• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

75000 Driverless Cars On The Road This Year

RadarRider

Nope, I do not want to be in a driverless car. Furthermore, if there are any on the road, I would like them to be clearly marked as such.
Yes, It is a pipe dream to get investors in. How else would you try to get people to invest in a company with a 1B loss. This is why they lifted the rules on investing. So any idiot could do it.
Post automatically merged:

ER, Just thought of something... don't forget about dim witted politicians that want to jump on the Yay green, idealistic minds with no horse sense bandwagon... They have no soul anyway... just like the AI.

Last edited:

goneubering

Nope, I do not want to be in a driverless car. Furthermore, if there are any on the road, I would like them to be clearly marked as such.
Yes, It is a pipe dream to get investors in. How else would you try to get people to invest in a company with a 1B loss. This is why they lifted the rules on investing. So any idiot could do it.

ER, Just thought of something... don't forget about dim witted politicians that want to jump on the Yay green, idealistic minds with no horse sense bandwagon... They have no soul anyway... just like the AI.
SDCs should be marked with a big sign saying Student Driver.

bonum exactoris

RideshareSpectrum

So Uber Thought.

"A presentation in January that year projected that driverless cars could become profitable for Uber in 2018, while a May report said Uber might have 13,000 self-driving taxis by 2019. Just four months later, that estimate had jumped to 75,000 vehicles."
Straight from the Uber’s mouth, at least from the mouth of one of the engineers working on this tech... it will be at least 10 years before the tech is to be truly autonomous.

NOXDriver

The only thing Uber can claim regarding autonomous vehicles is that to date, they have the only confirmed kill.

That's gotta add a zero or two to the IPO.

I mean even Google or Amazon don't have a confirmed kill yet.

Deathrace 2000 yo!

If Uber can’t turn a profit using ants driving their own Corollas and assuming all of the liability, how in the hell are they going to turn a profit with shiny new company-owned driverless vehicles?

It’s a complete fantasy, always was.
because they don’t need to pay you anymore.

80 billion revenue -25% + another 5% for cleaning fees accidents, etc.

24 billion dollars extra revenue. understand now.

Munsuta

These cars will be trashed inside by the end of the year making them completely worthless. Just think of how many passengers after 12 will act like animals knowing that their is no driver to reprimand them or charge a cleaning fee.

Ssgcraig

True 'dat !! It's just a stock play like the balance of the IT/Social Media companies that are listed. It was meant to go public from day one. Great idea, fun to drive for, but eventually, it's a zero sum game.

Off topic, but probably 1/3 of the Uber's where I drive are Corollas. I'm in a Hyundai.
Corolla and Honda where I live and one Jeep.

BigRedDriver

I remember 25 years ago, there was a chain of exercise businesses that would strap you to a chair/table and then it would move you.

The idea was that you would get the benefit of the movement, without exerting effort.

They popped up on just about every street corner, then closed within months.

Self driving cars? I give them an equal chance of surviving.

First one hacked ( and you know they will be hacker targets), and the junk yards won’t have enough room for them all.

peteyvavs

Th
Not going to happen this year or next, but it will happen eventually. Billions of dollars being spent on this technology by serious high tech companies. in another 25-30 years private ownership of cars will be the exception not the norm. (Assuming we haven't blown up the planet by that time). God help us.
That’s why I ride motorcycles.

maxroyalty1

I will make sure to urine and make myself throw up in every single self driving Uber car I order. I promise you on that. Once they ban me, I will use my wife’s account, my sons account and my parents account and do the same. Urine everywhere e

HotUberMess

because they don’t need to pay you anymore.

80 billion revenue -25% + another 5% for cleaning fees accidents, etc.

24 billion dollars extra revenue. understand now.
You know they pay us less in two years than what it costs to develop a self driving vehicle. (Also the point is seemingly lost to some, but they still require drivers in those “self-driving” cars).

tohunt4me

So Uber Thought.

"A presentation in January that year projected that driverless cars could become profitable for Uber in 2018, while a May report said Uber might have 13,000 self-driving taxis by 2019. Just four months later, that estimate had jumped to 75,000 vehicles."

Worse, imagine you are getting ready to be picked up by your self-driving Uber when you notice the seats are covered in vomit and/or urine left behind by the drunk passenger(s) before you. That would be fun.
Vomit.
Used Condoms.
Drug addict needles.

Rolling Port O Lets

Attachments