A North Texas Family Gets Outrageous Uber Charge

financeguy13

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/11/09/a-north-texas-family-gets-outrageous-uber-charge/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) –
Taken for a ride, a DFW family is in shock after discovering a near $400 Uber charge after their first Dallas Cowboys game.

Laurie Smith said about an hour after the Eagles game on October 30th, she requested an Uber XL for her family to get home to Keller.

The trip to AT&T stadium cost them about $40 earlier in the day.

But the 20-mile, 30-minute trip home ended up costing them $362.81.

“It’s literally highway robbery,” said Smith. “I just thought it was a rip off. I mean, how could you charge nine times the amount I paid to drive one place to hear just to go back.”

Smith said their Uber driver first drove them to the wrong side of Arlington, then rerouted back to their home in Keller..............

financeguy13

I'm betting the rider entered the wrong address and therefore had an upfront fare that was much lower. Then they decided to go home to Keller.

Or else Uber gave the wrong price or the rider is lying about not knowing it would cost so much.

financeguy13

Someone got paid nicely for this fare! Even drove the wrong direction in Arlington (which could be acceptable for a mile or two). Way to get paid!

HotRodriguez75

Another case of a oblivious rider trying to blame others for there own mistake. The app (old and new) shows what you will be paying.

Good move Uber for only refunding the small amount. I am guessing what they refunded was Uber's commission.

As far as the route of the stadium, my route adds 2-4 miles to the trip, but saves 30-60 minutes. Once I explain that to the passenger, they are okay with the extra miles and possible paying an extra $10 to save the time.

financeguy13

Another case of a oblivious rider trying to blame others for there own mistake. The app (old and new) shows what you will be paying.

Good move Uber for only refunding the small amount. I am guessing what they refunded was Uber's commission.

As far as the route of the stadium, my route adds 2-4 miles to the trip, but saves 30-60 minutes. Once I explain that to the passenger, they are okay with the extra miles and possible paying an extra $10 to save the time.

Completely agree. It states that "Fares are significantly higher due to very high demand" on the request screen. For me I would take a screenshot with the map route and quoted fare for proof if needed.

This past Sunday I had a 1.8x surge from Texas Motor Speedway to the DFW Marriott. When I started the trip the destination was blank though. I followed Waze and detoured south on I-35 for several miles. I asked them about a upfront price and they stated $35. Total fare ended up being $46 and no adjustments made by Uber. Not sure how the destination was missing but I feel like the upfront was quoted correctly. It matched the time/distance/surge of their request time and trip length.

HotRodriguez75

Completely agree. It states that "Fares are significantly higher due to very high demand" on the request screen. For me I would take a screenshot with the map route and quoted fare for proof if needed.

This past Sunday I had a 1.8x surge from Texas Motor Speedway to the DFW Marriott. When I started the trip the destination was blank though. I followed Waze and detoured south on I-35 for several miles. I asked them about a upfront price and they stated $35. Total fare ended up being $46 and no adjustments made by Uber. Not sure how the destination was missing but I feel like the upfront was quoted correctly. It matched the time/distance/surge of their request time and trip length.
I think when you are seeing no destination, the rider is using the old legacy rider app. I still have that one for surge chasing only. lol

I am sure the rider was just throwing out a price or possible they looked at the estimate. There is no possible way to not enter the destination in the new app, which solves one pain for us drivers.

Uberdummy

Pax is a filthy liar. Up front fare pricing was on her phone so she's lying through her teeth trying to scam a free ride.

uberparadise

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/11/09/a-north-texas-family-gets-outrageous-uber-charge/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) –
Taken for a ride, a DFW family is in shock after discovering a near $400 Uber charge after their first Dallas Cowboys game.

Laurie Smith said about an hour after the Eagles game on October 30th, she requested an Uber XL for her family to get home to Keller.

The trip to AT&T stadium cost them about $40 earlier in the day.

But the 20-mile, 30-minute trip home ended up costing them $362.81.

“It’s literally highway robbery,” said Smith. “I just thought it was a rip off. I mean, how could you charge nine times the amount I paid to drive one place to hear just to go back.”

Smith said their Uber driver first drove them to the wrong side of Arlington, then rerouted back to their home in Keller..............
Tickets were going for $250 each plus, parking passes sell for $125 and $150 each. Food and drink plus souvenirs run $200 bucks easily. So why is a $200 to $300 ride home so outrageous? It's not...... U want to go to an expensive high profile event like the Cowboys/ Eagles expect to pay 5x to 8x the regular price on the way back in some extreme cases. . It's still better than a DWI and the savings on parking is a huge discount for them. I know people that paid $1000 bucks each per ticket for the ones down low by the Cowboys bench, that's $4,000 just for tickets. I $200 to $300 dollar ride back is very possible. They didn't complain about the $15 beer or $12 hot dog! Most driver's would stay home at base rates instead of dealing with the traffic and drunk football fans. I mean we would all probably rather be at home in front of our big screen or little screen(unfortunately) just watching the game not driving these entitled jerks around.

Last edited:

HotRodriguez75

Tickets were going for $250 each plus, parking passes sell for $125 and $150 each. Food and drink plus souvenirs run $200 bucks easily. So why is a $200 to $300 ride home so outrageous? It's not...... U want to go to an expensive high profile event like the Cowboys/ Eagles expect to pay 5x to 8x the regular price on the way back in some extreme cases. . It's still better than a DWI and the savings on parking is a huge discount for them. I know people that paid $1000 bucks each per ticket for the ones down low by the Cowboys bench, that's $4,000 just for tickets. I $200 to $300 dollar ride back is very possible. They didn't complain about the $15 beer or $12 hot dog! Most driver's would stay home at base rates oinstead of dealing with the traffic and drunk football fans. I mean we would all probably rather be at home in front of our big screen or little screen(unfortunately) just watching the game not driving these entitled jerks around.
A savvy rider would simply wait it out, leave early, and be aware of what they are paying.

The last game, I had a gentleman get into my car on a 3.3 and stated that he was waiting for the surge to die. When I started the trip, the destination was set to AT&T stadium. I happily drove him to far east Dallas and he didn't dispute the charges (probably not very happy). He ended up paying close to $100 to get home.

I am pretty sure he saw the low upfront fare and thought he was golden.

financeguy13

The last game, I had a gentleman get into my car on a 3.3 and stated that he was waiting for the surge to die. When I started the trip, the destination was set to AT&T stadium. I happily drove him to far east Dallas and he didn't dispute the charges (probably not very happy). He ended up paying close to $100 to get home.

I am pretty sure he saw the low upfront fare and thought he was golden.

Nice one!

That's what I think the rider in this news article could have done. However, it's no excuse. Same think like mailing a package: you make sure the destination address is correct.

If you're drunk and make a stupid expensive choice, no right to complain. But drivers have to love those kind!