A Little Terrified (moving to NYC)

Inshur

IndigoSunflower

Good Morning,

My name is Indi and I'm currently an Uber/Lyft driver in Las Vegas, NV. I'm starting a new life in New York City (Williamsburg), and, in short, I'm scared to death.

Is there anyone that would be willing to befriend me and teach me the roads of NYC with Uber/Lyft? I've heard that Lyft is better, honestly. Someone who would be willing to befriend and train me out there would be greatly appreciated. I'd absolutely use your referral code.

I currently drive a Ford Fusion 2010 Hybrid (white).

Thank you so much!
Indi

Slow Joe

Driving is driving. I'm not sure what benefit you'd derive from "training". You'd have to learn the art of driving in Manhattan, but that only comes from experience. It can't be taught.

One thing you definitely can benefit from learning from an experienced driver is navigating the logistical and bureaucratic nightmare that is the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission, or as we unaffectionally call it, the TLC. It took me two months to get my TLC license, and I expect it to take another Goddamn month to get my just-bought car a TLC plate.

Hopefully you can avoid some of what I went through. Feel free to inbox me.

BBHMM

Well, you'll be required to apply for your "For Hire Vehicle" license through the TLC before you're allowed to drive in NYC. This license requires you to take a 24 hour course that teaches you map-reading and areas of interest. It should help you with the geography a bit. The only area I'd recommend learning on your own is lower manhattan because the streets can get weird and GPS can get screwy down there (battery park and financial district areas). Familiarize yourself with airports, museums, theaters and stadiums. That should get the ball rolling for you.

Last edited:

BBHMM

Also, I'm not 100% certain and you might want to double check, but your 2010 vehicle may be "old" for TLC standards. Can someone confirm or deny? I thought I read somewhere that 5 or 6 years is the max... but, again, I could be way off base.

Last edited:

Lenny_yellow_cab

Also, I'm not 100% certain and you might want to double check, but you 2010 vehicle may be "old" for TLC standards. Can someone confirm or deny? I thought I read somewhere that 5 or 6 years is the max... but, again, I could be way off base.
Now for UberX your car can be 2006 and up. If u plan on doing uber Black then u will need 2011 and up.

aluber1968

According to a TLC bulletin for black cars: 2010 cars must be retired by January 2017. Clean air vehicles have an extended retirement age, but it is not listed. Better contact the TLC directly. You will have plenty of time to figure out this problem while waiting for your tlc license.
You will get it after passing finger print background check, drug test, taking a 24 hour class, handicapped vehicle class, defensive drivers course and don't forget to change your drivers license for NY beforehand. The fee is a few hundred dollars, don't remember the exact amount.

UberRose

I am a driver who avoids Manhattan because I can't stand the traffic, pedestrians, too many cops (tickets), too many cars and loads of crowds crossing every intersection in Manhattan! ...I can tell you some hot spots in Queens if you like...

JustDre

I am a driver who avoids Manhattan because I can't stand the traffic, pedestrians, too many cops (tickets), too many cars and loads of crowds crossing every intersection in Manhattan! ...I can tell you some hot spots in Queens if you like...
What's your hot spots in queens? Just curious to know because I only have one lol queens Blvd or forest hills

HerbyHerb

Talk about gentrification... the last frontier is now under attack. They are also coming to eat out food

UberRose

If you are driving in Manhattan here's the key....Drive slow and don't care about the thousands of people honking at you.

Toadster

How much $ could you make in Vegas in a day?
Here in NYC you jump through hoops to get your license (TLC license). Uber helps -a lot- with free classes including now the Wheelchair class. The process takes how long? 2 months maybe. drug test, another week-long class, waiting for TLC application, etc. Then there is the car...Once I got my car, I had to figure out how and were to mount the license/car license?/regist/insurance...etc. No tickets or accidents yet crossing my fingers!

Toadster

One thing about Manhattan is getting rides to the airports although I expect you get them enough in Queens/Bklyn also.

UberRose

One thing about Manhattan is getting rides to the airports although I expect you get them enough in Queens/Bklyn also.
If you want airport rides get them from the airport itself!!...They have cell phone lot at the airport where you will always get an airport call!

Inshur New York