• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

A scary moment

Cableguynoe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Racist: a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

Still didn’t answer the question.
show me the racism?

WHO IN HERE HAS EVER BEEN ROBBED CAR JACKED OR SHOT AT BY A RANDOM MINORITY PERSON????
I have not. Because aside from this one time where i slipped up, I avoid the ghetto.

Juugman2208

You avoid the “ghetto” but don’t avoid driving where your likelihood of dying is way more prevalent then getting jumped by some minorities in hoodies

The racism is all over these threads people are congratulating you for making it out “safe” in a situation where NOTHING happened. The fear you all show is the racism. y’all scared of minorities because of predisposed thoughts and stories y’all saw in movies and television that’s RACISM

Old BUF Guy

“I avoid the ghetto” but I’m not racist tho lmao
If a driver refuses to take ANY black passengers (as an example), you could certainly argue that their behavior was racist, just as if a black college fraternity refused to admit ANY white students.

Now, if a driver refused to pick up ANY passengers from their local "ghetto" or "hood", does that make them a racist? I would argue that it does not. Why? Well, I know in my case in Buffalo, for example, that the vast majority of shootings, robberies, and other violence occurs in those areas. So, for me, that means that I will avoid picking up passengers in those areas simply as a decision to try to ensure my safety as much as possible while still earning money.

Or, are drivers who avoid those areas automatically racist in your opinion, no matter what the reason?

Moonrider

Juugman2208

So, for me, that means that I will avoid picking up passengers in those areas simply as a decision to try to ensure my safety as much as possible while still earning money.

Or, are drivers who avoid those areas automatically racist in your opinion, no matter what the reason?

There is nothing more dangerous for a Uber Driver than driving, not the “hood”. If you don’t pick up in certain areas because of the PEOPLE that live there then yes that makes you racist imo, you are stereotyping a person based on their zip code not them as a human being.

These are the same things police officers do every day. Unarmed black man gets shot, what to the police always say? “I feared for my life” The FEAR is the racism.

Old BUF Guy

There is nothing more dangerous for a Uber Driver than driving, not the “hood”. If you don’t pick up in certain areas because of the PEOPLE that live there then yes that makes you racist imo, you are stereotyping a person based on their zip code not them as a human being.

These are the same things police officers do every day. Unarmed black man gets shot, what to the police always say? “I feared for my life” The FEAR is the racism.
The beauty of America is that we are all entitled to our opinions.

The fact of the matter is that I avoid picking up in high crime areas regardless of who lives there. Are there good people who live there? Absolutely! Are there also bad people who live there? Yes, there are. And when you look at the much higher rates of violent crimes committed there as opposed to other neighborhoods, it is a no brainer to realize that if you value your own safety,- the best thing to do is to avoid those areas whenever possible.

You seem to want to make the argument the because the “hood” or other high crime areas are predominantly black occupied that drivers who avoid picking up there are therefore racist.

I, and many others disagree with you. For us, the primary concern is our own safety. Making decisions based on safety is not racism. You can argue that the net effect is racism, but it is not.

Consider these examples: would you stand outside in a hurricane? Do you go swimming in a rip tide? Do you drive with bald tires or bad brakes? Do you drink 10 day old opened milk that hasn’t been refrigerated? Would you ride a bicycle on an interstate highway? Would you walk toward or away from a raging forest fire? Would you walk alone late at night in a high crime neighborhood if you didn’t need to? And if you chose not to walk in a high crime neighborhood in that situation, does that make you a racist, or smart for putting your safety first?

Last edited:

Cableguynoe

The beauty of America is that we are all entitled to our opinions.

The fact of the matter is that I avoid picking up in high crime areas regardless of who lives there. Are there good people who live there? Absolutely! Are there also bad people who live there? Yes, there are. And when you look at the much higher rates of violent crimes committed there as opposed to other neighborhoods, it is a no brainer to realize that if you value your own safety,- the best thing to do is to avoid those areas whenever possible.

You seem to want to make the argument the because the “hood” or other high crime areas are predominantly black occupied that drivers who avoid picking up there are therefore racist.

I, and many others disagree with you. For us, the primary concern is our own safety. Making decisions based on safety is not racism. You can argue that the net effect is racism, but it is not.

Consider these examples: would you stand outside in a hurricane? Do you go swimming in a rip tide? Do you drive with bald tires or bad brakes? Do you drink 10 day old opened milk that hasn’t been refrigerated? Would you ride a bicycle on an interstate highway? Would you walk toward or away from a raging forest fire? Would you walk alone late at night in a high crime neighborhood if you didn’t need to? And if you chose not to walk in a high crime neighborhood in that situation, does that make you a racist, or smart for putting your safety first?
Very good post.
And add to that that this guy has no idea what race we are.
Am I racist if I avoid a high crime neighborhood where the majority is my own people?
Maybe I grew up in the area and now why I should avoid it?

This is just a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he’s talking about.

1.5xorbust

Very good post.
And add to that that this guy has no idea what race we are.
Am I racist if I avoid a high crime neighborhood where the majority is my own people?
Maybe I grew up in the area and now why I should avoid it?

This is just a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he’s talking about.
I can tell everyone’s race, sex and national origin by examining their avatar. Except for those who don’t have an avatar.

rickasmith98

I'll relate my worst pax story.

A snowy December Saturday afternoon. I get a ping around 2PM, and I take it. Turns out to be in the heart of the worst crime ridden neighborhood, the east side hood, on a dead end street. Normal name, something like "Mark". I get there and pull up to the address, and there is some 500+# ghetto rat sitting on the stoop. Being a noob at the time, I ask: Are you Mark? No response. Does Mark live here? Same. Do you know Mark? Same deal again. I think F it, I'm gone, and drive up the street to turn around and leave.

When I turn around, there is now a vehicle blocking the road in front of me. Now, a full blown hood rat comes out of the house with the 500# mute, and walks up the street toward me, and the car blocking my way. He is a young black male; ball cap on backwards; multiple face piercings; gold grill; multiple heavy gold chains; a puffy black coat; pants hanging below his azz; and wearing high tops. He walks up to the stopped car, and proceeds to do a drug deal right in front of me!

And then, he turns to me, points, and says: "You my Uber". F,F,F I'm thinking, and I still can't drive off because the car in front of me is blocking the narrow street, and not moving yet. Now, I travel with two ipack friends, nicknamed Rosie & Louise. I unsnap Louise as he heads toward me, and he climbs in behind me. F,F,F, I'm thinking to myself. He then tells me in Ebonics to "take him where gots to go...".

Being a noob, I start going. All of a sudden he screams out to STOP! I do, and now he invites his 500# porch buddy to join the ride. F,F,F I'm thinking! Now, I'm driving with my right hand on the wheel, and my left hand on Louise under my coat the entire way. I do not recognize where I'm headed. And then he screams out again for me to STOP! I'm thinking, WTF? And then he proceeds to do the 1st of 2 drug deals from the window of my car while seated right behind me!

As it turns out, we are headed to the second worst crime ridden neighborhood in Buffalo, - the lower west side. As the GPS directs me, we end up going down a one lane wide, one direction, trash filled alley between a bunch of run down houses, and an abandoned industrial park. When we stop, I am in the middle of a bunch of abandoned industrial buildings.

Honestly, I was thinking, - is this where I get carjacked, shot, or worse, - or does a gunfight ensue? I'm still holding Louise under my coat, facing toward my pax, when they finally got out.

I drove off, feeling damn lucky to be alive. Oh yeah, - no tip either!
From our end it's scarier because we are completely in the unknown in these situations. Not that this means a damn thing, but the ride requestor had to have used a valid phone and had a valid credit card. Could the phone and card be stolen, yes, but even so, there would be ping coordinates after they dug up our bodies. While most criminals aren't always smart or logical, I hope that many of them realize there is some ability of an audit trail potentially from both the pax and driver's phones. Even if a pax had someone else place the ride request, the trail leads back to someone or some GPS coordinates. If the pax is involved in criminal activity like with the drug deal in Old-BUF-Guy's example, they really thankfully just wanted a freaking ride to wherever.

Having said that, if you are the unlucky soul that ends up where someone is intent on hurting an uber driver or anyone who just happens to be at the wrong place at the right time, then it doesn't matter statistically how rare that happens. Your family and survivors won't care at that point. You won't care cause you will be dead or hurt. Think the main thing here is in both examples, neither of you panicked, which could have escalated.

It's amazing how driving for rideshare you learn about your own stereotypes, even if you thought you didn't have any. Think nothing now of going into neighborhoods deemed "THE HOOD" by my white coworkers. Have been treated nicer there than in ritzy neighborhoods. You begin to realize you previously saw the neighborhood as a crime ridden place to avoid and you didn't really think of honest people living there but driving rideshare, you begin to see the peeps you come in contact with and stop generalizing. That doesn't mean I want to end up there at 2 or 3am necessarily but I do think I have a much better perspective from my experience driving,

Old BUF Guy

From our end it's scarier because we are completely in the unknown in these situations. Not that this means a damn thing, but the ride requestor had to have used a valid phone and had a valid credit card. Could the phone and card be stolen, yes, but even so, there would be ping coordinates after they dug up our bodies. While most criminals aren't always smart or logical, I hope that many of them realize there is some ability of an audit trail potentially from both the pax and driver's phones. Even if a pax had someone else place the ride request, the trail leads back to someone or some GPS coordinates. If the pax is involved in criminal activity like with the drug deal in Old-BUF-Guy's example, they really thankfully just wanted a freaking ride to wherever.

Having said that, if you are the unlucky soul that ends up where someone is intent on hurting an uber driver or anyone who just happens to be at the wrong place at the right time, then it doesn't matter statistically how rare that happens. Your family and survivors won't care at that point. You won't care cause you will be dead or hurt. Think the main thing here is in both examples, neither of you panicked, which could have escalated.

It's amazing how driving for rideshare you learn about your own stereotypes, even if you thought you didn't have any. Think nothing now of going into neighborhoods deemed "THE HOOD" by my white coworkers. Have been treated nicer there than in ritzy neighborhoods. You begin to realize you previously saw the neighborhood as a crime ridden place to avoid and you didn't really think of honest people living there but driving rideshare, you begin to see the peeps you come in contact with and stop generalizing. That doesn't mean I want to end up there at 2 or 3am necessarily but I do think I have a much better perspective from my experience driving,
Since driving rideshare, my perspective hasn't changed much if at all. Sure there are good people everywhere. Some people are nice, and some are pricks, and that is not dependent on where they live. The bottom line for me is the violent crime level in certain areas. And to minimize my risks, I factor that in to where I will accept rides and when. Given that the vast majority of shootings, robberies, and other violent crimes takes place in "the hood", I will avoid those areas as much as possible.

Is that too bad for those good people who live in those areas? Absolutely. But that is just the way it is. I am not about to needlessly risk my own personal safety to satisfy someone else's desire that the world be a perfect, fair, and harmonious place.

Dontmakemepullauonyou

This actually happened to me a few months ago. I’ve been wanting to tell the story, but I felt it would be very hard to describe the situation. And I don’t have the DamseLinDistresS writing skills.

But I had some time so I’m giving it a shot.

So It’s about 11:30 PM and I pick up this very drunk woman. She’s leaving what appears to be a house party. The kind of drunk that I might have said no to normally. But 2 women came out and I could see one was helping the other walk a bit. But I thought they were both getting in.

Once she was in and I realized the more sober looking one wasn’t going, I decided to go with it since this wasn’t a young 20 something girl. It was a woman maybe late 30’s or early 40’s. Good looking woman dressed to kill.

I’m taking her to kind of a bad neighborhood. It’s not terrible, but does have known gang activity.
As bad as neighborhoods get in this city. Been here many times and never any issues.

This next part has nothing to do with my scary night but what the heck, I’ll throw in the details.

She’s telling about her night and in an almost crying voice keeps asking me “why is love so hard?’

I’m giving her some BS advice and she just keeps talking and asking that same question.

We arrive and she keeps talking for like 2 minutes. I’m finally trying to tell her she needs to get out and she reaches for my hand. I’m thinking she’s going to shake it and she brings it to her face and kisses it. Then brings it to her chest and says “you’re such a special person.”

Now this is bare chest my hand is on. She had major cleavage. I quickly pulled my hand away in under 9.3 seconds. I wasn’t having any of that!

Anyway, so as she’s exiting my vehicle, she asks me if I mind waiting for her until she enters her apartment and she turns the light on. She points to her upstairs window. We were parked right in front of her building.

I say sure, no problem. As she’s walking away, I try to look at the window and realize I can’t see it from where I’m sitting. The building was very close to the sidewalk, so I would only be able to see it if I was sitting in the passenger seat

I decide that this would be a good opportunity for me to stretch my legs. So I get out of my car and stand in the middle of the street. It’s a one-way street.

It’s almost midnight and I’m feeling pretty comfortable standing in the middle of the street. I can’t hear a car anywhere or see any headlights.

She has a bit of a walk to her apartment. She had to walk down the sidewalk a bit, go through a gate, then sounded like the stairs were toward the back of the building. I can clearly hear her footsteps in her heels. She’s walking slow because she’s drunk and also probably her feet hurt.

So as I’m standing there, in the middle of the street of a known gang neighborhood, I look to my right and completely freeze!

About 50 yards away from me, in the middle of the street, is a man just standing there facing me. He’s wearing a hood and is not moving. Just completely still. But staring right at me.

I stood there looking at him for maybe 10 seconds, maybe 15. I didn’t know what to do.

I realized at that moment what an idiot I was and the position I put myself in.
Of course they’re going to challenge someone standing in the middle of the street at midnight.

I was pretty sure that if he started coming at me I had enough time to get in my car and close the door before he reached me. But still I just stood there.

I took my eyes away from him and looked up at the window. For some stupid reason I still wanted to make sure she made it to her apartment.

I think I looked up a few times and took a few stepped back and forth kinda hoping he would understand that there was a reason why I was standing there.

I honestly cannot say how long I stood there after I saw him. But it was pretty terrifying seeing him standing there.

Then all of a sudden the light in her room comes on. The moment I saw that I jump in my Pilot, turn it on and start driving away.

As I’m driving away I look to my left and I see a different man walking behind a small playground that was right across the street. He was kind of ducking behind the playground.

So I realized at that point why the first guy wasn’t moving. He was waiting for his buddy to make it to the other side. At that point I would have been surrounded and at the very least I have no doubt I was going to get the beating of a lifetime. That would be my best case scenario had I stood there for 20 more seconds.

Lucky for all y’all, I am still here!

I’ve never felt nervous about driving Uber and still don’t, even late at night.

But man, I almost shit my pants that night. I realize that was all me. I put myself in that situation for getting out of my car in that neighborhood.

Here’s the best part. Now in hindsight, I could have just opened my sunroof and I would have been able to see her window.
I dunno sounds kinda fun. I would’ve yelled at the guy standing in the street “wanna duel” I’d then draw my defense weapon watch the rats scurry away. Guy behind the playground tryna flank me would’ve had to dodge a few just for giggles.

john2g1

High crime areas. That's a fact.
Avoiding high crime areas is not being racist.

It's not that bad. Petty much one shady neighborhood.
LOL no but bluntly saying you avoid the ghetto makes me want to ask a follow up question.

Okay first great story.. Second I live in Atlanta but Atlanta is still inside of Georgia so read anything you want into my next lines.

The fact that no mention of race was initially a welcomed change but then I kinda wanted ethnicity to be mentioned.

You said the pax was attractive and some other female poster described you as Michael C. Hall so my mind was like "Taylor Swift? Hmmm... Not my cup of tea but go on". Then you said cleavage and I thought "Tyra Banks? Giselle? ScarJo? I can still work with ScarJo."

You finished the story and I still didn't know what race you or the "scary guy" was which again is a welcomed change.

But then you said I avoid the ghetto and I had to resist asking if you had an issue with German Jews (if no one gets that joke read a history book).
After resisting a morbid nerd joke I saw that you told the guy that the man in question was the same complexion as yourself and you changed your statement to "high crime areas"

May I present to you the "You did not make the Internet worst today" award.

Cableguynoe

LOL no but bluntly saying you avoid the ghetto makes me want to ask a follow up question.

Okay first great story.. Second I live in Atlanta but Atlanta is still inside of Georgia so read anything you want into my next lines.

The fact that no mention of race was initially a welcomed change but then I kinda wanted ethnicity to be mentioned.

You said the pax was attractive and some other female poster described you as Michael C. Hall so my mind was like "Taylor Swift? Hmmm... Not my cup of tea but go on". Then you said cleavage and I thought "Tyra Banks? Giselle? ScarJo? I can still work with ScarJo."

You finished the story and I still didn't know what race you or the "scary guy" was which again is a welcomed change.

But then you said I avoid the ghetto and I had to resist asking if you had an issue with German Jews (if no one gets that joke read a history book).
After resisting a morbid nerd joke I saw that you told the guy that the man in question was the same complexion as yourself and you changed your statement to "high crime areas"

May I present to you the "You did not make the Internet worst today" award.
I never really said I avoid the ghetto.

For starters I never used the term ghetto initially. I called it a bad neighborhood.
It wasn't until about 20 messages back that some guy started throwing "racism" around and used the term ghetto that I used it also.
My point with that was that it's not racist if you avoid a neighborhood/ghetto because you know it's a high crime area.

Also I never saw his complexion.

However, this is a primarily Hispanic neighborhood.
The gang activity here is from Mexican gangs.
When ICE visits this city, they hit that neighborhood.
When I drive by there during the day I see primarily Hispanics.

So that's what led me to believe that he was probably the same race as me, however can't me 100% sure of that.
So now you know the race. Hope I didn't ruin it for you:wink:

And yea, ScarJo is probably the closest

JMlyftuber

I'll relate my worst pax story.

A snowy December Saturday afternoon. I get a ping around 2PM, and I take it. Turns out to be in the heart of the worst crime ridden neighborhood, the east side hood, on a dead end street. Normal name, something like "Mark". I get there and pull up to the address, and there is some 500+# ghetto rat sitting on the stoop. Being a noob at the time, I ask: Are you Mark? No response. Does Mark live here? Same. Do you know Mark? Same deal again. I think F it, I'm gone, and drive up the street to turn around and leave.

When I turn around, there is now a vehicle blocking the road in front of me. Now, a full blown hood rat comes out of the house with the 500# mute, and walks up the street toward me, and the car blocking my way. He is a young black male; ball cap on backwards; multiple face piercings; gold grill; multiple heavy gold chains; a puffy black coat; pants hanging below his azz; and wearing high tops. He walks up to the stopped car, and proceeds to do a drug deal right in front of me!

And then, he turns to me, points, and says: "You my Uber". F,F,F I'm thinking, and I still can't drive off because the car in front of me is blocking the narrow street, and not moving yet. Now, I travel with two ipack friends, nicknamed Rosie & Louise. I unsnap Louise as he heads toward me, and he climbs in behind me. F,F,F, I'm thinking to myself. He then tells me in Ebonics to "take him where gots to go...".

Being a noob, I start going. All of a sudden he screams out to STOP! I do, and now he invites his 500# porch buddy to join the ride. F,F,F I'm thinking! Now, I'm driving with my right hand on the wheel, and my left hand on Louise under my coat the entire way. I do not recognize where I'm headed. And then he screams out again for me to STOP! I'm thinking, WTF? And then he proceeds to do the 1st of 2 drug deals from the window of my car while seated right behind me!

As it turns out, we are headed to the second worst crime ridden neighborhood in Buffalo, - the lower west side. As the GPS directs me, we end up going down a one lane wide, one direction, trash filled alley between a bunch of run down houses, and an abandoned industrial park. When we stop, I am in the middle of a bunch of abandoned industrial buildings.

Honestly, I was thinking, - is this where I get carjacked, shot, or worse, - or does a gunfight ensue? I'm still holding Louise under my coat, facing toward my pax, when they finally got out.

I drove off, feeling damn lucky to be alive. Oh yeah, - no tip either!
There's a bad part of Buffalo? *Shudders*