80-35 Festival (and downtown in general)

ptuberx

Surely I am not the one that noticed that even right before the 80-35 festival kicked off on Friday, there were a TON of Uber drivers circling around downtown in packs, hoping to land a ping. Now, I know I haven't been doing this long, but I am aware enough to notice that a lot of the people I saw were new drivers, like as of yesterday. I later heard from pax that on certain blocks they could see tons of drivers hovering around the same block they were on. I hung around the area for 20 minutes, no pings. Too many drivers, not enough demand, and after-all, at 5 pm Friday, most of the travel was incoming into the area, not outgoing... so for all these drivers to hang out in the same area for so long (I even saw two bust U-turns on one-ways...), I bailed and went out to WDSM, where at one point I had 6 consecutive drop-off/pick-up overlays. Yes, the burbs were starving this weekend... and surging at many times. Later into the night, I had a group of pax that wanted to go from WDSM to 80-35... but by then, the surge was "real" downtown, and was easy to take advantage of at that point.

I am curious why so many new drivers are allowed into certain markets. I saw the same thing happening on Saturday. I literally just went down 235 until I got my first ping in my usual spot, and went from there. Within no time at all, I had another long string of overlapping dropoffs and pickups, most not downtown, but fair enough. I don't chase surges (unless it's after 12:30 AM downtown, then it's a no-brainer), but still, I find it weird that people don't understand the concept of the hidden algorithms that Uber uses that new drivers do not educate themselves to. Like acceptance rates. If you accept some fares that might be 5 miles away, over and over, pretty soon you start getting close ones overlapping like crazy. Uber has structured their system to reward people who will accept a fare, period.

So for the night, $200 uber fares gross, but earned $212 net including tips. I'm curious how many very new drivers burnt a hole in their wallet downtown by following each other in a circle... or getting pulled over going the wrong way down a one-way street to chase a ping or a surge.

I'm not boasting, just saying, maybe if everyone just treated the system the way it was designed, it would work out better for everyone. Then again, maybe it will weed out the people who don't understand it. Just an open-ended observation on my end from what I saw this weekend.

I also heard from pax that they are sick of seeing the "tips are appreciated" signs hanging from the back of the front headrests. Treat your pax well, and they will treat you well. Throw these signs in front of them, and they get turned off by it. Just give a good drive in a clean car, and make the passenger feel good about their ride, and good things will come naturally. The last thing any of us want are passengers who bad-mouth uber drivers to their friends.

On the other hand, I have heard a lot of pax the last few days talk about either being related to an uber driver, hoping a relative becomes an uber driver, or them considering doing it themselves. I am curious to see how many Uber drivers are signing up in Des Moines before cuts get made. By my weekly report, I averaged about 265% in productivity compared to others, which also makes me think... how many drop out soon after they drop in?

Last edited:

Dback2004

I also heard from pax that they are sick of seeing the "tips are appreciated" signs hanging from the back of the front headrests. Treat your pax well, and they will treat you well. Throw these signs in front of them, and they get turned off by it. Just give a good drive in a clean car, and make the passenger feel good about their ride, and good things will come naturally.
Seems so simple, doesn't it!?

I am curious why so many new drivers are allowed into certain markets.
You gotta look at it from Uber's point of view. More drivers means shorter pax waits for a car to show up. That means happier pax. Uber does not care about it's drivers. We aren't being paid by hour, we're only being paid when there's a ride. So it costs Uber no more to have 100 drivers in an area with only 10 rides to give and 90 waiting for a ride as it does to have 20 drivers with 10 waiting and 10 in ride. That's the disgusting beauty of the guarantee scams. Tack a high enough TPH and get enough drivers out there that there are no ways that they have to pay out "free money"

WDM1wood

Surely I am not the one that noticed that even right before the 80-35 festival kicked off on Friday, there were a TON of Uber drivers circling around downtown in packs, hoping to land a ping. Now, I know I haven't been doing this long, but I am aware enough to notice that a lot of the people I saw were new drivers, like as of yesterday. I later heard from pax that on certain blocks they could see tons of drivers hovering around the same block they were on. I hung around the area for 20 minutes, no pings. Too many drivers, not enough demand, and after-all, at 5 pm Friday, most of the travel was incoming into the area, not outgoing... so for all these drivers to hang out in the same area for so long (I even saw two bust U-turns on one-ways...), I bailed and went out to WDSM, where at one point I had 6 consecutive drop-off/pick-up overlays. Yes, the burbs were starving this weekend... and surging at many times. Later into the night, I had a group of pax that wanted to go from WDSM to 80-35... but by then, the surge was "real" downtown, and was easy to take advantage of at that point.

I am curious why so many new drivers are allowed into certain markets. I saw the same thing happening on Saturday. I literally just went down 235 until I got my first ping in my usual spot, and went from there. Within no time at all, I had another long string of overlapping dropoffs and pickups, most not downtown, but fair enough. I don't chase surges (unless it's after 12:30 AM downtown, then it's a no-brainer), but still, I find it weird that people don't understand the concept of the hidden algorithms that Uber uses that new drivers do not educate themselves to. Like acceptance rates. If you accept some fares that might be 5 miles away, over and over, pretty soon you start getting close ones overlapping like crazy. Uber has structured their system to reward people who will accept a fare, period.

So for the night, $200 uber fares gross, but earned $212 net including tips. I'm curious how many very new drivers burnt a hole in their wallet downtown by following each other in a circle... or getting pulled over going the wrong way down a one-way street to chase a ping or a surge.

I'm not boasting, just saying, maybe if everyone just treated the system the way it was designed, it would work out better for everyone. Then again, maybe it will weed out the people who don't understand it. Just an open-ended observation on my end from what I saw this weekend.

I also heard from pax that they are sick of seeing the "tips are appreciated" signs hanging from the back of the front headrests. Treat your pax well, and they will treat you well. Throw these signs in front of them, and they get turned off by it. Just give a good drive in a clean car, and make the passenger feel good about their ride, and good things will come naturally. The last thing any of us want are passengers who bad-mouth uber drivers to their friends.

On the other hand, I have heard a lot of pax the last few days talk about either being related to an uber driver, hoping a relative becomes an uber driver, or them considering doing it themselves. I am curious to see how many Uber drivers are signing up in Des Moines before cuts get made. By my weekly report, I averaged about 265% in productivity compared to others, which also makes me think... how many drop out soon after they drop in?
Can you please explain "265% productivity"?

Hokie1

I agree this weekend was unusual. I was rarely downtown and spent half my time in Ankeny. The guarantees are bs. I do wish Uber would give more of a damn on their drivers. I'll be glad when I don't need uber any longer. They really need to stop advertising.

Lando74

Let ignorance prevail and take advantage of drivers who don't know any better. Posting on here about where they really should have been only makes it harder for drivers who know what they're doing. I know it sounds like a jerk thing to say, but never give drivers advice that will end up costing you lost fares. Let them keep their stupid tip signs up - it'll probably make it more likely for those of us without signs to get tipped.

Lando74

More trips and 5-star ratings compared to other "top-rated" drivers in the area, according to Uber. Now granted, that's their stats...
They like to show us graphs to make ourselves feel good.. I've often wondered how accurate the "top drivers" stats are.

image.png

Adam S

They like to show us graphs to make ourselves feel good.. I've often wondered how accurate the "top drivers" stats are.

View attachment 48247
Lando, how many hours do you log each week? I know you only drive surge rates, but how many hours do you actively drive/watch the app for driving purposes. I would guess you do it full time or more based on some of the stats you have posted on here.

Lando74

YTD I average 38 actual hours per week. $880 fares and cash, 51 trips, $23.34/hr, avg net fare $13.62, avg fare miles 8.95, fuel cost 8.33%, 1.36 billable miles per dead mile.

ptuberx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's mine after 3 weeks. Afternoon riders tip well, give compliments, etc. There seems to be always one late-night rider that kills my rating:

Screenshot_2016-07-11-14-26-22.png