• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

A scary moment

stpetej

This actually happened to me a few months ago. I’ve been wanting to tell the story, but I felt it would be very hard to describe the situation. And I don’t have the DamseLinDistresS writing skills.

But I had some time so I’m giving it a shot.

So It’s about 11:30 PM and I pick up this very drunk woman. She’s leaving what appears to be a house party. The kind of drunk that I might have said no to normally. But 2 women came out and I could see one was helping the other walk a bit. But I thought they were both getting in.

Once she was in and I realized the more sober looking one wasn’t going, I decided to go with it since this wasn’t a young 20 something girl. It was a woman maybe late 30’s or early 40’s. Good looking woman dressed to kill.

I’m taking her to kind of a bad neighborhood. It’s not terrible, but does have known gang activity.
As bad as neighborhoods get in this city. Been here many times and never any issues.

This next part has nothing to do with my scary night but what the heck, I’ll throw in the details.

She’s telling about her night and in an almost crying voice keeps asking me “why is love so hard?’

I’m giving her some BS advice and she just keeps talking and asking that same question.

We arrive and she keeps talking for like 2 minutes. I’m finally trying to tell her she needs to get out and she reaches for my hand. I’m thinking she’s going to shake it and she brings it to her face and kisses it. Then brings it to her chest and says “you’re such a special person.”

Now this is bare chest my hand is on. She had major cleavage. I quickly pulled my hand away in under 9.3 seconds. I wasn’t having any of that!

Anyway, so as she’s exiting my vehicle, she asks me if I mind waiting for her until she enters her apartment and she turns the light on. She points to her upstairs window. We were parked right in front of her building.

I say sure, no problem. As she’s walking away, I try to look at the window and realize I can’t see it from where I’m sitting. The building was very close to the sidewalk, so I would only be able to see it if I was sitting in the passenger seat

I decide that this would be a good opportunity for me to stretch my legs. So I get out of my car and stand in the middle of the street. It’s a one-way street.

It’s almost midnight and I’m feeling pretty comfortable standing in the middle of the street. I can’t hear a car anywhere or see any headlights.

She has a bit of a walk to her apartment. She had to walk down the sidewalk a bit, go through a gate, then sounded like the stairs were toward the back of the building. I can clearly hear her footsteps in her heels. She’s walking slow because she’s drunk and also probably her feet hurt.

So as I’m standing there, in the middle of the street of a known gang neighborhood, I look to my right and completely freeze!

About 50 yards away from me, in the middle of the street, is a man just standing there facing me. He’s wearing a hood and is not moving. Just completely still. But staring right at me.

I stood there looking at him for maybe 10 seconds, maybe 15. I didn’t know what to do.

I realized at that moment what an idiot I was and the position I put myself in.
Of course they’re going to challenge someone standing in the middle of the street at midnight.

I was pretty sure that if he started coming at me I had enough time to get in my car and close the door before he reached me. But still I just stood there.

I took my eyes away from him and looked up at the window. For some stupid reason I still wanted to make sure she made it to her apartment.

I think I looked up a few times and took a few stepped back and forth kinda hoping he would understand that there was a reason why I was standing there.

I honestly cannot say how long I stood there after I saw him. But it was pretty terrifying seeing him standing there.

Then all of a sudden the light in her room comes on. The moment I saw that I jump in my Pilot, turn it on and start driving away.

As I’m driving away I look to my left and I see a different man walking behind a small playground that was right across the street. He was kind of ducking behind the playground.

So I realized at that point why the first guy wasn’t moving. He was waiting for his buddy to make it to the other side. At that point I would have been surrounded and at the very least I have no doubt I was going to get the beating of a lifetime. That would be my best case scenario had I stood there for 20 more seconds.

Lucky for all y’all, I am still here!

I’ve never felt nervous about driving Uber and still don’t, even late at night.

But man, I almost shit my pants that night. I realize that was all me. I put myself in that situation for getting out of my car in that neighborhood.

Here’s the best part. Now in hindsight, I could have just opened my sunroof and I would have been able to see her window.
I'm so glad you're okay!

mikeslemonade

Read the whole thread. Can people post what part of the neighborhood is bad for their city?

Like I’m from San Francisco. Picking a particular type of person in the Tenderloin district is bad. And the south east portion of the city used to be bad but not really bad anymore. Basically just rely on uber ratings. If it’s a 5.0 don’t pick them up because it’s probably a new user and they might have ill intent. If it’s a 4.2 don’t pick them up. If it’s like a 4.71 pick them up because they have riden uber a lot to get that kind of rating. If it’s a 4.51 don’t pick them up, because that means they have taken a lot of rides and have gotten probably many bad ratings to get it to that average.

If it’s a 4.5 rating I usually pick those up because logically they probably had 2 rides which got them that nice round average. Same goes with 4.66 or 4.67. They probably only had 3 rides to get that average.

Last edited:

KD_LA

Author
Read the whole thread. Can people post what part of the neighborhood is bad for their city?

Like I’m from San Francisco. Picking a particular type of person in the Tenderloin district is bad. And the south east portion of the city used to be bad but not really bad anymore. Basically just rely on uber ratings. If it’s a 5.0 don’t pick them up because it’s probably a new user and they might have ill intent. If it’s a 4.2 don’t pick them up. If it’s like a 4.71 pick them up because they have riden uber a lot to get that kind of rating. If it’s a 4.51 don’t pick them up, because that means they have taken a lot of rides and have gotten probably many bad ratings to get it to that average.

If it’s a 4.5 rating I usually pick those up because logically they probably had 2 rides which got them that nice round average. Same goes with 4.66 or 4.67. They probably only had 3 rides to get that average.
Just one bad neighborhood in Los Angeles: the one between San Francisco and San Diego
YahooIcon21.gif

Ubering around

This actually happened to me a few months ago. I’ve been wanting to tell the story, but I felt it would be very hard to describe the situation. And I don’t have the DamseLinDistresS writing skills.

So It’s about 11:30 PM and I pick up this very drunk woman. She’s leaving what appears to be a house party. The kind of drunk that I might have said no to normally. But 2 women came out and I could see one was helping the other walk a bit. But I thought they were both getting in.

Once she was in and I realized the more sober looking one wasn’t going, I decided to go with it since this wasn’t a young 20 something girl. It was a woman maybe late 30’s or early 40’s. Good looking woman dressed to kill.

I’m taking her to kind of a bad neighborhood. It’s not terrible, but does have known gang activity.
As bad as neighborhoods get in this city. Been here many times and never any issues.

This next part has nothing to do with my scary night but what the heck, I’ll throw in the details.

She’s telling about her night and in an almost crying voice keeps asking me “why is love so hard?’

I’m giving her some BS advice and she just keeps talking and asking that same question.

We arrive and she keeps talking for like 2 minutes. I’m finally trying to tell her she needs to get out and she reaches for my hand. I’m thinking she’s going to shake it and she brings it to her face and kisses it. Then brings it to her chest and says “you’re such a special person.”

Now this is bare chest my hand is on. She had major cleavage. I quickly pulled my hand away in under 9.3 seconds. I wasn’t having any of that!

Anyway, so as she’s exiting my vehicle, she asks me if I mind waiting for her until she enters her apartment and she turns the light on. She points to her upstairs window. We were parked right in front of her building.

I say sure, no problem. As she’s walking away, I try to look at the window and realize I can’t see it from where I’m sitting. The building was very close to the sidewalk, so I would only be able to see it if I was sitting in the passenger seat

I decide that this would be a good opportunity for me to stretch my legs. So I get out of my car and stand in the middle of the street. It’s a one-way street.

It’s almost midnight and I’m feeling pretty comfortable standing in the middle of the street. I can’t hear a car anywhere or see any headlights.

She has a bit of a walk to her apartment. She had to walk down the sidewalk a bit, go through a gate, then sounded like the stairs were toward the back of the building. I can clearly hear her footsteps in her heels. She’s walking slow because she’s drunk and also probably her feet hurt.

So as I’m standing there, in the middle of the street of a known gang neighborhood, I look to my right and completely freeze!

About 50 yards away from me, in the middle of the street, is a man just standing there facing me. He’s wearing a hood and is not moving. Just completely still. But staring right at me.

I stood there looking at him for maybe 10 seconds, maybe 15. I didn’t know what to do.

Of course they’re going to challenge someone standing in the middle of the street at midnight.

I was pretty sure that if he started coming at me I had enough time to get in my car and close the door before he reached me. But still I just stood there.

I took my eyes away from him and looked up at the window. For some stupid reason I still wanted to make sure she made it to her apartment.

I think I looked up a few times and took a few stepped back and forth kinda hoping he would understand that there was a reason why I was standing there.

I honestly cannot say how long I stood there after I saw him. But it was pretty terrifying seeing him standing there.

Then all of a sudden the light in her room comes on. The moment I saw that I jump in my Pilot, turn it on and start driving away.

As I’m driving away I look to my left and I see a different man walking behind a small playground that was right across the street. He was kind of ducking behind the playground.

So I realized at that point why the first guy wasn’t moving. He was waiting for his buddy to make it to the other side. At that point I would have been surrounded and at the very least I have no doubt I was going to get the beating of a lifetime. That would be my best case scenario had I stood there for 20 more seconds.

But man, I almost shit my pants that night. I realize that was all me. I put myself in that situation for getting out of my car in that neighborhood.

Here’s the best part. Now in hindsight, I could have just opened my sunroof and I would have been able to see her window.
Glad you survived that
Personally I never leave the car especaily in shady hoods

I once took a hook to a hotel and she said she would be out in an hour. She called me an hour later and worked me for a better cash price return to the motel 6. Ghetto music blasting she was much richer. Next thing she says when we get to the Motel 6 is hey can you be available later as I'm going to roll out again. Sure no problem I said. Great I just need to go inside and wash my asz and I'll be right back out. f that

Cdub2k

And you would have been booted and they would have given the criminals free ride coupons
The "potential" criminals were not riders. The rider was a female he dropped off (did you not read the story?). The "potential" criminals had no access to Uber to even request free ride coupons or have a driver banned. I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Clarify yourself

Juugman2208

Quick question thread.... Have any of you ever been robbed, car jacked, or shot at by a black person??.... didn’t think so. Y’all just scary ass people that what too much TV. Now carry on with your Racist rants about the “ghetto”

Cableguynoe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quick question thread.... Have any of you ever been robbed, car jacked, or shot at by a black person??.... didn’t think so. Y’all just scary ass people that what too much TV. Now carry on with your Racist rants about the “ghetto”
You're the only one here saying anything about blacks.

The neighborhood this thread is about is occupied primarily by Mexicans.

Gets your facts straight kid. Now get the hell out of my thread!

ghet·to
ˈɡedō/
noun

1. 1.

a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups.

Juugman2208

Racist: a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

Still didn’t answer the question.

WHO IN HERE HAS EVER BEEN ROBBED CAR JACKED OR SHOT AT BY A RANDOM MINORITY PERSON????