1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

A Rider Puked on Me, Now What?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Uber_Dubler, Sep 15, 2018 at 6:20 PM.

1. Uber_Dubler

Uber_Dubler Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I haven't had that many vomit rides, I think 9 or 10 over 4,500 plus trips. And I'll admit, it doesn't bother me to get 70 bucks from Uber after someone pukes outside my car b/c I know it will just be a $10.00 car wash and less than an hour of window washing time to be sure its all gone. Then back on the road after an easy 50 bucks net.

Last night was a little different. I had a power puker. From the back seat he puked so violently I had to clean puke out of the CD player and front air vents with Q-trips. BTW, parking the car seemed like a pretty good idea after someone projectile vomits, until you reach for the stick shift which is also covered in vomit. To add insult to injury, I've also added a picture of where the guy actually puked ON ME.

No quickie clean here. I've spent $150 so far on professional detailing and getting some personal stuff replaced (like the shirt the guy puked on). And I kept all receipts. Basically, 110 for professional cleaning, 20 for enough cleaning supplies and late night car wash to get me home, and 20 to replace some personal stuff that had puke on it, like the shirt off my back.

My fear is Uber will offer $150. Maybe even less if they consider the property loss not covered by a cleaning fee, e.g. cost of doing business. After all, I was going to wash the shirt anyway so why should the rider have to pay for a new shirt?

I'm trying to prepare my defense for Uber's low-ball cleaning fee and trying to figure out how to position this to be something more significant than an a $150 cleaning fee. My understanding is Uber caps cleaning fees at $150. True???

It really is gut wrenching when you realize, wow, I've put myself in a position that someone can vomit on me and I should expect the same compensation as if they had vomited on a floor mat.

Oh, and lost wages b/c I'm been off line for a day? Uber already set my expectations their policy is they don't pay for "potential" wages lost.

Any thoughts on how to maneuver Uber for the most compensation a power puking? Shift Gif.gif

Thanks in Advance for your comments.

jgiun1, tohunt4me, Z129 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

Your fear should be Hepatitis C or some other disease.

jgiun1, tohunt4me, FXService and 7 others like this.
  3. Dave Bust

Dave Bust Active Member

i always video and photo as they puke,,,uber will always low ball,,than i show them the video of the pax puking and $150 no problems

jgiun1 and tohunt4me like this.
  4. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, the cap is $150. Just remember all the times it cost you less than you received, and figure that goes to the overage...

If, however, something is DAMAGED, or your dash needs to be pulled off, or whatever, you could probably sue the pax in small claims court for the difference. If you really want it, that is.

5. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

You need to start using sunscreen on your arms when you drive.

jgiun1 and Pax Collector like this.
  6. Over/Uber

Over/Uber Well-Known Member

This.

I don't work nights because of too many variables and risks. Life can suck enough without having the contents of one's stomach in my car and/or on me.

Almost 4000 rides for me and not one in-car puker. Two stepped out and puked on the curb.

jgiun1 and Mista T like this.
  7. AllGold

AllGold Well-Known Member

That really sucks, but I agree with SuzeCBSuzeCB. You won't get more than $150. But on average, you're still ahead.

jgiun1, HotUberMess and MHR like this.
  8. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I keep barf bags all over my car, and works great as conversation starters

jgiun1 likes this.
  9. Uber_Dubler

Uber_Dubler Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Got Uber's second reply, they are sticking with $80. Maybe I should tweet the photo to good ole Dara.

jgiun1, Brian G. and BikingBob like this.
  10. Christinebitg

Christinebitg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Okay, I'll bite. Why didn't you just wash the shirt?

Thanks.

jgiun1 likes this.
  11. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Vomit chunks can clog a washing machine.

That and the bro probably chucked it in a 711 trash can and drive home shirtless.

jgiun1 likes this.
  12. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    How is that possible??? Ive had 4 pukers and have always gotten the $150.

Call them back and tell them you car is covered in someones Biohazard....$80 is bull****.

jgiun1, AllGold and CJfrom619 like this.
  13. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Biohazard emphasis....

You need to find a way to express...

In lots of adjectives how bad it IS...8>O

Remember very few of the Rohits...

Have EVER had something like this....

Happen to them....8>)

Express yourself....

He did...all over you....in spades...

And he didn't try to cover his mouth....

It did happen once to me...got $150...8>)

You should try getting it out of hair...8>)

Good Luck...!!!

Rakos
    a2aa007ac8f143bd5588f2a929e9c1d9--beautiful-babies-beautiful-horses.jpg

jgiun1 and CJfrom619 like this.
  14. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

Charge the pax $250, pay the driver $80. Simple Uber math.

jgiun1 and Rakos like this.
  15. Uber_Dubler

Uber_Dubler Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Basically for the same reason I use toilet paper to wipe my buttt.

Internal body fluids, especially somebody's internal body fluids, aren't ment to be on exposed skin. That's why they are known as INTERNAL body fluids. Blood, stomach acids, bile, etc, work best when they are IN the body.

I spent about an hour to start the cleaning of my car at a local car wash, power wash the floor mats, get the big chucks, vacuuming, etc. Nope, didn't think it would be smart to have any person's bodily fluid residue on me for 60 minutes. Even with a new shirt, and after doing a basic cleaning of my car to at least get home at 3AM in the morning, I still needed to drive 30 minutes with puker residue in throughout the car.

This is an interesting response. Doesn't anyone know if Uber really does this? I would not at all be surprised.

jgiun1 and Rakos like this.
  16. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    4500 Uber rides is what, a year and a half maybe 2 years? 10 pukers in that short of a time frame is very unusual. I've had 2 pukers in 18 years. You need to change your pick up strategy to different hours or different locations.

jgiun1, Brian G. and tohunt4me like this.
  17. AuxCordTherapy

AuxCordTherapy Well-Known Member

Are you guys really telling him to wash the shirt? I wouldn’t care if it cost $200, it’s going straight in the trash. Disgusting to wear something that someone has puked all over.

Feel sorry for you, this is why I don’t drive past 8 pm.

jgiun1, tohunt4me and Rakos like this.
  18. FXService

FXService Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    You have a civil case and criminal case. Small claims court for destroyed items and criminal because vomiting on you is considered battery. Though they'd have to show intent, so the DA would probably downgrade the charge to public intoxication (your vehicle is a place of business, Hence a public place) and or disturbing the peace, if they wanted to bring criminal charges.

19. Christinebitg

Christinebitg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, I really am.

During my time in college, I hadn't yet mastered alcohol use. I had some times when I had to wash the clothes I'd been wearing. I never had any time when my clothes weren't salvageable.

If you're that squeamish about other people's fluids, you might want to consider a different line of work.

Christine

20. FXService

FXService Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Hepatitis A and C, norovirus, influenza, and H. Pylori would like a chat with you.