• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

A little higher standards wouldn't hurt

Alexxx_Uber

What we really need is a background check on riders - sometimes I feel really unsafe. In addition I believe we should not take the rides that others book for someone. Safety and liability issues apparently.
Another thing I believe necessary is that UberLyft should monitor everyride through either special dashcams or cellphone front cameras. Just in my opinion.

Gandler

After driving for a few years and reading posts on this forum I don't think it would hurt if there were a few more regulations.

• A driver's test. It doesn't have to be any different than the one taken when you get your license. I don't think it would hurt
  • Fingerprinting
  • A physical
  • In person interview - we don't need to hire every Tom, Dick and Harry
  • Drug Test
It also wouldn't hurt to establish some kind of uniformity
  • A dress code. Something above driving in your pajamas.
  • Minimum size cars. Sorry Prius drivers, but I think your car is too small.
I really don't care if this turns off people from driving, etc.
I never started Ubering until I got a Prius. I do not see how this is profitable unless you are getting at least 50MPG with a vehicle that has minimal matinence requirements (and even then barely). I certainly could never justify doing UberX in my truck or SUV.

If you want a big vehicle order an Uber XL.

As to your other points, Uber already does a background check and a driving record check. Do you think they are going to spend money on setting up their own driving centers and paying for fingerprinting (which will hardly discover anything different than their current process)....

And, when you are an independent contractor you are to use your own equipment (IE your own vehicle and clothes), if you dress dirty, you will suffer negative reviews. The free market will solve most of your issues with people either rating your poorly or refusing to get in the car....

As for a drug test, I have no problem with it, but, Uber will have to have a program to evaluate everyone who pops hot for prescriptions and judge if they deter driving ability (which would require a massive infrastructure).

I_Like_Spam

After driving for a few years and reading posts on this forum I don't think it would hurt if there were a few more regulations.

• A driver's test. It doesn't have to be any different than the one taken when you get your license. I don't think it would hurt
  • Fingerprinting
  • A physical
  • Drug Test

UBER was established as rebellion against regulations in the livery and transportation fields. When they entered a territory, they operated without permission, here in Pennsylvania they ended up paying $12 Million in fines which I guess was cheaper than doing it legally from the start.

The problem with regulations is that they cost money to implement and enforce. How much are you willing to pay out of your end for these new regulations? A physical examination can be a costly venture, ditto with drug tests, hiring people to do interviews and tests. How much are you willing to pay to be allowed to use you own family car to drive strangers around?

mikes424

Yes, it could be costly for drug tests. But it wouk2d be a lot cheaper for Uber and Lyft than a multi million dollar law suit for injuries caused btmy a driver on illegal drugs.

I_Like_Spam

Yes, it could be costly for drug tests. But it wouk2d be a lot cheaper for Uber and Lyft than a multi million dollar law suit for injuries caused btmy a driver on illegal drugs.
Are drug tests really effective at stopping accidents? Especially as UBER is pretty vigilant already at deactivating people for accusations of being impaired?

Would a jury hold UBER liable, are they indeed liable for the actions of non-employees? Does Uber's insurance policies cover this possibility?

I think if the lawyers and insurance companies required them to have drivers drug tested, they would be doing it already.

hrswartz

• Fingerprinting
  • A physical
  • Drug Test
All of the above for the riders also, Oh and a weapons check would be nice also... just sayin'

I apologize for the characterization but some ideas are just so much bs!

Last edited by a moderator:

I_Like_Spam

All of the above for the riders also, Oh and a weapons check would be nice also... just sayin' dipshit

I apologize for the characterization but some ideas are just so much bs!
If Uber would check out the passengers thoroughly and insist on body cavity searches for those wishing to ride, I think it would really cut down on the number of people who just want to go down to the local Taco Bell and hurt the business. They'd say, "who the hell needs this" and just buy a car or bum a ride from someone else.

In fact, if Uber DID mandate body cavity searches for riders, I don't think I'd want to meet those riders who were agreeing to it.

hrswartz

To the moderator... I apologize for the language and you were right to remove it. Some things members post here are so outrageous but again it doesn't make name calling right. Sorry... walking away with my tail between my legs head hung down snot drippin' from my nose...

Uberfunitis

I could see requiring fingerprints and a physical. We are operating thousands of pounds of equipment on the streets, I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that your driver is not likely to fall over during a trip.

As to vehicle size I would much rather have the ability as a passenger to put parameters in my profile like vehicle less than 3 years less than x milage. Must have leather etc sure the more picky you are the longer you may have to wait but I see no reason that should concern Uber any as it would not really cost them anything.

hrswartz

I could see requiring fingerprints and a physical. We are operating thousands of pounds of equipment on the streets, I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that your driver is not likely to fall over during a trip.

As to vehicle size I would much rather have the ability as a passenger to put parameters in my profile like vehicle less than 3 years less than x milage. Must have leather etc sure the more picky you are the longer you may have to wait but I see no reason that should concern Uber any as it would not really cost them anything.
But WHY? There are numerous 80-90 year old men and women driving heavier cars and trucks on the roads with greater diminished capabilities than an Uber/Lyft driver. I live near a lot of over 55 communities and, brother, some of the nonsense I see... why oh why do you think more regulation on drivers is beneficial? I just don't get it... more drivers are harmed by riders than the other way around... additionally when have you EVER heard of a driver "falling over" while at the wheel? You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I would encourage you to put some thought into it... just opining myself...

Uberfunitis

But WHY? There are numerous 80-90 year old men and women driving heavier cars and trucks on the roads with greater diminished capabilities than an Uber/Lyft driver... I live near a lot of over 55 communities and, brother, some of the nonsense I see... why oh why do you think more regulation on drivers is beneficial? I just don't get it... more drivers are harmed by riders than the other way around... additionally when have you EVER heard of a driver "falling over" while at the wheel? You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I would encourage you to put some thought into it... just opining myself...
Physical exams are required for truck drivers for much the same reasons as I posted.

hrswartz

I ain't drivin' a truck... ok mom also said when you argue with a f@@l you ultimately wind up not being able to identify the f@@ll

Uberfunitis

I ain't drivin' a truck... ok mom also said when you argue with a f@@l you ultimately wind up not being able to identify the f@@ll
If you drive for compensation and especially if you transport people for compensation it is not unreasonable to expect them to undergo a physical exam and a drug test as well.

hrswartz

Is it unreasonable to have to declare that your an Uber Corporate employee? No SELF-RESPECTING driver would pontificate quite like you! I suspect your some sort of a hack for corporate... just sayin'

Uberfunitis

Is it unreasonable to have to declare that your an Uber Corporate employee? No SELF-RESPECTING driver would pontificate quite like you! I suspect your some sort of a hack for corporate... just sayin'
It is not unreasonable to declare that you are a uber corporate employee if you are one..... I am not one though.

I see no reason why a self respecting driver who also happens to be a self respecting passenger would not want some standards when it comes to safety on the road.

As a passenger it only makes sense to want your driver to be vetted and medically sound when driving you for compensation.

As a driver it only makes sense to want higher standards that are easily achieved by yourself and would lower the number of drivers around you thus reducing your competition for passengers.

As Uber corporate it makes no sense at all to do anything above what is minimally required because their entire business plan revolves on super saturation of a market with ants just waiting for a crumb.

You Sir have no idea what you are talking about..... just sayin'

hrswartz

You have confirmed my suspicions and will ignore any further comments you might post... SIR (I use that term very, very loosely!)
just lettin' you know...

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Uber has had to lower the bar by a wide wide margin in the last several years.

You can sign up to drive in 2019 with a car that wasn't eligible in 2014.

Having them raise the bar will decimate their drivers.