Uber Drivers Forum banner

If Uber drop the rates to .65 cents a mile, will you quit as a driver?

.65 cents a mile in Phoenix...anytime now! WE need to do something!!!

13K views 151 replies 39 participants last post by  ACHUMA 
#1 · (Edited)
So, as most of you have already seen, Detroit rates are only .30 cents a mile and most markets fashion below .80 cents a mile which means we're on the verge of .65 cents a mile conundrum. My question, what do we do? Do we sit around and kindly take it up the butt or do we stand the ****kk up and make some noise? We need a united front...we need to make a statement, and we do need to do this very quickly. If you're a pessimist and defeatist, please do not reply to my thread, I need suggestions, questions, and concerns from real leaders who honestly have some sort of ideas on what we need to do about this dilemma.

#118 ·
Wonderful plan, but where the hell do you expect me to gather 100 foot soldiers and 20 kamikaze drivers who are willing to die(get deactivated) for the cause?
There are alot of pissed off drivers that would be willing to strike . Why not use this forum ? You can count me in. I bet alot of cabbied would join as well . As far as drivers that are willing to get deacti ated i see alot of drivers have quit for good with the low rates and they would not care . You only need a few of those people. People requesting rides and can elling dont have to be drivers so they dont have to worry about being deactivated ... if they are drivers just have them make a seperate rider account under a new name link to a paypal account and should not affect their driver account at all .

#121 ·
I can be one of the kamikaze drivers. Whatever I need to do so that uber drivers in Phoenix, and hopefully all of the place can get what they're owed. A little pay increase is all we ask for. I don't care at this point. We need a plan, and do it very quickly.

#119 ·
So, as most of you have already seen, Detroit rates are only .30 cents a mile and most markets fashion below .80 cents a mile which means we're on the verge of .65 cents a mile conundrum. My question, what do we do? Do we sit around and kindly take it up the butt or do we stand the ****kk up and make some noise? We need a united front...we need to make a statement, and we do need to do this very quickly. If you're a pessimist and defeatist, please do not reply to my thread, I need suggestions, questions, and concerns from real leaders who honestly have some sort of ideas on what we need to do about this dilemma.
I wrote Senator Matt Salmon and another driver wrote Gov Ducey on the problems lower fares will cause, mainly a big shortage of drivers and more DUIs for people, not to mention drivers that can't speak English and really shouldn't be doing anything. I havent heard anything. There's not a lot we can do. We are IC's and really have no rights except I have a hard time believing an attorney or Attorney General somewhere can't go after these guys. There are FB groups here a lot of us are members of, and we are all bracing for a rate cut after the Phx Open. I am warning new drivers that I get when I take a ride, and I am telling people that know FT drivers to start looking for a real job- this isn't going to cut it, especially with the very slow summer slowly approaching. Sadly a lot of drivers, especially noobs, are not in any of the FB groups and are CLUELESS. I've met a few. They have no idea a rate cut is coming until I tell them and theyre astonished that the fares can actually go lower. I support striking but the spineless, evil jackasses at UBER HQ are the ones that should be right in the midst of it. The office here, John Hamby and the others, are powerless and really don't care. Ive met them all. Theyre tokens, that's it. UBER wont change anything and wont stop taking advantage of drivers unless people just stop driving and get something else. No UBER X anywhere will force UBER to reconsider. I cant imagine a lot of drivers are going to be driving after the next rate cut. I am glad I have a regular FT job so I can stop this. I will do LYFT only and just do it enough to stay active. And yes, I agree with the poster that there are a lot of retirees with paid-off cars that do this to get out and really don't care about the $$-silly and I don't get it.

#120 ·
Let us not alienate any drivers(whether English is first language or not). We need solidarity amongst drivers. I'm glad you've written to the Senator and I hope you hear back from him, as well I hope your buddy hears from the Governor.
I've already lined up a day job starting the 1st of February, however, I'm down to be part of this cause, whatever needs be done to get what's ours.

#122 ·
Let us not alienate any drivers(whether English is first language or not). We need solidarity amongst drivers.
Agree. But his other 2 points are right on target - shortage of drivers and increased DUI's. And since the AG's office and Uber currently are having a love fest that might put pressure not to lower rates. My guess rate cut decisions are made on a national not local level so any actions (letters, protest's, etc.)prob won't make any impact. And he's right about the folks on Broadway they're just puppets.

#123 ·
I used to work for the State, during Brewer's tenure, I swear they love DUI's...it's a money-maker for them. Everyone gets paid including lawyers, third-party companies that minister breathalyzers, courts, even tent city. As far as puppets, or I should say muppets on Broadway, they can eat cow poop!

#124 ·
I think we need to find a voice in a CPA or other credentialed tax professional who can make a good case for the impact on drivers. As I understand it, at about 70 cents a mile, our share falls below 56 cents per mile (the 2016 cost deductible on Schedule C) and it will be almost impossible to make the case to the IRS that we are acting as a for-profit business. If you can't, you have to claim the full 1099 income but are very limited in what you can deduct as expenses.

I think a CPA can make the case to Uber that this jeopardizes their business model of independent contractors.

Does anyone know a tax pro who can verify this and help make the case to Uber?

#125 ·
I think we need to find a voice in a CPA or other credentialed tax professional who can make a good case for the impact on drivers. As I understand it, at about 70 cents a mile, our share falls below 56 cents per mile (the 2016 cost deductible on Schedule C) and it will be almost impossible to make the case to the IRS that we are acting as a for-profit business. If you can't, you have to claim the full 1099 income but are very limited in what you can deduct as expenses.

I think a CPA can make the case to Uber that this jeopardizes their business model of independent contractors.

Does anyone know a tax pro who can verify this and help make the case to Uber?
There seem to be enough people on this forum as there are over 3k views on this thread alone, but it seems like no one wants to come forward and help out with what we're trying to do here. I know for a fact someone on this forum has some sort of connection in this god forsaken state. Its ridiculous!

#129 ·
I just heard that February 5th, the rates are going to drop to somewhere between 65 and $0. $0.75 per mile in Phoenix. The person I heard it from would not reveal his source, but said it is very reliable. For what that's worth

#132 ·
I just heard that February 5th, the rates are going to drop to somewhere between 65 and $0. $0.75 per mile in Phoenix. The person I heard it from would not reveal his source, but said it is very reliable. For what that's worth
That will be game over for me. I've already "quit" and only driven for Lyft then monetary needs forced me to turn Uber back on. That being said, I'm already operating at a loss, trading my vehicles mileage for weekly deposits.
Rate goes any lower here there is simply no way. Working a shit job at the mall will then be better

#133 ·
Take this with a huge grain of salt. A "new member" suddenly has insider information but cant give any details but wants us to believe his "source" is "very reliable"?

They did their second round of cuts on the 29th, PHX market not affected but Tuscon was. Why wouldnt they have done it then? Why Tuscon but not PHX if they were going to cut rates here?

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'm not worried about it. This is probably a taxi driver trying to scare people into already stop driving, just blowin' smoke up your rear cleavage.

If it happens then I'll eat my words.

#143 · (Edited)
I'm 100% voting for Sanders.
I like him, but I worry he won't make it to Inauguration Day.

Everyone else is WAY to close to Wall Street for my tastes.

There has to be a seismic shift in the way politics, money and influence are allowed to freely operate in Washington, our state capitals and local city halls.

#147 ·
Add other services to your business. Last night I made $58 in 3 hours on DoorDash with only 47 miles driven.

DoorDash is only in the east valley for now so isn't for everybody. But I'm sure there are other options all over.
Good for you Jake, glad you're making money but I would never do deliveries of food. My car is a little too nice :)

#148 ·
One of the main problems is Phoenix is full of retired people whose car is paid for and are doing this just to get out of the house. I've talked to many who are having fun meeting people and are driving just for something to do.
Same as it always was. But now the retired guys don't to run as illegal gypsies. Now they have Uber. Thanks Governor Ducey.

#149 ·
You could get commercial plates and a weights and measures tag. Do your own livery business. You can start it for under $500. This will be a tough road getting business with Uber being so cheap.
There's fierce competition in the commercial prearranged world too. It's maybe 10% of the overall for hire market.

I'm doing ok. Not great, but decent. It takes a 3 to 5 years to build the clientele and driver network I need for coverage.

Just starting year 3. We'll see.

Tonight I'm on a three hour charter. Pays $180+. This morning I had two airport runs that totalled $200.00. So about $400 to $450 for the day. Not bad, for Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.