• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

56 mile trip, former driver, no tip (yet)

Benjamin M

Didn't have many pings today and I was actually getting ready to quit for the night. Then a 45+ minute ping, hell yeah! My car guzzles fuel downtown, sips it on the interstate.

Turned out to be a truck driver whose truck broke down in Alabama. He had to take Greyhound back to VA but was tired of the busses being delayed so used Uber for the remainder.

Got to talking, he drove U/L full time for around six months prior to becoming a trucker. Swapped stories and such. Then he mentioned sending his 14 year old son to school via Uber and somehow didn't know that was against policy. :eek:

45 mpg on the return trip but I'm still waiting on that tip! Hoping a former driver doesn't screw me 😂

Jake Air

Didn't have many pings today and I was actually getting ready to quit for the night. Then a 45+ minute ping, hell yeah! My car guzzles fuel downtown, sips it on the interstate.

Turned out to be a truck driver whose truck broke down in Alabama. He had to take Greyhound back to VA but was tired of the busses being delayed so used Uber for the remainder.

Got to talking, he drove U/L full time for around six months prior to becoming a trucker. Swapped stories and such. Then he mentioned sending his 14 year old son to school via Uber and somehow didn't know that was against policy. :eek:

45 mpg on the return trip but I'm still waiting on that tip! Hoping a former driver doesn't screw me 😂
I'm not sure how many pax I've driven who have brought up that they were former or are current drivers.
You want to guess how many have tipped me??
If you guess zero, then.....

file.jpg

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure how many pax I've driven who have brought up that they were former or are current drivers.
You want to guess how many have tipped me??
If you guess zero, then.....

View attachment 322139
Had a former part time driver last week, $5. Likely because his wife was loud and hammered, pretty short trip

Ssgcraig

Why is not tipping screwing you? Tipping is not mandatory, it's something people do when the service is outstanding.

Last edited:

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is not tipping screwing you? Tipping is not mandatory, it's something people do when the service is outstanding.
It's ironic that I was flamed here for a long trip that did tip enough to cover my fuel expenses and now you're saying that I shouldn't have been tipped? 😂

Kind of difficult to offer "outstanding" service when you are giving someone a ride. I supplied a safe trip from A to B, AC, conversation, music, and a source of entertainment in the form of a gaming tablet. I also loaded and unloaded his luggage. Plus, I accepted a long trip downtown - many won't.

Was I supposed to give him a foot massage and a free meal as well? 😂

Do you stiff your barber and waiter on a tip because they didn't meet your inflated standards?

Many people don't tip drivers, however I would like to think that a former driver would appreciate the trip and efforts. He even acknowledged dead miles.

Ssgcraig

It's ironic that I was flamed here for a long trip that did tip enough to cover my fuel expenses and now you're saying that I shouldn't have been tipped? 😂

Kind of difficult to offer "outstanding" service when you are giving someone a ride. I supplied a safe trip from A to B, AC, conversation, music, and a source of entertainment in the form of a gaming tablet. I also loaded and unloaded his luggage. Plus, I accepted a long trip downtown - many won't.

Was I supposed to give him a foot massage and a free meal as well? 😂

Do you stiff your barber and waiter on a tip because they didn't meet your inflated standards?

Many people don't tip drivers, however I would like to think that a former driver would appreciate the trip and efforts. He even acknowledged dead miles.
Wait staff are paid BELOW minimum wage and only report credit card tips. The IRS should be more concered witht them instead of Uber drivers that don't get a 1099 and are under 20K. I have been irritated once because of a non-tipper. When I do get them, I am appreciative.

I agree with you that a former driver should know that tips help a lot, but I would not categorize it as screwing you. I am not saying that you shouldn't have been tipped.

I don't have inflated standards, just realistic expectations. I have noticed that tips have increaded over the last year, I certainly do not turn them down.

Flamed you? I don't know what that means.

Munsuta

Wait staff are paid BELOW minimum wage and only report credit card tips. The IRS should be more concered witht them instead of Uber drivers that don't get a 1099 and are under 20K. I have been irritated once because of a non-tipper. When I do get them, I am appreciative.

I agree with you that a former driver should know that tips help a lot, but I would not categorize it as screwing you. I am not saying that you shouldn't have been tipped.

I don't have inflated standards, just realistic expectations. I have noticed that tips have increaded over the last year, I certainly do not turn them down.

The "tipping isn't mandatory" bot has struck again.

Invisible

Got to talking, he drove U/L full time for around six months prior to becoming a trucker.
It could be different reasons, like he did U/L when it first started and tips weren’t common, maybe he forgot, maybe the tip will come in a wk or maybe he had no money this wk.

I had my first long trip yesterday, 65 miles. Guy didn’t tip, but I was happy to still make $50 after gas. It was a nice road trip and s break from the city.

Look at the positives instead of the no tip. You weren’t expecting any more trips when you received the ping.

FLKeys

I have given rides to 9 people that said they were or currently are Uber/Lyft drivers. Discussion with them leaves me to believe they were/are because they new some key points that riders would not normally know. A whopping 1 of the 9 have tipped me. The one that did tip me did so in cash and on the app. $5 in cash $2 on the app for a 11 mile ride.

The strangest one was a guy I picked up about 2 weeks ago. I pulled in and there were 3 cars in the yard, all 3 had Uber & Lyft stickers in the front and back windows. He told me he and his wife drive as well. As I was picking him up his wife was getting into another car with a big tablet in the window. I could clearly see she was just starting up the Uber & Lyft apps. He was going to Miami to pick-up a motorcycle. $85 trip to Miami, why not just have the wife take him? He did not tip, even after asking me to wait to end the trip until he gets the Motorcycle started just in case he needs a ride back.

Diamondraider

Waitstaff are taxed on 12% of gross revenue.

That is the equivalent of being taxed on 12% of total pax fares.

Ssgcraig

Waitstaff are ecouraged to report $7.65 an hour to cover the credit towards the minimum wage (MA). I have never heard of 12% of gross revenue. Do you mean 12% of sales?

FLKeys

Waitstaff are taxed on the tips they declare to their employer. If a company as a hole has waitstaff that declares less that 8% of gross sales the waitstaff as a whole will be taxed on allocated tips to make up the difference. If waitstaff do not want to pay taxes on these allocated tips they can dispute it by providing proper detailed tip logs to the IRS.

Companies may have other policies in place however what I stated above is basically industry standard and follows IRS rules.