A Kia Optima is a Select Vehicle?!?

rhodytarheel

I'm very confused. Been doing this about 3 months. About 2 weeks ago, had a fare that seemed higher than I expected. Went in to review it, and saw it was a Select fare Hmm...I drive a 2014 Kia Optima, base model (no leather, etc). Pax never complained however.

While I liked the higher fare, assumed it had to be a mistake and didn't want to piss off PAX expecting a better vehicle, risk bad ratings, etc. Emailed Uber, first response was that yes, my account was not set up properly and they'd fix it.

Fast forward to this weekend, same thing happens. Took one Select fare, fairly certain this one was a bad rating. Declined a couple more that night. Email Uber again, but this time get this response:

"Upon checking, we currently doesn't have an option for X only trips. Since your vehicle is eligible for Select option, it'll automatically be added to the options that riders will see. Your car being an Optima has nothing to do with your rating. As long as you can provide them good customer service, you have nothing to worry about. In fact you have a very high rating as of this moment. Keep up the good work."

So a Kia Optima is a Select vehicle? Who knew. But I still don't buy it.

What do I do? Just go with it and not worry about it?

Dahkei

I think I responded to your post several weeks ago about this in another thread outside of the RDU forum. Uber lowered the standard a while ago for Select. If ratings are more important to you than earnings then just don't take the Select requests. It will show SELECT at the bottom of the ping screen.
I fully agree that there should be a higher standard for Select. BUT, if you can get more then twice the X fare then why not do it. Your rating is not going to pay your bills or whatever else it is that you do with Uber money.
There are other drivers in the market that do Select with similar vehicles and don't have any major issues.

Last edited:

stuber

I think I responded to your post several weeks ago about this in another thread outside of the RDU forum. Uner had lowered the standard a while ago for Select. If ratings are more important to you than earnings then just don't take the Select requests. It will show SELECT at the bottom of the ping screen.
I fully agree that there should be a higher standard for Select. BUT, if you can get more then twice the X fare then why not do it. Your rating is not going to pay your bills or whatever else it is that you do with Uber money.
There are other drivers in the market that do Select with similar vehicles and don't have any major issues.
"Lowered the standard" would make an excellent slogan for this "not a transportation company."

Stephen

"Lowered the standard" would make an excellent slogan for this "not a transportation company."
I wish they'd lower it a bit more. I'd be driving select (with my leather seats) if they'd push the vehicle age limit back to say...8-9 years old.

WillSpiel

That is interesting that they've lowered the standards... I was in Select, emphasis on was - I haven't received a Select request in awhile. When I pull up the passenger app I not only do not see myself as Select - but I can't see any select vehicles. I need to email Uber and see whats up ... I just hate their canned, nonsense replies. It seems to take several back and forths to get a clear answer. I'm driving a 2008 that was grandfathered in when they changed the requirements late last year.

Disgusted Driver

Well folks, I drive a select car, have been doing it since they launched select roughly 18 months ago. I get fewer and fewer calls because of both the increased competition and lower standards for vehicles. Just another thing Uber has F'ed up. rhodytarheel From your perspective, grab the bucks! Dahkei is absolutely correct, stars don't pay the bills. If you get less than a 4.75 over the last 25 or so trips they'll take you off select for a week or two till you get back over 4.75 so it's a self regulating mechanism. I'd love to see them raise the standard back up to a minimum of a Chrysler 300 or Toyota Avalon as the cheapest cars on the list but that aint going to happen any time soon.

rhodytarheel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I responded to your post several weeks ago about this in another thread outside of the RDU forum. Uber lowered the standard a while ago for Select. If ratings are more important to you than earnings then just don't take the Select requests. It will show SELECT at the bottom of the ping screen.
Yes, you did reply when I posted on another board...didn't realize you were from Raleigh at the time. Thanks for the response....and I guess I'll just accept the few I get going forward....love the higher rate, obviously.

Engz

I just came up on this page. Im from NYC, I dont see Kia Optima being a Select vehicle? It says UberX in the Uber car page list.

Disgusted Driver

Pretty soon a Radio Flyer pulled behind a dog will qualify for select.
I whined about this some time ago, they have destroyed the cachet of select (or maybe I did it with my attitude) by letting in smaller cars. I'm scared though, if it's a radio flyer, I'll end up being the dog.

Last edited:

Disgusted Driver

Awesome...I want to get me some of that select money! :wink:
Maybe the grass is always greener but I would think you would do better with XL, more demand and the rates aren't that much less + more likely to surge. Then again, you probably have to deal with 6 drunk college students leaving trash in the back a lot more often than I do.

RaleighUber

Maybe the grass is always greener but I would think you would do better with XL, more demand and the rates aren't that much less + more likely to surge. Then again, you probably have to deal with 6 drunk college students leaving trash in the back a lot more often than I do.
What are surge rates these days? XL is $1.20/mile. Surged XL is worth the effort.
And yeah...the "going to clubs" and back from club crowds keep me on my toes for sure.