$8 airport rider fee.

HAAS

I was made aware, from a rider, that Uber charges an airport fee of $8 on top of all the fares in fees.
Not certain if such constitutes valid information, however, I believe that you should be able to validate the same with your direct employment of the Uber passenger app.

Tysmith95

No, not true. Took an uber from the airport the other day, no airport fees.
It doesn't show up from the pax app, but if you look in the breakdown from airport trips from the driver app it shows a $3.25 fee that goes to Massport (it shows up as others receive).

CharlesG

It doesn't show up from the pax app, but if you look in the breakdown from airport trips from the driver app it shows a $3.25 fee that goes to Massport (it shows up as others receive).

You sure it’s not just for tolls? I took it from the airport down to revere and it seemed right besides a couple extra dollars I figured for toll.

MaineMasai

Is it possible what they saw was "fees and tolls" lumped together?
No. He said Uber told them that there is an airport fee that Uber charges and pass on to them. He said a short ride into Boston is the same price or cheaper than a taxi because taxi don't charge that fee.

I found that strange since taxis don't charge this airport pick up fee.

No, not true. Took an uber from the airport the other day, no airport fees.
Okay thanks for confirming. That guy was so credible. He sounds truthful and passionate about it too.

Jaackil

No. He said Uber told them that there is an airport fee that Uber charges and pass on to them. He said a short ride into Boston is the same price or cheaper than a taxi because taxi don't charge that fee.

I found that strange since taxis don't charge this airport pick up fee.

Okay thanks for confirming. That guy was so credible. He sounds truthful and passionate about it too.
Actually wrong on both counts. The op said the passenger made him aware of it. He did not say Uber told him.
And yes there is absolutley a charge from Massport. Take a look at your last trip summery. Where it says what uber paid and you will see an amount of $3.25 paid to others. That is the Massport fee. Taxis pay this when they pull into their staging lot I believe they pay it before they get their "ticket" to go to a terminal. They absolutley do charge the rider it is tabulated right in their meter. So that is not why uber is cheaper than a cab from the airport. It is cheaper because uner charges less per mile and minute than hackney rates.
I do not know what the rider app looks like but I am just guessing that it is possible uber lumps all of the fees together tolls service fees and airport fee and the rider assumed it was all the airport fee.

IMG_2121.jpg

Tysmith95

What probably happened, Uber charged him 8 bucks more for a trip from the airport versus a trip to the airport. Traffic/Surge/and Upfront Pricing can affect this.

My28

Question what's the demand for xl at airport. I just checked my account and it says I can do xl if I like and opted out of x rides and pool

Mad Medic

Chicago market where I drive there is only one designated pick up location for Uber at both airports, Navy Pier and McCormick Place Convention Center.

Airports have designated people just to enforce the "rules" for rideshare drivers. Rules such as a $1,000 penalty if you don't have your Uber trade dress emblem lower right windshield, airport emblem rear window and your city of Chicago Uber registration card sitting on your right side dashboard. Tickets a minimum $500 if you pick a pax up anywhere other than their designated location.

City of Chicago makes sure they receive $5.00 for every airport, Navy Pier, McCormick Place pick up. They are also receiving a smaller fee for designated pick up locations at NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA stadiums.

Also, lots of "No Stop" streets they'll ticket you for which makes it a PITA picking up or dropping off at many popular downtown restaurants and clubs. Pax wants dropped off at entrance but illegal for the Uber driver to stop. It sucks, sucks even more when their Uber force enforced it and tickets drivers.

They love complaining about us but they also love all the revenue they collect on every airport or major attraction pick up as well as driver fine revenue. O'Hare 2nd busiest airport in the U.S. so the city receives lots of $$$$$ simply allowing rideshare pick ups. We weren't even allowed to pick up pax at an airport until 2016, after the city figured out they could make money off it. Driver should recieve an extra perk (surcharge) for any airport pick up, but NO, city gets $5.00. Heck, Uber could have made it a $6.50 airport surcharge and give $5.00 to the city and a buck fifty to the driver in addition to base rate fare. Riders would still pay because continues to be much lower than a taxi.