1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

A Pool boycott could work!

Discussion in 'Advice' started by johnydynamic, Oct 12, 2018.

1. A strike has been proposed many times in these forums. A strike will never happen and if it did it wouldn’t work for a lot of reasons that have been discussed in other threads.

A Pool boycott, on the other hand, might be feasible. Everybody can still go out and earn but decline all Pool requests. Uber-Pool-Losers would suddenly find that they can’t get a car and would eventually request an X ride which would work like normal. We can train pax not to use Pool. There’s no such thing as a “ Pool surge” so Uber would have to either start them as a new “feature” (which would make Pool suck less by paying more) or abandon the concept due to decreased demand.

What do you think?

MoreTips and Roger Wil like this.
  2. Haha. ,

JimKE likes this.
  3. Ezridax

Ezridax

Driving:
    Lyft
    I think you should go back and reread your post about protecting yourself. Lol

johnydynamic and Lynda Griego like this.
  4. Good point. The worst they can do is permanently deactivate me. Uber Pool is a major F-you to drivers.

5. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Who says there's no "Pool Surge"?

I just ran a little test. I checked to see what it would cost me to order a full ride to a particular address. The distance was 4.9 miles and the estimated time was 17 minutes. The pay that a driver would get for it would be $0.87 for the base rate plus $3.7385 for the miles plus $2.125 for the time. $6.605.

The charge to the pax was estimated at $13.59. Uber takes (or would, if I was taking the trip) 52%. There's no need for surge on Pool. They can charge whatever they want.

FTR, the quoted price for the same trip on X was $14.42.

And, as I continued to flip back and forth through the screen, The price came down, which indicates that it was a surge rate being charged to the Pax. I don't know if that was being offered to the driver or not. I'm wait-listed, so I have no way of knowing when surge shows on the driver app.

6. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Pool rides are not the most horrible thing ever. And when you stop additional requests, you essentially just upgrade your pool rider to X status at the lower rate. I think that when you do that, you have outsmarted yourself.

Take the pool rides. Some, at least. They will likely not kill you, nor ruin your day.

johnydynamic and Ezridax like this.
  7. Mista T

Mista T Author

I have been boycotting Pool and Shared since they came to my market. I thought we were already boycotting this. Was I just ahead of the curve?

8. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    My god.....enough with the whining about boycotts.

If you feel the need to rant about boycotting then nut up and stop driving all together.

....and further more, if you dont like driving pool then dont drive pool. When you sleep with dogs, dont be surprised to get fleas.

9. JimKE

JimKE

^^^^^What she said.

10. Yeah. Dumb idea. Now immortalized on the internet.

Seemed like a good idea when I typed it. Then it didn’t.

I accept your mockery and mock myself. Stupid marshmallow!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  11. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

I hate the shared\pool too. I only take them when I’m close to finishing a quest. Other times it’s a big NO.

MoreTips and johnydynamic like this.
  12. ANT 7

ANT 7

Driving:
    UberX
    There is no POOL in my market. And if there was I'd never sign up for it.

13. You don’t sign up for it. Uber just gives you Pool requests along with X requests.

14. ANT 7

ANT 7

Driving:
    UberX
    You can click a box in the preferences section of your driver app to choose it.

15. JimKE

JimKE

Only if you drive XL or higher. X/Pool/Express Pool are one preference. You can't do X but eliminate Pool requests.

Of course, you don't have to accept Pool. I don't and have never had any issues with that strategy.

16. TDR

TDR

:)

17. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope. In the markets that have it, Pool is linked with X. If you "unchoose" it, you can't get X rides either. I'm not sure about XL, since I only drove X.

18. JimKE

JimKE

With XL, you can select XL only. But you can't separate X and Poop. We used to be able to opt out of Poop, but no longer. So I just decline them all.

SuzeCB likes this.
  19. seymour

seymour

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Pool is where the big bucks are made - $100k/year doing nothing but pool and X, less than 55hrs/wk. Easy Peasy.

Everyone likes to hate on Pool Pax. SMH.

150 rides last week, all pool and X.

Keep hating on pool on this forum - you are doing me a favor!

Attached Files:

20. MoreTips

MoreTips

Must be nice working in markets that have promotions. Maybe we will need promotions when they start pool.