A 2 minute walk

CynCity

So I felt the need to share this cancellation of mine I had tonight.

I got a request at 12:30am to pick someone up about 5 mins away. I arrive at the house, start a timer, and text the rider after a min goes by. They don't reply or come outside and sure enough their 5 mins expires, so I leave and collect my $4.

Later out of curiosity I look at the receipt to see if it would've been a long trip or not. I kid you not, their destination was literally 8 houses down, 450ft away. A literal 2 minute walk. It actually made me laugh lol. I was pretty glad they never showed up so I got 4 bucks instead of 2. I do realize it's a small amount of money, but still, every dollar counts for me right now lol

Have I missed something recently? I thought there was a "minimum fare"?? I haven't been driving much the last 2-3 months, only doing what I needed to avoid deactivation, and I've noticed a lot of very low payouts for short trips, as low as $2.40. I'm feeling a bit clueless here, but since Uber never seems to stop tweaking things, its pretty easy to miss a change now and then.

I Aint Jo Mama

Have I missed something recently? I thought there was a "minimum fare"?? I haven't been driving much the last 2-3 months, only doing what I needed to avoid deactivation, and I've noticed a lot of very low payouts for short trips, as low as $2.40. I'm feeling a bit clueless here, but since Uber never seems to stop tweaking things, its pretty easy to miss a change now and then.
$3.75 we get of the $5 cancel fee $2.40 for a short ride here in Phoenux

Tequila Jake

That's because the $5 minimum fare includes Uber's $1.80 service fee. We only get 75% (or 80% for longer-term drivers) of the remaining $3.20, leaving $2.40.

The $5 cancellation fee does not have the service fee so we get 75% of the entire $5 or $3.75. A good rule of thumb is a ride has to be more than about 5 miles to be more profitable than a 5 minute cancellation fee (depending on the cost per mile of your car, this could be up to 10 miles).

Geesh...now it makes sense. No, really it makes no cents, nor does it really make any sense at all why these [email protected]$#ng rates have gotten so low.

My vehicle gets an average of 14.5 MPG. The only reason I continue to do this at all is because my vehicle is paid for, is old enough (2006) that the registration is reasonable, and my insurance is under control. But it doesn't negate the fact that in all likelihood I'm going backwards on virtually every ride unless its in surge or a decent distance, and merely turning dollars for dollars, or less.

CarterPeerless

Rates probably aren't going up unless/until uber fails as a company. And as long as rich people are willing to fund the company's losses, it won't fail.

Kaliman

Geesh...now it makes sense. No, really it makes no cents, nor does it really make any sense at all why these [email protected]$#ng rates have gotten so low.

My vehicle gets an average of 14.5 MPG. The only reason I continue to do this at all is because my vehicle is paid for, is old enough (2006) that the registration is reasonable, and my insurance is under control. But it doesn't negate the fact that in all likelihood I'm going backwards on virtually every ride unless its in surge or a decent distance, and merely turning dollars for dollars, or less.
Which is why we should drive for FARE and not for Uber. FARE is trying to be more fair to the drivers but in order to succeed it needs more drivers to sign up and once 2,500 drivers sign up FARE will start the marketing. When FARE starts marketing I intend to stop driving for Uber completely so as to encourage the riders to move to FARE. As long as riders have the dirt cheap Uber option we the drivers are doomed.

PhoenixIdle

I've had a few of those recently. They're going less than 1/4 mile. They are standing in the heat waiting anyway. I don't get it.

I had the opposite problem last night. 1.8X surge call on Mill. Rider doesn't respond. 11 minutes goes by. Nothing. I find out it would have been a 34
Mile run to Peoria - $43.38 take home. I ended up making about that by being in surge zones the rest of the night. Came out a wash but it would have been a sweet payday.