Unlike Uber, setting Lyft to go off line does not stop additional Line requests until you are all finished.

SailingWithThe Breeze

I'm amazed at the misinformation that is often spread around here, especially when it comes to Lyft Line. Understanding your pay structure is pretty important, so for those of you that don't know what it is, I would brush up on the details and get a handle on the facts.

Lyft still pays the driver the regular rates during a Lyft Line, whether you only have one pax or four:
https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213582268-Lyft-Line-Driver-Pay

Mark Johnson

Also (and this may be Market-by-market), UberPool will pay X rates for an unmatched Pool ride.

For Vegas ... the rates are fairly close to each other
Must be market-by-market because I can confirm getting $2 for short Pool rides back when I used accept them here in Atlanta. But the minimum fare amount I get on UberX has always been $4.

Unmatched Pool rides here don't pay X rates. They pay around 40-50% of X rates.

Last edited:

I_Like_Spam

Notifying the passenger that they might be paying more is the key to this idea. Of course, this will also lead to complaints from passengers if the driver is offered, but fails to add additional passengers along the way, people will be asking for refunds.

yucklyftline

steveK2016

Yep - agree with that. As soon as I accept a pool request, the app gets set for no more requests. I will no longer accept Lyft Line requests in and around CC or PHL as you always get hammered with a second request. Unless someone know how to avoid getting them. Unlike Uber, setting Lyft to go off line does not stop additional Line requests until you are all finished.
And thus encouraging them to continue requesting Pool at the cheaper rates with no inconvenience of an additional pax.

Either don't accept Pool or make sure the pax gets the worst Pool experience they can. The more you get to stop using Pool, the better.

Doesn't bother me though, I'm opt out. :cool:

Reactions: Go4

Carbalbm

I'm amazed at the misinformation that is often spread around here, especially when it comes to Lyft Line. Understanding your pay structure is pretty important, so for those of you that don't know what it is, I would brush up on the details and get a handle on the facts.

Lyft still pays the driver the regular rates during a Lyft Line, whether you only have one pax or four:
https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213582268-Lyft-Line-Driver-Pay
This is not true in San Francisco:

Lyft
Base Fare $2.00
Cost Per Mile $1.15
Cost Per Minute $0.22

LyftLine
Base Fare $2.00
Cost Per Mile $1.10 (4.3% less)
Cost Per Minute $0.15 (31.8% less)

UubSaibot

Many passengers favor the discounted fares available through UberPool and LyftLINE, and who can blame them? Securing full service at a fraction of the price makes perfect sense, right? Many drivers however, view these products with considerable disdain, some to the point of refusing to accept such trip requests. From the driver’s perspective, the flaw in these ridesharing options occurs when a thrifty passenger selects Pool or Line and no additional riders are matched along the way, resulting in reduced pay for what is effectively a full-fare service. Moreover, in the event drivers are fortunate enough to secure an additional passenger(s) during the course of the trip, many must often endure the unwarranted, discourteous belly aching of the initial passenger(s) who really weren’t interested in sharing the ride with additional customers, just paying less. Drivers have a legitimate grievance, and it’s not motivated by greed, as the uninformed might suggest. An unmatched UberPool or LyftLINE trip, that is to say, a trip in which the customer selects the discounted option but is transported to the destination without additional riders joining, costs the driver the same expense of time, fuel, maintenance, taxes, depreciation and risk as a regular fare of the same distance. Lyft and Uber don’t reduce their commission on these products, of course–They still take their 25%. Simply put, regardless of the insultingly misleading ‘more rides equals more money’ mantra espoused by both companies, each unmatched Pool or Line ride inhibits the driver’s ability to earn a living.

Drive Smarter.

GR8driverATL
Or just don't accept them.

And thus encouraging them to continue requesting Pool at the cheaper rates with no inconvenience of an additional pax.

Either don't accept Pool or make sure the pax gets the worst Pool experience they can. The more you get to stop using Pool, the better.

Just don't accept them. I think after a driver reaches a certain amount of lifetime rides, they should be able to opt out. Right now we have to opt out by simply not accepting them. I don't accept UberPOOLs period. Even during a surge. They will be denied. There is nothing worse than picking up a pax that is super cheap and super dumb. A lot of those people are low life scum. Why deny other drivers who would gladly accept POOL trips? Don't even send me a damn ping. 30 UberPOOLs in a row, I will deny. Have to stay true, down with UberFOOL,
to hell with it.

disp350

Nah, I can't do that. Everyone gets a nice ride from me. You know my thinking - I won't blame Ubers faults on the passenger. And since I drive mostly outside of Phila Center City, I get a fair amount of 15 - 20 mile pool rides.

steveK2016

Nah, I can't do that. Everyone gets a nice ride from me. You know my thinking - I won't blame Ubers faults on the passenger. And since I drive mostly outside of Phila Center City, I get a fair amount of 15 - 20 mile pool rides.
So it's Uber's fault that the pax is cheap and will order Pool expecting an uninterrupted ride to their destination?
Or just don't accept them.

Just don't accept them. I think after a driver reaches a certain amount of lifetime rides, they should be able to opt out. Right now we have to opt out by simply not accepting them. I don't accept UberPOOLs period. Even during a surge. They will be denied. There is nothing worse than picking up a pax that is super cheap and super dumb. A lot of those people are low life scum. Why deny other drivers who would gladly accept POOL trips? Don't even send me a damn ping. 30 UberPOOLs in a row, I will deny. Have to stay true, down with UberFOOL,
to hell with it.
I'm literally opted out, no Pool request for this guy. And yes, before it's asked, it's opt out on my X/Select profile not just my Select profile.

UubSaibot

The thing is this..... there are WAAAAAAAYY more than enough drivers on the road. Most of whom will gladly accept UberPOOL. Drivers who don't want to accept UberPOOL should be able to opt out from receiving UberPOOLs.

Trust me, you will get that pax that are running late for work, don't want you to pickup other passengers, want you stop at the store real quick, 4 passengers getting in the car, extremely cheap, UberPOOL on a 2-3 block trip saving what $1.52 cents?

So it's Uber's fault that the pax is cheap and will order Pool expecting an uninterrupted ride to their destination?

I'm literally opted out, no Pool request for this guy. And yes, before it's asked, it's opt out on my X/Select profile not just my Select profile.
I don't have Select in my market. But I still won't pick up POOL rides.

We only have X, XL, LUX, and LUX SUV. Select would just be X. They will let you opt out of POOL of course if you drive on other platforms.