A letter to rideshare HQ

ubermaster5000

In the 2 years I drove rideshare, I maintained an exceptionally high driver's rating (4.99 on Lyft and 4.95+ on Uber) after thousands of rides given, maintained a near perfect driving record, and got tips on maybe 65% to 70% of all my drives. Needless to say, my rideshare accolades sparkle and I must be in one form or another a valuable asset to rideshare HQ. I took safety and the customer experiance very seriously and rarely ever messed up my routes. Yet all this extra effort I put in only equated to high driver's ratings, some nice badges on my driver's profile, and some tips to help me pay for my gas, unlimited data for my phone and car insurance which I needed anyways to drive for rideshare...

Ultimately, there is nothing there to retain me so I am moving on. And moving on I have... I already have 2 jobs both with bright futures, great pay, benefits, 401k, and a fun working environment.

Rideshare is a meat grinder with a high turnover. This model works great assuming there's an infinite amount of people that want to get their side hussle on making less than a dollar per mile.

In the long run, AI and self driving cars is going displace a majority of the work force anyways so why should I continue down a path that inevitably leads to a dead end? I asked myself that after Uber and Lyft lowered the rates a few months back so I took appropriate measures to protect myself.

It's too bad cause I really enjoyed rideshare. If I could have made a career out of it I would have but then again I also felt like I was playing Russian roulette every time I went online to I drive pax around 100+ miles a day on the highways in the greater Boston area. All it takes is a momentary lapse in attention or some #@%& driving under the influence and game over. I don't feel like I was being paid adequately for the extra risk. Let's not forget that road related fatalities kill more people every year in America than most anything else. According to the Google machine, in 2010 there were over 35,000 people who died in road related incidents and 2.2 million injuries in America alone. That makes rideshare one of the most dangerous gigs on the planet. There is no room for error in the rideshare gig.

I'm sure this thread is going to irritate a lot of ambition drivers out there getting their gig slavin' on but I wanted to just tell it as it is. So Rideshare HQ, thank you for the opportunity to represent your company in such a positive maner despite me not being an actual employee for said company. I served you well. I am moving on the greener pastures now.

Last edited:

Matty72

dude, honestly...who cares if you stay or go? ('this is obviously Uber's attitude - you are one of millions of worker ants to them) I personally never viewed it as a full time gig, but a side job without having a side schedule/hours/boss/etc.. I get how some people have turned it into a full time job - but IMHO that was never rideshares focus - but they have been forced to address this issues as the platform matures

on a side note - down the road ride-share companies WILL start valuing its top drivers when it gets whittled down to a select few - but by then its too late for most current drivers

correct on the automation aspect, but that is still 15-20 years away from mass adoption in major cities (due to govt regulation - and even then it will require humans to be in the self driving cars for years until actuaries can actually point to the vast, irrefutable data that shows it is indeed safer)

congrats on the new jobs!

smooth ride

I wish you the best in your future endeavors, but your getting pathetic with your need for adulation. Your getting as bad as our Asian YouTube friend who can’t let Uber go. You must have nightmares of Uber, cause they’re definitely in your head. You made some money and decided to move on. Stop with the pity party.

ubermaster5000

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep that in mind on your drive to work everyday. Regardless of rideshare, it can happen to anyone.
It's true, good point
Post automatically merged:

I wish you the best in your future endeavors, but your getting pathetic with your need for adulation. Your getting as bad as our Asian YouTube friend who can’t let Uber go. You must have nightmares of Uber, cause they’re definitely in your head. You made some money and decided to move on. Stop with the pity party.
It's just valid criticism that might be useful to rideshare HQ. The folks at rideshare HQ making all the major decisions are disconnect from the driver experience. Therein lies the problem. Their apathy towards the drivers whom actually provide the service and generate all the profits is worthy of speaking up about.

Last edited:

Tnasty

I'm glad I have a new job that's providing training, but the hours are overnights and I miss going home when I feel like it.

AuxCordBoston

In the 2 years I drove rideshare, I maintained an exceptionally high driver's rating (4.99 on Lyft and 4.95+ on Uber) after thousands of rides given, maintained a near perfect driving record, and got tips on maybe 65% to 70% of all my drives. Needless to say, my rideshare accolades sparkle and I must be in one form or another a valuable asset to rideshare HQ. I took safety and the customer experiance very seriously and rarely ever messed up my routes. Yet all this extra effort I put in only equated to high driver's ratings, some nice badges on my driver's profile, and some tips to help me pay for my gas, unlimited data for my phone and car insurance which I needed anyways to drive for rideshare...

Ultimately, there is nothing there to retain me so I am moving on. And moving on I have... I already have 2 jobs both with bright futures, great pay, benefits, 401k, and a fun working environment.

Rideshare is a meat grinder with a high turnover. This model works great assuming there's an infinite amount of people that want to get their side hussle on making less than a dollar per mile.

In the long run, AI and self driving cars is going displace a majority of the work force anyways so why should I continue down a path that inevitably leads to a dead end? I asked myself that after Uber and Lyft lowered the rates a few months back so I took appropriate measures to protect myself.

It's too bad cause I really enjoyed rideshare. If I could have made a career out of it I would have but then again I also felt like I was playing Russian roulette every time I went online to I drive pax around 100+ miles a day on the highways in the greater Boston area. All it takes is a momentary lapse in attention or some #@%& driving under the influence and game over. I don't feel like I was being paid adequately for the extra risk. Let's not forget that road related fatalities kill more people every year in America than most anything else. According to the Google machine, in 2010 there were over 35,000 people who died in road related incidents and 2.2 million injuries in America alone. That makes rideshare one of the most dangerous gigs on the planet. There is no room for error in the rideshare gig.

I'm sure this thread is going to irritate a lot of ambition drivers out there getting their gig slavin' on but I wanted to just tell it as it is. So Rideshare HQ, thank you for the opportunity to represent your company in such a positive maner despite me not being an actual employee for said company. I served you well. I am moving on the greener pastures now.
Finally! Someone said it!!!

Mvlab

Very true, hmm..

It's about 25 to 35 minutes depending on traffic. I'm mostly going against the flow of traffic.
That's what I do now usually, after that " 90 days of change" or whatever they called it. It takes extra 15-25 min and usually I get around $15, just enough for gas and a burger.

john1975

Thanks for reaching out to Uber support! We understand your concerns. We hope to continue to make your experience rewarding. Hope this helps.
Regards
Pmwarshi

Riser

dude, honestly...who cares if you stay or go? ('this is obviously Uber's attitude - you are one of millions of worker ants to them) I personally never viewed it as a full time gig, but a side job without having a side schedule/hours/boss/etc.. I get how some people have turned it into a full time job - but IMHO that was never rideshares focus - but they have been forced to address this issues as the platform matures

on a side note - down the road ride-share companies WILL start valuing its top drivers when it gets whittled down to a select few - but by then its too late for most current drivers

correct on the automation aspect, but that is still 15-20 years away from mass adoption in major cities (due to govt regulation - and even then it will require humans to be in the self driving cars for years until actuaries can actually point to the vast, irrefutable data that shows it is indeed safer)

congrats on the new jobs!
Tesla will soon (a month or two) roll out their full self driving update to their current cars which will enable them to drive in the city as well. So it's really 15-20 MONTHS away at this point. Maybe five years tops. Either way, this gig has an expiration date on it that's looming ever closer.