7 minute thing

Mista T

Author
A good friend of mine, who is a driver, shared with me something that I now do a lot, and thought I would pass it along.

When a pax says "I want to go here for a few minutes, will you wait for me?" Or a drive thru request. My immediate response is, "Sure, just keep in mind the 7 minute thing." They inevitably ask Whats the 7 minute thing?

"You don't know about the 7 minute rule? Well, mathematically 7 minutes is the magic number. You're paying for me to wait, and the longer it takes the more it costs. When you hit 7 minutes, it costs more to have me wait than it does to end the ride and order a new car. (So if you think you will be more than 5 minutes, you might want to cut me loose when we get there, (or just skip the drive thru))."

Drive thru... If theres more than one car in line, thats gonna be a pretty expensive burrito.

Mini marts... If you're in and out, shouldnt be any big deal.

Apartments, picking up friends... As long as you're / they're quick, shouldnt cost too much extra.

I'm careful with my wording, so I dont sound like a jerk, which leads to poor ratings. And obviously, if theres a long profitable ride AFTER the quick stop, I wont suggest they cut me loose.

This 7 minute line works REALLY well with price conscious riders, who typically count their pennies but dont care about your time.

Happy driving!

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Terrific question, here's the answer:

In my market the Base Ride cost is $1.25

The per minute cost here is $.20

6 minutes = $1.20

7 minutes = $1.40

Naturally, I'm failing to mention the $2.40 in fees added on to a new ride over here, and that they may be waiting 5-10 min for a new driver, lol.

Coachman

I say something similar.
"Sure, I don't mind waiting, BUT, if I don't move the car in five minutes Uber will cancel the ride. I don't have any control over it. It's a safety thing: keeps drivers from running the time up after you get out of the car."
I just drive in circles around the parking lot so Uber won't cancel the ride.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
that 7 mins can cost me another trip.
Maybe. Maybe you cancel and sit on your azz for 15 mins not getting a ride. Or maybe by waiting 5 minutes you keep a rockin 30 min ride by helping your pax. Maybe you send the pax away and get a monster surge ride. Who knows. Gotta judge each scenario on its own merits, right?

SuzeCB

Uber is actually going to start a program where pacses can request a stop along the way in their trip when they request the trip. I heard this from the CSR and I groaned, and he was quick to explain to me that it is not going to be stops for them to run into the store or for them to go through the drive-through. It will be specifically to drop someone off along the way that's in the car, or pick someone up who will be expected to be there within 2 minutes. We will get paid for those two minutes and wait time, if applicable. Not that we get compensated enough for time, but...

Customers will only be able to request one additional stop. Anything past that will be at driver discretion, and Uber will not hold it against the driver if a customer complains that the driver didn't want to make more than one stop.

This is actually a really good thing for us. Right now, if we don't want to make that stop through the drive-thru or whatever, the packs down rates us for it. This way, we can tell them that this is an Uber rule that they are asking us to break. That our GPS is checked from time to time randomly, and we could be held accountable for costing Uber money. Yes, there will be an additional, though nominal, charge for an additional stop, and we will share in it.

Grahamcracker

A good friend of mine, who is a driver, shared with me something that I now do a lot, and thought I would pass it along.

When a pax says "I want to go here for a few minutes, will you wait for me?" Or a drive thru request. My immediate response is, "Sure, just keep in mind the 7 minute thing." They inevitably ask Whats the 7 minute thing?

"You don't know about the 7 minute rule? Well, mathematically 7 minutes is the magic number. You're paying for me to wait, and the longer it takes the more it costs. When you hit 7 minutes, it costs more to have me wait than it does to end the ride and order a new car. (So if you think you will be more than 5 minutes, you might want to cut me loose when we get there, (or just skip the drive thru))."

Drive thru... If theres more than one car in line, thats gonna be a pretty expensive burrito.

Mini marts... If you're in and out, shouldnt be any big deal.

Apartments, picking up friends... As long as you're / they're quick, shouldnt cost too much extra.

I'm careful with my wording, so I dont sound like a jerk, which leads to poor ratings. And obviously, if theres a long profitable ride AFTER the quick stop, I wont suggest they cut me loose.

This 7 minute line works REALLY well with price conscious riders, who typically count their pennies but dont care about your time.

Happy driving!
I like the strategy. However, it's not accurate in my market. 22 cents a minute verses $6.20 base fee.

ShinyAndChrome

Simply the app should allow a "stop" option for stuff like mcdonalds at which they are charged 3x the normal per minute. Normal per minute is to account for time in slow traffic but at a drive through you are not even moving, so you make almost nothing per minute. Just have a drive thru button and it jacks the fare up.

PTUber

Uber is actually going to start a program where pacses can request a stop along the way in their trip when they request the trip. I heard this from the CSR and I groaned, and he was quick to explain to me that it is not going to be stops for them to run into the store or for them to go through the drive-through. It will be specifically to drop someone off along the way that's in the car, or pick someone up who will be expected to be there within 2 minutes. We will get paid for those two minutes and wait time, if applicable. Not that we get compensated enough for time, but...

Customers will only be able to request one additional stop. Anything past that will be at driver discretion, and Uber will not hold it against the driver if a customer complains that the driver didn't want to make more than one stop.

This is actually a really good thing for us. Right now, if we don't want to make that stop through the drive-thru or whatever, the packs down rates us for it. This way, we can tell them that this is an Uber rule that they are asking us to break. That our GPS is checked from time to time randomly, and we could be held accountable for costing Uber money. Yes, there will be an additional, though nominal, charge for an additional stop, and we will share in it.
Lyft already has this feature.

M.209

Lyft already has this feature.
No stop in In-n-Out. Even with lyft multistops options. It takes at least 15 min in a line.

Similar to traffic conditions.

Rating system is "complex" - 1 to 5 stars. Why not not to make "complex" calculation while in traffic or , for example, in In-n-Out?