50 minute wait = $5

Androidcoder

When UberEats started in Minneapolis, about a year ago, you would get $5 for every ten minutes waited, at least theoretically. I actually did get some $10 and a couple $15 wait fees last spring when there were no boosts and no tips. At $3-$5 per delivery these wait fees were critical time compensation, and few drivers knew about it until some postings I made in the Minneapolis Eats blog. Now besides the 15 minimum wait it appears $5 is indeed the max, this is the longest test of this I've had. At this point after 15 minutes have passed, I've been informing restaurants I'm getting $5 every ten minutes I wait, which I'm not now, but it usually hurries them along as I'm not getting further comp at that point.

In this incident an Indian restaurant, Copper Pot, notorious for a rude manager and long waits, apparently clicked for a pickup when they got the order, instead of when it was ready. The guy phoned me while I was biking there, and I couldn't understand his very broken English, other then there was going to be a wait from something he did. I didn't know it would be nearly and hour. Unfortunately it was part of a double order, which committed me even more. The first customer wasn't happy that his order took two hours (one hour to make it, Copper Pot takes that long to make a meal, and another for the wait on the second customer).

After half an hour waiting, I called support she eventually told me she couldn't cancel the one order on her end. I would have to cancel both and it would count against my cancellation. I expect I could have cancelled the one, but I was committed at that point. Normally in situations where the order is not available, like if the customer calls the restaurant to cancel or it get stolen by a driver who picks the order up and then cancels, I find the only way to get any comp is to accept the phantom order first and then call support. In this situation, however, there was an actual order in the queue so I didn't do this, although I wish now I had. If you accept before calling they will cancel it and you still get paid for the run, at least in my experience.

50minutewaitnopicture.jpg

Last edited:

JimHFD103

I never do stacked orders anymore. You want me to wait for two orders, not 1, verify and confirm two order numbers/names/contents, not just 1, safeguard and transport 2 orders so they don't spill or otherwise get damaged, not just 1, and make sure the right customer gets the right order, even though restaurants often give you identical bags and keep the receipts...piss off both customers because now both customers orders are taking longer to deliver so they don't tip you/down vote you (cuz you're the only face of Uber they'll interact with so it must totally be our fault, yeah?) And for all that double work, only get paid for 1 pickup, 1 wait fee (even if both orders take long enough...). Twice the work for half the (already shitty) pay....nope, not doing, never again.

Now, for the 50 min wait. If I got paid an extra 5 bucks every 10 min like you said you got in the past, I'd be willing to wait too...amd be super extra pissed they only deigned to give you one wait fee now without warning of the change...yeah, sounds like auto cancelling at 10 or 15 min for excessive wait times and moving on...

Eesoso

I press order not ready at 5 mins, cancel at 7-10 mins depending on circumstances. Sometimes places get swamped with orders all at once and if I see they're working hard then I will pass but some places you have people screwing around not paying attention. Nobody got time for that.

tcaud

And you probably got dinged for the trouble. My advice: don't do long waits for the food unless the order is BIG.

Irishjohn831

When you have a double order, there is a check and an X for each. I think if you hit check for one and the X for the other, you can cancel the other one.

I’ve done it once before for an order the restaurant said just came in, the first was ready, and the second would take 25 mins.

I checked and X’ed the other, made a note that it will not be ready for 1/2 hour and to send another driver in 20 mins.

tcaud

I'll just not do doubles... no effective pay differential anyway... actually I seem to make less doing them.

Santa

When I arrive at the restaurant and the food is not ready, I automatically press Order Not Ready. This will Note the time that you have arrived and it will help you to get compensated if it takes 10 mins. 10 mins is max I am going to wait and I will get compensated if I cancel. I do take screen shots just in case Uber says What Order, as it will disappear when it gets cancelled.

I always complain to the Support that the order took excessive time to prepare and that I should be compensated. They will throw me a fiver and I will happily accept it, as it is the max they will pay.

I am No longer going to Pick Up a stack order. I haven't picked many anyways.
And...
I am Not waiting more than 10 mins. I do ask the restaurant as to how much time is it going to take to prepare the food. If they say more than 10 Mins, I cancel Right away and tell them To Not Press Order is ready Next time if it isn't ready.

pcpackrat

Cancel is so much more lucrative than waiting 50 minutes. I completely ignore cancel and acceptance ratings now. They just don't matter. If it's busy, you will get pings. If I get pings over 8 minutes away I say no thanks or let them time out. I still make the same amount of money as any night trying to play the game of keeping those ratings up. Too much hassle and angst.

Androidcoder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cancel is so much more lucrative than waiting 50 minutes. I completely ignore cancel and acceptance ratings now. They just don't matter. If it's busy, you will get pings. If I get pings over 8 minutes away I say no thanks or let them time out. I still make the same amount of money as any night trying to play the game of keeping those ratings up. Too much hassle and angst.
I notice that when you cancel it still counts as an 'accepted' order for your acceptance rating. I read a post here where a driver took advantage of that to complete a quest that needed a certain number of accepted orders in a limited time.

pcpackrat

I noticed that if you don't accept a batched/double order it doesn't count against your acceptance rating. Thought that was good to know.

UberCZ

When I arrive at the restaurant and the food is not ready, I automatically press Order Not Ready. This will Note the time that you have arrived and it will help you to get compensated if it takes 10 mins. 10 mins is max I am going to wait and I will get compensated if I cancel. I do take screen shots just in case Uber says What Order, as it will disappear when it gets cancelled.

I always complain to the Support that the order took excessive time to prepare and that I should be compensated. They will throw me a fiver and I will happily accept it, as it is the max they will pay.

I am No longer going to Pick Up a stack order. I haven't picked many anyways.
And...
I am Not waiting more than 10 mins. I do ask the restaurant as to how much time is it going to take to prepare the food. If they say more than 10 Mins, I cancel Right away and tell them To Not Press Order is ready Next time if it isn't ready.
Good suggestions. I've started to hit "Order Not Ready" as soon as my car is parked at restaurant. Then I take a screenshot as a backup. At least for me, UE now compensates $5 only after 15 (not 10) minutes wait for pickup. I've had some close calls with waiting 14 minute and some seconds and UE won't compensate me due to "company policy," which is why I now hit "Order Not Ready" as soon as I get to the restaurant.

I haven't tried canceling after waiting 15 mins to see if I would get the $5 anyway, but after reading your post, I'll consider doing so.

JimHFD103

I've had some close calls with waiting 14 minute and some seconds and UE won't compensate me due to "company policy," which is why I now hit "Order Not Ready" as soon as I get to the restaurant.
I do the same thing, hit "Order Not yet ready" as soon as I park....I may or may not have taken my time walking into the restaurant, waited 10 min, taken my time walking back where I parked, and waited the additional 90 Seconds to cross the 15 min boundary before I ever say I picked up the order/started the trip lol.
About the only time I like going to a place with a parking garage vs lot. It can eat up 5 min just parking and getting to the pickup and another 5 back out onto the road (but then that just makes it suck even worse when you hit your monthly wait time cap, so I'll just ignore/cancel those ha)

Smart car guy

I usually just turn on UE 15 min before I leave the house so at least my first order is waiting for me and not the other way around.