A sign of our commitment to reliability

Modern-Day-Slavery

They did the right thing in the end but it took significant pressure and complaints about the lack of compensation from drivers around the world. Uber make these payments reluctantly and until now denied any responsibility to the drivers who lost half a day of their time. The payouts that people are talking about are laughable. Between $5 and $90.

UberDriverAU

They did the right thing in the end but it took significant pressure and complaints about the lack of compensation from drivers around the world. Uber make these payments reluctantly and until now denied any responsibility to the drivers who lost half a day of their time. The payouts that people are talking about are laughable. Between $5 and $90.
It's better than nothing. Even if most drivers are correctly categorised as employees, many would be casual employees who don't have any guarantee of future work and aren't entitled to any compensation at times like this. They also weren't incurring costs driving people around, so perhaps it's not so laughable after all.

Modern-Day-Slavery

It's better than nothing. Even if most drivers are correctly categorised as employees, many would be casual employees who don't have any guarantee of future work and aren't entitled to any compensation at times like this. They also weren't incurring costs driving people around, so perhaps it's not so laughable after all.
A casual employee does get paid for at least 3 hours work if they were working and suddenly the shift is no longer available or if the employer cancels the work within a few hours notice.

UberDriverAU

A casual employee does get paid for at least 3 hours work if they were working and suddenly the shift is no longer available or if the employer cancels the work within a few hours notice.
That's true for hourly workers with a set roster. There's nothing to say that an employee must be paid on an hourly basis though, even though they typically are. Uber never calls anyone up and says "hey, we have a few hours of work available, wanna do a shift?"

If people want the flexibility of working when it suits them, they also need to accept that work won't be available every time they want it to be.

Modern-Day-Slavery

That's true for hourly workers with a set roster. There's nothing to say that an employee must be paid on an hourly basis though, even though they typically are. Uber never calls anyone up and says "hey, we have a few hours of work available, wanna do a shift?"

If people want the flexibility of working when it suits them, they also need to accept that work won't be available every time they want it to be.
You made the hypothesis that if we were casual worker we would have got nothing. I am saying that it's not true.

The Award requires a minimum payment of 3 hours for each start even if the shift is less.

Therefore if you were working as a casual at the time the app broke you would have been entitled to 3 hours pay.

UberDriverAU

You made the hypothesis that if we were casual worker we would have got nothing. I am saying that it's not true.

The Award requires a minimum payment of 3 hours for each start even if the shift is less.

Therefore if you were working as a casual at the time the app broke you would have been entitled to 3 hours pay.
Most of us are casual workers, that's a fact, not a hypothesis. Perhaps you meant casual employee? If we are correctly labelled as independent contractors, then there is zero doubt that we're not entitled to compensation. The award also states that the terms concerning arrangements for when work is performed can be varied, so it doesn't necessarily follow that you would be entitled to three hours pay if you did a single 30 minute job then logged off of your own free will. Such an expectation wouldn't be fair or reasonable.

djbindi

Yep I got around $28 for it - I experienced 2 outages that day - one just after a drop off - was painful.

Modern-Day-Slavery

Most of us are casual workers, that's a fact, not a hypothesis. Perhaps you meant casual employee? If we are correctly labelled as independent contractors, then there is zero doubt that we're not entitled to compensation. The award also states that the terms concerning arrangements for when work is performed can be varied, so it doesn't necessarily follow that you would be entitled to three hours pay if you did a single 30 minute job then logged off of your own free will. Such an expectation wouldn't be fair or reasonable.
Not saying we are casual employees, just drawing comparisons to what they would get in the same situation.

UberDriverAU

Not saying we are casual employees, just drawing comparisons to what they would get in the same situation.
I think you missed my point. The award allows for flexibility in working arrangements, so I'm not sure that a casual employee must always get paid on an hourly basis and for a minimum of 3 hours. This entitlement isn't part of the NES minimum entitlements so can be varied.