• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

A $1,600 Uber ride? Drunk man blacks out, takes trip from W.Va. to N.J.

BurgerTiime

http//www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/02/1600_dollar_uber_ride_story.html

After a night of partying with buddies inMorgantown, W.V. last Friday , Kenny Bachman thought he had called an Uber to take him back to where he was staying near West Virginia University's campus.

Kenny Bachman called an Uber to pick him up after a day of drinking in West Virginia, and accidentally ended up taking the ride all the way to his permanent home in New Jersey.

Instead, he woke up in the passenger seat of a 2011 Honda Odyssey minivan next to an Uber driver that was taking him home. Not where he was staying with friends in West Virginia, but homehome.

Like, where he lives. In Gloucester County. More than 300 miles away.

"I just woke up," Bachman told NJ Advance Media in a phone interview. "And I'm thinking, 'Why the f--- am I in the car next to some random ass dude I don't even know?"

The price? A hefty $1,635.93.

"Afterwards I had it fully sink in," Bachman said. "Once the ride ended and I saw how much it was when I was like 'Alright, this is insane, that's just crazy.'"

A $3.94 base fare, a $2.35 booking fee, $696.95 for distance, $115.90 for time. Things were more expensive because Bachman unintentionally ordered anUberXL , which can hold up to six passengers and is exponentially more expensive than the typical UberX . Still, it would have been just $819.14 -- if not for the surge pricing, which doubled every charge except the booking fee.

Bachman says he passed out in the van and after two hours woke up to the driver telling him they were on their way to New Jersey. Couldn't he just get out of the car once he realized what was happening?

"No, because what am I, just going to get dropped off on the side of the road?" Bachman says.

The Uber driver didn't have money for tolls, Bachman says, and was fined at every tollbooth. When they did get back to New Jersey, Bachman went to a CVS in Sewell and got cash back to give him money for tolls on the way back.

Bachman got back to New Jersey safe and sound. He even gave his driver five stars. But he challenged the charge; he claims he never put in the home address for the Uber. Bachman says the driver had his phone, even having answered a FaceTime call from a friend while he was asleep.

"Obviously I sent the Uber, I don't know where to, I know I wouldn't send it to my house, I knew where I was," Bachman said. "He was on my phone, without me allowing it."

Uber confirmed that the ride did indeed occur and that the driver took the rider to the destination he requested. Uber also connected with Bachman and resolved the matter, which ended with him agreeing to pay the fare.

Last edited:

melusine3

http//www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/02/1600_dollar_uber_ride_story.html

After a night of partying with buddies inMorgantown, W.V. last Friday , Kenny Bachman thought he had called an Uber to take him back to where he was staying near West Virginia University's campus.

Kenny Bachman called an Uber to pick him up after a day of drinking in West Virginia, and accidentally ended up taking the ride all the way to his permanent home in New Jersey.

Instead, he woke up in the passenger seat of a 2011 Honda Odyssey minivan next to an Uber driver that was taking him home. Not where he was staying with friends in West Virginia, but homehome.

Like, where he lives. In Gloucester County. More than 300 miles away.

"I just woke up," Bachman told NJ Advance Media in a phone interview. "And I'm thinking, 'Why the f--- am I in the car next to some random ass dude I don't even know?"

The price? A hefty $1,635.93.

"Afterwards I had it fully sink in," Bachman said. "Once the ride ended and I saw how much it was when I was like 'Alright, this is insane, that's just crazy.'"

A $3.94 base fare, a $2.35 booking fee, $696.95 for distance, $115.90 for time. Things were more expensive because Bachman unintentionally ordered anUberXL , which can hold up to six passengers and is exponentially more expensive than the typical UberX . Still, it would have been just $819.14 -- if not for the surge pricing, which doubled every charge except the booking fee.

Bachman says he passed out in the van and after two hours woke up to the driver telling him they were on their way to New Jersey. Couldn't he just get out of the car once he realized what was happening?

"No, because what am I, just going to get dropped off on the side of the road?" Bachman says.

The Uber driver didn't have money for tolls, Bachman says, and was fined at every tollbooth. When they did get back to New Jersey, Bachman went to a CVS in Sewell and got cash back to give him money for tolls on the way back.

Bachman got back to New Jersey safe and sound. He even gave his driver five stars. But he challenged the charge; he claims he never put in the home address for the Uber. Bachman says the driver had his phone, even having answered a FaceTime call from a friend while he was asleep.

"Obviously I sent the Uber, I don't know where to, I know I wouldn't send it to my house, I knew where I was," Bachman said. "He was on my phone, without me allowing it."

Uber confirmed that the ride did indeed occur and that the driver took the rider to the destination he requested. Uber also connected with Bachman and resolved the matter, which ended with him agreeing to pay the fare.
Precisely the reason you never want to put the destination in for the rider. Never, ever.

Mars Troll Number 4

This is going to happen every day with SDVs

And the passenger was full of crap trying to scam.

How the heck did the driver put in his home address?

How did the driver KNOW his home address?

SDVs are computers that will do as they are told. Even if a drunken moron is telling them to drive them across the country.

blackpanther1

Thats why I like Uber, there is no limit to fare charge if the charge is legit, Pax ordered for him/herself, Pax was picked up at location, Pax droppof at destination, not at a 7 eleven a block from Pax destination or any other place but at the destination. And NEVER put a destination yourself. If you follow this, Uber will pay you everytime. If not, you may not get paid and the Pax eill get a very expensive ride for free at your expense.

BigBadDaddyDriver

I picked up a Pax once, very high, very drunk and they had a destination that was 550+ miles away... He fell asleep almost immediately as soon as he got in my car. I shook him awake and asked him where he really wanted to go (to his frat, which is national and the uber app for some reason chose the one in a different state...), changed the destination and took him the 3 miles there... Not only did I not have the time or inclination to drive 1000 miles, but it would have been wrong of me to defraud the guy in this way...

Where was this driver's common sense? What is his ethical obligation to help this guy not make an obvious and costly mistake? In the end the driver still had to drive 600 miles round trip (only getting paid for the first half) and Uber probably took most of the surge anyways, I wonder if he even made that much for the trip...

Mars Troll Number 4

I picked up a Pax once, very high, very drunk and they had a destination that was 550+ miles away... He fell asleep almost immediately as soon as he got in my car. I shook him awake and asked him where he really wanted to go (to his frat, which is national and the uber app for some reason chose the one in a different state...), changed the destination and took him the 3 miles there... Not only did I not have the time or inclination to drive 1000 miles, but it would have been wrong of me to defraud the guy in this way...

Where was this driver's common sense? What is his ethical obligation to help this guy not make an obvious and costly mistake? In the end the driver still had to drive 600 miles round trip (only getting paid for the first half) and Uber probably took most of the surge anyways, I wonder if he even made that much for the trip...
I wonder how often this occurs...

I know that when i'm typing in addresses on google map I often automatically get the wrong place pop up the first try.

Could be the achilles heel to self driving taxis.

People being too drunk and too stupid to operate the system without human intervention.

Yellow cab..

We make sure we know where you want to go, even if your too drunk figure it out yourself!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RideshareUSA Stories 42
Ian Richard Markham Dallas 53
4 Las Vegas 18