A passenger in a Lyft brutality mauled and beaten by police in Clayton County, Ga.

ohnos

Every state is different.
In Cali I don't have to actually SHOW ID if asked, but I do have to ID myself.
If I say, "My name is _______ and I reside at __________." I have ID'd myself.
I have found, that if asked, the easiest way to ID myself is to give the cop my DL - but, I don't have to.

Once I got pulled over and did NOT have my DL on me. Rarely happens, but it happened. I just told the cop that I didn't have the DL with me (sorry), but that I did know my DL number. He took that, and the registration and believed my identification. Cited me for not having a DL in possession while operating a vehicle; and not for what he pulled me over for (a moving violation.) Good deal.
cali is burning and not from fires and going to crap due to the laws they don't protect law abiding people. and If pulled over in cali driving you have to have a valid ID. read here.

It’s important to note here that if you do exercise your right to refuse to show your ID, an officer might arrest you. It would be a wrongful arrest, but it would be an arrest. (And for some, the arrest may carry immigration consequences.) That said, if it happens to you, consider calling the ACLU. In California, as long as the request for ID is not reasonably related to the scope of the stop, you have the right to refuse to show your ID to law enforcement except in the following cases:

• If you’re driving and pulled over, you need to show ID.
  • If you have been arrested or booked, show your ID.

jeanocelot

We don't know the whole story. Police could have had a report of an incident or wrong doing.
If they ask for id during an investigation you have to show an ID period. It's the law.
Do not think you can't get away with not providing an ID during a traffic stop.
Even if you think you are right show the ID.
If you fail and fight this might happen.
moral of the story is if you did nothing wrong show id and not create the issue.
If you know you are wrong do not fight or resist. If you look like a freak out you create a problem.
The people around freaking out for sure made it all worse. Don't freak out don't be an idiot.
I've heard this rule both ways - that a person doesn't have to give the police his identification (i.e., unless he is driving, etc.) I'd like to see a major national-level commission on police procedures discuss everything that way everyone will know what's in it - and make changes to those parts that should be changed.
Post automatically merged:

Every state is different.
In Cali I don't have to actually SHOW ID if asked, but I do have to ID myself.
If I say, "My name is _______ and I reside at __________." I have ID'd myself.
I have found, that if asked, the easiest way to ID myself is to give the cop my DL - but, I don't have to.

Once I got pulled over and did NOT have my DL on me. Rarely happens, but it happened. I just told the cop that I didn't have the DL with me (sorry), but that I did know my DL number. He took that, and the registration and believed my identification. Cited me for not having a DL in possession while operating a vehicle; and not for what he pulled me over for (a moving violation.) Good deal.
Hmm, this sounds like a good ploy - when faced with a driving infraction, introduce a non-driving infraction so that the police might forget about the driving infraction. :biggrin:

njn

It was an illegal gypsee cab. Police are known to seize these vehicles.

"Mr. Walker has a felony probation warrant out of Fulton County for Cruelty to Children, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and a Failure to Appear warrant out of Hapeville which resulted in Magistrate Court denying him a bond,” the statement reads.

Somehow this important information is excluded from most articles. Imagine that, a convicted felon resisting arrest.

Cynergie

Wheres a written article on this ?
What are the Circumstances ?

Took all that time to get handcuffs on the guy.

He was Resisting Arrest till the end.

What did resisting arrest, failure to comply, accomplish ?
The fact that he now knows he's supposed to carry a state issued ID card. And even more importantly, PRESENT said card to an officer of the law on request.

Not going to ask how he managed to book a LyfUber ride without one.

ohnos

It was an illegal gypsee cab. Police are known to seize these vehicles.

"Mr. Walker has a felony probation warrant out of Fulton County for Cruelty to Children, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and a Failure to Appear warrant out of Hapeville which resulted in Magistrate Court denying him a bond,” the statement reads.

Somehow this important information is excluded from most articles. Imagine that, a convicted felon resisting arrest.

I thought so.

Cynergie

Arrest? What arrest? For failing to produce an ID? For a breaklight out? You must have earned a beating like this more than once in your life if that's the bar you set. I hope you never have kids.
Believing anything that comes off of TMZ is like believing in pure NYC snow.
Was he on controlled substances at the time of arrest? Does he have a prior rap sheet? Is he a well known person of interest to the law enforcement community in that area? Or is the media -- yet once again-- trying to gloss over these potential red flags. All in favor their tabloid shit stirring up mob mentality over racial tension before the facts can be released yet again?

Let's wait to see what the cop's bodycam or dashcam shows between the traffic stop and the beating. For a second car to be on the scene at the start of this clip indicates this confrontation had been taking place for a while already.

The cop was terminated immediately, so there clearly was a problem in the cop's behavior. Cellphones are finally bringing these animals to account.

The actions of the cop speak for themselves. One's brain may draw different conclusions of what the eyes see.
Straight from the horse's mouth in the TMZ article

You hear a woman -- apparently the man's cousin -- screaming at the cops to stop punching, and the deputy responds, "He's biting my hand."
O.K.

"...Cops pull over black people all the time for ordinary infractions, like a taillight out, and it ends up like this. Cop was fired already..."

Fake news.

The Clayton County Sheriff's Office tells TMZ, "After being made aware of a video posted on social media involving a Deputy using physical force on a man, Sheriff Victor Hill ordered his entire Internal Affairs Unit to come in and begin an investigation that has been on going since 8pm. The Sheriff has ordered that the Deputy involved be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation."

Last edited:

Fargle

Years ago I sat on a jury in which a driver managed to escalate a simple fix-it ticket into assault on a police officer. Incidents like this raise the question of "how did it get to the point where it was acceptable to start fights with cops?". I voted to convict.

Last edited:

Phoenix123

I always like to know the full story, we never get it and then it just leave everyone to jump to conclusion.. I will make my jump in a few..:rolleyes:

Like Fargle said I would l like to know how things got from 0 to 100 real quick...

Like Ohnos said, fight it out in Court, thats what I do... I also have the means for representation.....Most people don't and get screwed by the system... ** Some people contented that the system was not built fairly for them, so they do things a little different.. (did not say if it is right or wrong ) I just know what I would do.

Thanks to those who are bringing up his criminal history, {like people don't change,} and as if they knew who he was, especially if he did not show his ID... How are they going to even know that?? ( He is black so there is that, that has been enough for some officers of the law and public eye )

I do not think anyone should be treated like this, but police making an arrest will have to take the person into custody my any means. Do they still have pepper spray, that might have been more effective then this MMA style of arresting... gaining control is one thing, going all Colby Covington is another...

Again would like to see / know the full story, but still not make the way the arrested him right....
as well as him having a criminal history, does not make the way they arrest him right...
Also its the courts to decide who is innocent or guilty...

#guiltyuntilproveninnocent or #innocentuntilprovenguilty

UberBastid

It’s important to note here that if you do exercise your right to refuse to show your ID, an officer might arrest you.
And (in Cali) the reason for his arrest is because he didn't believe your verbal identification.
It has to be 'reasonably believable' or the officer will 'detain' you until an ID can be made.
and If pulled over in cali driving you have to have a valid ID.
If pulled over, you don't need ID, you need a drivers license in your possession.
It would be a wrongful arrest
In which case a good hungry lawyer will make you some money.

I will crack Lyft hacks

Looks fairly simple What happened.

The man resisting arrest did not swing at the police or attempt to take their weapon.

Resisting arrest comes with being tased, pepper sprayed, tackled to the ground and neutralized.
Once you are on the ground, 2 officers can hold you down and cuff you.

Once officers have a suspect down punching in the face and head becomes “ Assault and battery”.
Same with excessive force to the head and neck rubbing on concrete.

Obviously something is wrong on the training side.

Officers are given guns, tasers, pepper spray, and a baton.

If someone resists arrest taser and pepper spray protocol should be put in place, with a two man tackle and handcuffing.

If the suspect assaults by swinging at officers, then the baton to the arms and legs should be protocol.

Serious training issues in the militarized police force.

Using pepper spray and taser protocols need to replace this swinging at the head, and chocking stuff.

Officers should be fired from the force.
Assault and battery charges should be filed on both officers.
Police department should give Lump sum Settlement for damages, medical expenses, and therapy his kids will need.

Guy should be charged for resisting arrest.

whatyoutalkinboutwillis

This is 2nd chapter to be learned. There is very first chapter these folks need to learn is to abide by traffic laws. Just don't invite police's attention to get pulled over in the first place.
Never seen a male black driver had made fully stopped at the intersection with a stop sign. Driving with speed in 25 mph zone, Double parking in street (Park cars in the middle of street) , never fix physically broken tail lights, no head light ON while dark.
Why is so hard to avoid doing these invitation things especially when you have drugs in your car.

ALL of them? Every black driver you've ever seen has NEVER? Jeez. Most people get a warning when their taillight is out. They don't get pulled over and treated like they are criminals. A young man was killed by cops just because he wore a ski cap. Brother was cold. But the cops saw this gentle guy and decided to end his life. But yeah, every black driver has always...