• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

A hypothetical driver only drives for 2 weeks.

Sy52

Let’s say that some random person began driving two weeks ago, hates it, and quits. This hypothetical person makes around $200 total, and gives less than 25 rides. What is the cheapest way this person can file taxes with minimal risk? What will Uber send to this hypothetical driver and what will Uber report to the IRS. Self employed tax software runs about $100 bucks and this hypothetical person was able to use free versions before, so what is the cheapest way this person can file taxes without taking any major risk?

Thanks.

islanddriver

Don't include it in your taxes . If Uber does sent to IRS which they won't IRS will contact you what you will owe on $200. Would be nothing or$20 or less

Seamus

If you make 20k or more from giving pax rides you get a 1099k. If you get more than $600 in bonuses, etc. you get a 1099misc. If you don’t get a 1099k or misc from them then they reported nothing to the IRS on you individually as the 1099 is the reporting vehicle. Keep in mind if the IRS audits them they could discover you received money. On $200 the risk is low but of course it also depends on the rest of your tax situation.

Older Chauffeur

Tax evasion- that’s what they got Al Capone on.:laugh: Seriously, with that low gross, and allowing for mileage and cellphone deductions, your tax will be nominal. TurboTax Deluxe CD has included all schedules you need at around $40 at Costco and other discount stores. You won’t even have to pay self employment taxes if your net profits are under the $400 threshold.
Disclaimer: I’m not a tax professional.

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

Let’s say that some random person began driving two weeks ago, hates it, and quits. This hypothetical person makes around $200 total, and gives less than 25 rides. What is the cheapest way this person can file taxes with minimal risk? What will Uber send to this hypothetical driver and what will Uber report to the IRS. Self employed tax software runs about $100 bucks and this hypothetical person was able to use free versions before, so what is the cheapest way this person can file taxes without taking any major risk?

Thanks.
Don’t ask for, nor accept Tax, Legal and Financial advice from Entry Level Ground Transportation providers ✔

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Thanks.
There is free software to do self employed, i forget what it was but it does exist.

Report your income as revenue and your miles driven as expenses using the standard mileage rate.

If you can't get free software than write up your revenue as pay and ignore the expenses and pay less in taxes on that income than the tax software would run you.

Sy52

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is free software to do self employed, i forget what it was but it does exist.

Report your income as revenue and your miles driven as expenses using the standard mileage rate.

If you can't get free software than write up your revenue as pay and ignore the expenses and pay less in taxes on that income than the tax software would run you.
My hypothetical friend appreciates your advice. This individual was not looking to avoid paying the few cents in the taxes of $200, but simply to avoid any more headache than necessary.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

My hypothetical friend appreciates your advice. This individual was not looking to avoid paying the few cents in the taxes of $200, but simply to avoid any more headache than necessary.
My hypothetical friend is glad that your hypothetical friend got out of ridesharing after only a couple of weeks.

And honestly, the tax software could end up being more than you made, so i would really look into a free one for ICs

KK2929

Thanks.
------------------------------
As other posters have stated, If Uber does not supply a 1099-k or 1099-misc, do not worry about it. Uber does not mail, you get it off the website.
If you owe taxes the IRS will notify you. If you do not have the 1099's mentioned, do not report on your taxes. JMO

Wildgoose

Thanks.
Use an on line tax claim software and copy those data into a tax claim file which is available free in any library.

Seamus

um, minimum income to generate a 1099 from a single company is $600.
Not true. Depends on the type of 1099, there are different types of 1099’s. Uber and Lyft classify themselves for tax purposes as a “payment processor” only for driving pax around revenue. That classification is a 1099k and the minimum threshold is 20k. You must not have done taxes yet for driving rideshare or you would know you don’t get a 1099k for under 20k of pax driving income.

percy_ardmore

If you get a form, you'll have to report something on a tax return. See if there is a local AARP free tax prep service somewhere in your area.

Mrs Uber Bastid

The IRS takes the position that regardless of whether or not you “get a form” reporting income you earned as an independent contractor, you are required to report that income.
And, I take the position that I am old as @@@@, and if the IRS wants to spend a hundred hours and ten years to collect on the $1000 I made by quilting and driving on every first Sunday of the month, they can come and chase me.
I bet I will die before they get paid.

Know what I mean?