• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

57 scooters and bikes found in river!!

Stevie The magic Unicorn

This whole mess should have been stopped after one month in one city...

Attrition will make that business model impossible,

And it shows.

The things idiots invest in...

At a certain point you have to take a step back and go...

Am i genius or a total $(%*%&%&% &$ ( &^%()#(*%?

I for one am not worried about scooter rentals doing anything but giving me one more thing i'm worried about, running something or someone over who is being stupid...

Buck-a-mile

Post automatically merged:

A four-month experiment with the e-scooters last year was successful but also generated 6,000 complaints and raised questions about pedestrian safety and the impact of the devices on public spaces like parks. The city said the scooters also led to 176 medical center visits.
They have been in San Diego for over a year. I personally have witnessed some pretty nasty accidents down by the port. One guy hit the railroad tracks, went down and came back up with no front teeth. Ouch.
Several deaths, major accidents weekly.

If you couldn't ride a skateboard when you were a kid, why do you think you can ride a motorized one at fifty?

mbd

A four-month experiment with the e-scooters last year was successful but also generated 6,000 complaints and raised questions about pedestrian safety and the impact of the devices on public spaces like parks. The city said the scooters also led to 176 medical center visits.
How many lawyers did they find 😁

Uber_Dubler

The shelf life on the scooters is months..batteries and all for use...it is a scam until they create a scooter rugged enough to last more than a few months without taking a loss. Its all like Uber and Lyft, just a front to shine people on into investment.

Each scooter brings a loss currently, even if driven on the smoothest of streets and parked correctly. Pathedic
As long as Uber doesn't have to pay drivers for scooter rentals, they will view it as a WIN.

XLnoGas

It’s actually worst than you think. The average life span is about 28 days.
Source? I use to work at Bird as an in house mechanic, not the independent gig. We had scooters that were dumped in the beach, tagged graffiti, even one wrapped entirely with duct tape.

They definitely were making profits, at least here in San Diego. The scooters cost about $200 to make. You only need 200 people to lock/unlock it to break even. 5 a day for 40 days.

WindyCityAnt

Whoops! My bad. :biggrin::biggrin::p

waldowainthrop

They definitely were making profits, at least here in San Diego. The scooters cost about $200 to make. You only need 200 people to lock/unlock it to break even. 5 a day for 40 days.
… and your wages as a mechanic, and administrative/technical overhead, and marketing, and a lot of other costs besides the physical cost of the hardware. I’m not saying there is no money in the business whatsoever – but those scooters have to last way longer than a month on average on the road to make a profit. I don’t know what the average utilization of a scooter is but I hope it’s better than 40 days to break even on the hardware purchase cost after accounting for the ones that get knocked out of service early.

XLnoGas

… and your wages as a mechanic, and administrative/technical overhead, and marketing, and a lot of other costs besides the physical cost of the hardware. I’m not saying there is no money in the business whatsoever – but those scooters have to last way longer than a month on average on the road to make a profit. I don’t know what the average utilization of a scooter is but I hope it’s better than 40 days to break even on the hardware purchase cost after accounting for the ones that get knocked out of service early.
I hear ya . Yea 40 days was just me guessing one scooter gets enough traffic for 5 unlocks a day.

You’re probably right though on the average life, was just curious for a source. People slam them down on the ground, leave them hanging off the curbs for cars to run over, and just being outside all day in markets that get a lot of rain.

They had to change their launch model (365) due to being way too fragile. Changing the tires from air tires to hard plastic.. Changing the body style to conceal the brake cables (people were cutting them, go figure) Manual brakes to electronic brakes.. Oh and someone could literally buy a hacked ‘brain’ (the handlebar part) off of eBay which would enable you to put it on any scooter effectively letting you have your own scooter ‘off the grid’

Oh and a funny side note, these ‘365’ scooters catch on fire if you charge them when the battery pack has a puncture and gets wet.

all those home chargers people have, charging them overnight.. we actually had to unplug every ‘365’ (their launch model) at the end of every day.

“Sure, make $5 charging a scooter while potentially burning your house down, all for $5” /sarcasm

Last edited:

peteyvavs

Scooters will rise and take their revenge a matter of days!! They will avenge all you lake tossers!

View attachment 350829

View attachment 350830
Now if only the ass holes who ride these things could be floating along side, that’ll send a message with real impact.

This whole mess should have been stopped after one month in one city...

Attrition will make that business model impossible,

And it shows.

The things idiots invest in...

At a certain point you have to take a step back and go...

Am i genius or a total $(%*%&%&% &$ ( &^%()#(*%?

I for one am not worried about scooter rentals doing anything but giving me one more thing i'm worried about, running something or someone over who is being stupid...
Lets start a new game, run down the aholes who ride these things.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Come to Florida, you’ll see these guys being used as hood ornaments.
In Seattle we have a lot of incidents of folks mistaking their accelerator for their brake...or just being baked out of their mind.

Skateboard Man is very brave...and of course a tech worker heading into either Facebook or Amazon HQs

(Weed is legal here.)