Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

$5 donation button for No Kid Hungry

5K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  unter ling 
#1 ·
Product Azure Rectangle Font Aqua
Font Parallel Circle Screenshot Wheel

Well, would be easy to add a gratuity feature!

They're feeding the hungry children of Uber drivers everywhere!

See less See more
#4 ·
I was under the impression all Uber Drivers families qualify for this program. That's how I read the email. Every time I see donate, I get $5. Glad the put the tip option in the app. When I see the Donate button I will make sure to tell the customer that they can give me the $5, I will make sure Uber gets it.

#5 ·
First - how shameful - they are hitching their wagon to hungry kids without donating a single penny! Customers are to give back. Secondly wtf are they feeding these kids if $5 would make 50 meals?????? WTF????
And funny how their former Obama campaign manager comes up with Hungry Kids campaign when it's nothing but bad news for luber. Funny

#8 ·
Or......

......we can just tell Riders when they ask what this promotion is all about.

Rider: So what is the $5 No Kid Hungry Button?
Driver: Oh, instead of Tipping your Uber Driver, you can now choose to donate $5 to fee hungry children in the US.
Then in January, it will be changed to a Driver Tip Button. What do you think?

#11 ·
When I saw this donation option I immediately thought about all the drivers who were doing this job to feed their families. I found it sort of insulting. The ultimate two faced corporate propaganda. On one side Uber continues to not pay their drivers enough to live on ... not by a long shot. They wont even give the passengers an option to tip. On the other hand they pull this blatant publicity stunt so they can say "Look at us, we are helping feed hungry people. We at Uber are one of the good guys". Well Uber, you are running this campaign on the backs of your drivers and passengers. You contribute basically nothing.

#18 ·
#26 ·
Look, I'm in favor of donating to good causes AND tipping drivers when possible, but it ticks me off that I wasn't given the "option" to donate the $5 on Thursday to No Kid Hungry, it was mandatory. As a passenger, I was forced to press the donate button in order to call an Uber... when the message popped up to tell me about the campaign, there was no "X" in the corner or a "not now, thanks" button; there was only a "continue" (and donate) button which would allow me to see drivers. I tried tapping outside the message, nothing. I continued forward, cancelled the search and backtracked to the beginning to try it again, same thing: forced to donate.

Either I completely missed how I was supposed to change the option myself from the "donate by default" to "chose not to donate", or Uber was withholding my ride until I donated. If it's the former, then I must say they made it purposefully difficult to figure out for people who hadn't read the e-mail yet, and who were opening up the app to get a ride in a hurry.

Again, I'm not against charity (and to echo the drivers in this thread, I wish there was a tip function like Lyft has), but *I* determine where I donate money. If it has to be procured by holding my ridesharing experience hostage, then it's not charity at all.

#28 ·
Charity navigator is a website that rates charities nationwide. No kid hungry rates 3 out of 4 stars. This is lower than 4 of 5 stars uber uses in its rating system. Do the people that run this charity deactivate themselves???

Reactions: unter ling
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.